Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Partial brake lockup under threshold braking at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st step get rid of those Oranges up front, NOT good pads for our track and your car -
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
gbhstrat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here is my update. I started my track day yesterday with a new set of red calipers- and Pagid yellows on all corners. I kept everything connected for PSM and kept PSM on for the first lap. Once my tires were warm, I turned off PDM as soon as it started fighting me. I could still feel the PSM stab my brakes as I started to brake hard on the big downhill into turn 3A. I finished the session trying to find the edge but not going too hard into trail braking. No lock ups but I was not happy with the way the way PSM was starting to go into ABS mode too early. I also had a brake fluid low warning light come on but the brake fluid was fine. For the next run I disconnected the PSM from the brake system as noted in this thread. I could instantly feel the difference. To be specific, with the PSM connected, there are bigger pulses and there are points where the system seems to jab the brakes. With the PSM disconnected, I could trail brake hard and not even experience PSM coming on except for very brief moments. The only down side is I threw an engine warning light and a PSM warning light. I was able to really push the car with my new confidence in my brakes, almost too much. I got a little too aggressive and went too hot into a corner and ended up going off road for a short drive in the gravel. I was having a blast and during the afternoon session I drifted a little wide and clipped a track out cone with my right bumper. The orange cone took out my right radiator with no visible damage to anything else. I did not hit a hole, I just drove over the cone and it pushed up the plastic cover and snapped the radiator were the hose connects. Water all over the track – done for the day. The other drivers were thankful that I run WaterWetter and not antifreeze so that was good. Now I just have to get my car ready for Saturday – new Radiator on order with overnight shipping (ouch!). On a side note, after my car broke, I drove with my buddy who I was chasing all day . He has the same 2001 turbo as I do except he has put more into his car. He keeps PSM on but has none of my symptoms. He has the Brembo big brakes on all corners and a GT3 master cylinder. He also has Motons and I have the JICs. His PSM light does not even flash at him. I was wondering if the PSM system was even on. Can the ECU flash change how PSM operates? He has Kevin’s flash and I have a FVD flash.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Yes, there are mods or tweeks in the programming. The PSM has a direct influence on the ECU.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
gbhstrat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, I wish I had your flash, its on my wish list of future things but my budget is limited to just keeping my car going with tires, brake pads and things I keep breaking. I need an exhaust as well (or just race cats). Anthony pulls 1.1 bar, he only has the race cats on with ported headers) along with your flash and thats perfect for the track.

Last edited by gbhstrat; 06-08-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes, there are mods or tweeks in the programming. The PSM has a direct influence on the ECU.
Hey Kevin,
Bringing this thread from the dead, what "mods or tweeks" in the programming do you offer through your flash regarding shutting off the PSM? I was not aware that could be done. Thanks in advance....
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kevin,

I am interested in this as well; how your flash affects PSM. I was at the track yesterday and had the same low brake fluid warning but my fluid was fine. I was running with the PSM on and would only get that reading when the track was dry. When it rained or when I drove home no warning.

I would also get the low fluid warning on Autocross courses where you hardly break, only turn sharp, even with PSM off. (This was before your flash and haven't run since).

Thanks in advance,

Tytus
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tytus
Kevin,

I am interested in this as well; how your flash affects PSM. I was at the track yesterday and had the same low brake fluid warning but my fluid was fine. I was running with the PSM on and would only get that reading when the track was dry. When it rained or when I drove home no warning.

I would also get the low fluid warning on Autocross courses where you hardly break, only turn sharp, even with PSM off. (This was before your flash and haven't run since).

Thanks in advance,

Tytus
Tytus,
I've talked to some techs at Porsche and everyone is stumped regarding the low fluid warning at the track. They think it is the fluid lever float unporting in high G turns with the fluid sloshing around. I always run at the track with PSM OFF and still get the low level warning when the fluid gets hot and expands in volume thus raising the level in the reservoir above the MAX arrow. What I did last time is suck out a little fluid from the reservoir bringing the level PRECISELY to the bottom of the MAX arrow. Since then, I have not had any issues with the low lever warning. Give that a shot as it worked in my case. I alway figured having the fluid a hair above max would help but it seems the opposite is true. Still waiting to hear from Kevin how his flash affects PSM......
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

With the ECU programming we cannot SHUT down the PSM. However, we can allow for left foot braking and throttle pedal manipulation. The minute that you have the throttle engaged and you tap the brakes the PSM goes into action. If you are entering a corner the PSM can provide it version of stability. Which might be the "drivers" wish.

While it offers some success in dealing with PSM, it does not provide 100% relief.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
With the ECU programming we cannot SHUT down the PSM. However, we can allow for left foot braking and throttle pedal manipulation. The minute that you have the throttle engaged and you tap the brakes the PSM goes into action. If you are entering a corner the PSM can provide it version of stability. Which might be the "drivers" wish.

While it offers some success in dealing with PSM, it does not provide 100% relief.
Thanks for the explanation Kevin. I guess the only way to disable PSM while keeping ABS is to disconnect the plug to the pre-charge pump which of course will trigger the warning lights in the dash. I wonder if installing some type of a resistor ahead of the pre-charge pump would fool it into thinking it was still plugged in and not trigger the lights on the dash? Thoughts??
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Tytus,
I've talked to some techs at Porsche and everyone is stumped regarding the low fluid warning at the track. They think it is the fluid lever float unporting in high G turns with the fluid sloshing around. I always run at the track with PSM OFF and still get the low level warning when the fluid gets hot and expands in volume thus raising the level in the reservoir above the MAX arrow. What I did last time is suck out a little fluid from the reservoir bringing the level PRECISELY to the bottom of the MAX arrow. Since then, I have not had any issues with the low lever warning. Give that a shot as it worked in my case. I alway figured having the fluid a hair above max would help but it seems the opposite is true. Still waiting to hear from Kevin how his flash affects PSM......
When I did have it between Max and Min it triggered. Yesterday at the track it was at the bottom (Tip) of the top Max arrow when I checked and still triggered. Did you suck out the fluid hot, after a run or cold before going on the track?

I did notice that since the flash the PSM is less invasive than it was before but when it kicked in it was more effective than before. I am not sure if this is a difference in the track conditions, temperature, or just my imagination. I will try with it turned off, not unplugged next time and see what happens. Problem is I will be at a different track at my next event so everything will be different again. I'll experiment at the same track and not the differences on the same day.

Tytus

Quick Reply: Partial brake lockup under threshold braking at the track