Sponsored by:

Dension install and radio help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dension install and radio help please

so I went to install my gateway 500, removed fiber optic from cd changer and plugged it into the dension. Spliced the power from changer in to dension and got nothing. PCM is reading no amp or cd changer , no volume now with radio. Returned wires back to cd changer and still nothing. No power to changer. Did I blow a fuse?? If so which one couldn't find a blown one. Dammit Jim I'm not audio installer!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly when I installed my Dension, it required constant 12 volts, not switched 12 volt which would be from the changer. If you purchased the unit from Eric at Bumper Plug call him, he has the answers! GL
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed mine into a PCM with no CDC and had no problems. A couple of thoughts. Yes check the fuses. Did you get the in/out mixed up on the fiber? Also, the dension requires a continuous power supply. The amp gets one. not sure about the CDC.

It sounds like you somehow disconnected the head unit from the amp. Are you trying to keep the CDC in addition to the Dension?

On edit... I notice you have an 05 which I believe requires the Yazaki connectors. The unit comes standard with Tyco connectors. Did you get the Yazaki connector kit? You can force the yazaki male connectors in the the Tyco plugs, but they won't work. You need the Yazaki cinnector kit.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Bought a used unit from someone with the same year and model car. Not sure what connectors I have but the changer plugged right into the dension. Just don't think I'm getting power. How do I tap into the amps power??
Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

The amp is next to the spare tire on the driver's side. Using the harness that plugs into the amp, find the thick brown wire (ground), and the thick red wire with a brown stripe. The other option is to take it directly to the battery if you have the fuse wired in-line into the dension harness.

It sounds like it might be a power problem since you plugged the CDC MOST directly into the Dension. Also, check the dip switch settings, and that you have all the parts. there is a service unit with an on/off switch and two RCA connectors that is used to turn it off for service. That needs to be plugged in as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get it working and see what you have, just take power off the battery post for now... Once it works you can pretty it up.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you get a chance to see the DIY writeup with pics I did on the Dension install? It is at the top of this forum in the DIY sticky thread. Let's start there and then see if we can get you operational.

FYI.....

here is step #8 from my install:

8. Rather than tap into an unswitched power source, it was much easier to just run right into the battery since Dension include an in-line fuse with their power wire. The Dension unit requires an unswitched source so the battery is the way to go. I also tapped into the grounding block for the battery as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. will try to run power from the battery tonight. How come I I'm not getting power now even though I returned everything back to the cd changer? What fuse powers the amp?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

FYI-

I found a cable/connector with switched, unswitched and ground all behind the console...and purchased a mating connector and fabbed a harness with fuses to power all my add ons... so one plug and it is back to OE. (well, the wires at least! )
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
FYI-

I found a cable/connector with switched, unswitched and ground all behind the console...and purchased a mating connector and fabbed a harness with fuses to power all my add ons... so one plug and it is back to OE. (well, the wires at least! )
Are you talking about the phone connector? That's a good one inside the cabin and use it for my extra accessories that I have direct wired
Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
Are you talking about the phone connector? That's a good one inside the cabin and use it for my extra accessories that I have direct wired

I guess it is the phone connector, although I'd seen some disagreement that that was a phone (didn't the phone go under the seat?)...but yes, beckerautosound sells it as a phone connector:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_porsche.html

The engineer in me likes this fitment.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Finally figured it out. After pulling my hair out trying all kinds of things the answer was simple. Seems the dension unit times out, just had to unplug it for a little bit, hook her back up and she's good to go. Thanks for the Replies.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM
SSST
Drifting

What makes it time out? I've never had that happen.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Matt,
Glad things worked out. Since I hadn't heard from you, I thought that you got it straight. By the way, I got a set of new Forged Silicone Boost Hoses, killer deal. If you are interested, let me know. Plan on installing mine this weekend.
Tim
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the Denison GW500 with my PCMII + CD changer combo system. One thing I would advise when configuring the menu for text display is to look at the display on the PCMII for the correct submenu/option rather than following the instructions in the Denison manual. It appears that the software has been updated and the instructions in the technical manual are no longer accurate.

I have a couple of questions, however: In IPOD mode, when selecting track or song, I use the right **** to scroll through the menu. However, if I scroll down the list to a particular track but do not press select on the control ****, the song is still selected. I do not know if I made an error in the configuration between the "paging" function and the "select" function? Can anyone advise? Should I update my software? I am using an IPOD Touch.

Quick Reply: Dension install and radio help please