X50 worth premium over base TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Default X50 worth premium over base TT?

Hi All

Im getting very close to buying my first PCar. I prefer (I think) X50 cars over base Turbos, but now that Im in the 11th hour, Im asking myself why.

I think that the X50s have a premium of about $3-5k over base Turbos for only 30HP. I understand that there are parts that go along with X50s, but what else should I be thinking about given that I can flash an ECU for $1500 and get a reliable 100HP increase on the base?

I am sure that I will flash whatever car I get (if it isnt already done). What does a flashed X50 vs flashed base look like?

Am I wasting money on an X50? I need that money for wheels/exhaust/GT2 wing!

TIA
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The important thing in my mind is to find a clean car that you are happy with and fits your budget.

The bottom line is that the regular turbo is too fast to take to the limits on the street. Even if you are going to track it, you can take a regular turbo well past the capabilities of an x50 for the difference in proce. Once you get to that point, further upgrades are kind of a wash.

Just my .02.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to track the car the X50 is worth it. If not, you should be happy with any nice tt, especially with an ECU flash.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

100hp on the base, who's been selling you that bridge??? Keep in mind a lot of flash results as posted is with mods!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Multifactorial analysis needed...

While the X50 gives you 30HP in stock form, as a platform to add mods (ie flash and exhaust) the X50 will yield much more gain than the stock K16.

You can, of course, add larger turbos to a TT and surpass the K24 platform- and the price of doing this is pretty reasonable these days. turbos, intercoolers. So this means an X50 is useful, but worth just under what the mods would otherwise cost. (One exception are for 'stockers'- people who will not modify cars past stock, hence the only option for more power from Porsche is the X50...)

Personally I got lucky in that the car I wanted, miles, color, etc, had the X50.

As has been stated, go for the other intangible/immutables: colors, condition, history, miles

And I agree the X50 is worth 3-4k 'premium'...sad for a $17,880 option, eh?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Softronics ECU Flash on my TT. They say their flash adds another 90 HP. I don't know if it does or not, but I know that if I stomp on my car after getting the clutch engaged, it damn near flies!! Do I want another 30 - 50 HP on top of that? What would I use it for?

larry
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Been looking for a nice Turbo with some certain options since June of last year when I sold my '99 cab. Had half a dozen walk around inspections and PPIs done. Couldn't find a car I wanted that passed the tests so I went the other route. Found a near mint car in every respect, a mechanical gem with a very clean and documented history, serviced on average every 2300 miles.

I too wanted the X50 and a bunch of other stuff I didn't get. But I did get a wonderful car and now that I'm driving it I don't even care.

According to my manual, 0-60 times are exactly the same and X50s top speed is less than 2 mph faster top speed. I've driven both as my brother has an X50 and can't tell the difference. I've heard the smaller turbos of the non X50 spool up faster and hit harder down lower in the rpm range. I researched it a bunch and felt it was a wash.

Find the car you like with or without, decide for yourseld what it's worth. In my looking at hundreds of turbos some charge a premium for it some don't add anything at all. Prices are all over the place and in the end the price paid does not necessarily reflect what you get.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
cjaz
Intermediate

I bought a car with X-50 and aero kit. i valued those two options at 7500 or at 30% of new cost. To me that seemed very fair. I personally wanted a stock car, one with the best and fastest platform from the factory. It's been a little over three years and I haven't flashed mine yet. I have added a cargraphic loud exhaust though.

I would say if you are already set on flashing your car, X-50 is probably a little less important. I not sure any flash alone will get you 100 hp though. Wouldn't you have to run 1.3 or 1.4 bar of boost to get close to 100?

chris
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Lots of great advice up there, thanks!

My desire for an X50 is largely driven by wanting something a little more special. I wont track the car at all (have 60+ days on my previous car and I cant see getting back into that at this time) and even the base is plenty fast enough for me - but I understand that the flash gives better response and improves usability beyond just increasing peak HP. That is what appeals to me. Waiting for the flash is probably a good idea - no rush!

The car that Im considering currently is a low miles very clean stock car. It is optioned *close* to what I want. Its missing sport seats and NAV. NAV isnt a deal breaker for me and I assume that I can pick up some sport seats used inexpensively. Otherwise, its clean, owned by who I would call a great person to buy a car from, has full service history, is said to have had no reliability issues in the past, its the color I want and has most of the trim options I want. Seems pretty good to me!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
The car that Im considering currently is a low miles very clean stock car. It is optioned *close* to what I want. Its missing sport seats and NAV. NAV isnt a deal breaker for me and I assume that I can pick up some sport seats used inexpensively. Otherwise, its clean, owned by who I would call a great person to buy a car from, has full service history, is said to have had no reliability issues in the past, its the color I want and has most of the trim options I want. Seems pretty good to me!
If you really want the factory PCM navigation system, then it is pretty easy to install. I bought a PCM2 headunit off of fleabay and new GPS module, brackets, and maps off of Suncoast Porsche. Total cost was less than $1200.

Michael.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

What do you guys figure a reasonable price for a totally stock b/b 2002 X50 with supple leather, small carbon (including wheel), 20k miles, xenons, clean car with full history is? Needs new rear rubber.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
cjaz
Intermediate

If it's a one owner car that's been taken car of and there are maintenance records for it, it would say 47-52k. You can find guys that are going to say low 40's but if you value x50, low miles, good seller, it's worth more than low 40's. i'm guessing msrp was 130-140k?

there aren't that many low mile, stock , x50 cars out there with one or 2 owners and full service history.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

If it's any use in your pricing evaluation, I just bought a somewhat similar vehicle a couple weeks ago. Planned on starting a "hello..." thread; just haven't yet.

2002 X50, 6 spd, polar silver over black full leather with red deviated stitching, small carbon, white gauges, red belts, PCM, 30k miles (30k mile service just performed by PO, along with new tires all around, which was approx. $4,500 total IIRC), with Porsche CPO until Feb 2012. Stock everything except for 997 SSK, 997 tranny mount, mild RSS hubcentric spacers in the rear. Good brakes, new clutch.

Basically "like new" inside and out... hard to believe it's 9 years old. Also came with uninstalled NIB Evo billet DVs, a full set of factory manuals, most major books/records/history, etc. Porsche Certificate of Authenticity with original options and vehicle's total MSRP ($146k). Probably a few other things I'm forgetting too.

Paid $52k USD. While perhaps not the steal of the century, I don't feel that I drastically overpaid either, and have been watching the 996TT market intently over the last couple years.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Thank you both, that is helpful.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
sfhondapilot
AutoX

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
If it's any use in your pricing evaluation, I just bought a somewhat similar vehicle a couple weeks ago. Planned on starting a "hello..." thread; just haven't yet.

2002 X50, 6 spd, polar silver over black full leather with red deviated stitching, small carbon, white gauges, red belts, PCM, 30k miles (30k mile service just performed by PO, along with new tires all around, which was approx. $4,500 total IIRC), with Porsche CPO until Feb 2012. Stock everything except for 997 SSK, 997 tranny mount, mild RSS hubcentric spacers in the rear. Good brakes, new clutch.

Basically "like new" inside and out... hard to believe it's 9 years old. Also came with uninstalled NIB Evo billet DVs, a full set of factory manuals, most major books/records/history, etc. Porsche Certificate of Authenticity with original options and vehicle's total MSRP ($146k). Probably a few other things I'm forgetting too.

Paid $52k USD. While perhaps not the steal of the century, I don't feel that I drastically overpaid either, and have been watching the 996TT market intently over the last couple years.
I think that price is very fair (as I've been watching the market for about the past year as well).

Quick Reply: X50 worth premium over base TT?