Sponsored by:

X50 worth premium over base TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjaz
I honestly believe half the guys that say it's a waste of money looked for an X50car, couldn't find one, so they hate on it and say it's not worth it. It's pretty funny if you ask me.

If those of us that are paying an extra 4k for it are idiots, then the all the guys that payed 17k for it must be really, really stupid.

And can someone please tell me what flash they have that by itself gets you 90 or 100 hp on k16's? I see these numbers being thrown around.

chris
Chris:

I hope that all of you guys realize that this is intended to be friendly Pcar banter. If you take my comments as seriously questioning your sanity or intelligence, then you are missing the fun of these forums. That being said . . . . .

There are a lot of expensive options that Porsche put in their cars when new that we (who bought them used) got nearly free, or paid only a little for them. Certainly, I was not willing to spend more for Rosewood trim, a $7,000 option, or CF Trim (even though I like the way it looks) for about the same $7,000. I wanted sport seats with painted backs, but found that they didn't add to the price of the car I bought.

But the $17,000 option for X50? I didn't look for one, but saw a couple that I thought were way overpriced, at least for me. Certainly if you buy a $17,000 option and only get between $2,000 or $3,000 for it when selling it used, you have probably not gotten your moneys worth in the purchase. I have to also wonder if you were even able to feel the additional 30 HP that the X50 package provided. Remember, that is only a 7% increase in power!!

Now, regarding the "hype" of 90 additional horsepower in a ECU Tune. I was mistaken. The Softronics tune in my car only added 80 HP, not 90.

Originally Posted by Softronic Tuning.com
The 996 Turbo is one of the most popular enthusiast and tuner vehicles of its time. With the ability to reach double its stock horsepower and over 200mph on the stock engine, speed junkies are all over the 996 Turbo. Softronic is one of the original engine tuners of this beast. The K16 turbos offer alot more in gains then any other vehicle. It is the best horsepower per dollar to flash your 996 Turbo. The car comes factory making only .6 – .7bar of boost. Once flashed, the car will make a consistant 1.0 bar of boost gaining you about 80HP and 90ft/lbs of torque.

Stock Power – 415HP and 413ft/lbs
Tuned Power – 495HP and 503ft/lbs
But that 80 HP is a 19% increase in power for only $1,595. Compare that to a 7% increase in power for $17,000. Dollar for dollar, you make your choice. (BTW, this is not intended to be an advertisement for the Softronics tune - I only use it as an example because that is the tune that came with my car.)

We all made choices when we looked for our Perfect Pcar. Whether it be a special edition, or a color, or interior features, or some "perfect" mod that the PO installed on the car. We paid our dollars and brought home the car we wanted. I HOPE that those who looked specifically for an X50 are still happy with the price premium they paid for it. For me . . . . . . it wasn't something that I wanted and wasn't something I looked for. So seriously, it never entered into my equation.

larry
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
DMac225
Intermediate

Great discussion! I am new to the TT family, but I completely "dusted" a Z06 from a 60MPH roll yesterday, from a Corvette guy who just couldn't pass up the chance to run the Turbo 'S'. His car was extremely loud when he got on it, but he got very quiet as the big Turbo 'S' turbos spooled up. I'm anxious to get the ECU flash done, because the car flies as is!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

In a stock to stock comparison, the k24s are just too laggy for my tastes. For the kind of driving I do, initial throttle response is more important than the pull in the upper RPM range. I seem to remember that the k16s produce their maximum boost something like 500 RPM sooner than the k24s (I reserve the right to revise and extent this comment).

As for running other cars on public roads, my suggestion is to be absolutely sure it is the perfect time and place to do so, and even then consider not doing it. If you do some research, you might find the risk is not worth the reward.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 AM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Thank you all so much for the very helpful info - it is really guiding me in a better direction. The personal experiences that you have shared will save me money, which I need for some mods (wheels, GT2 wing, exhaust for some grunt)!

I remember meeting you Jorligan. Is this you? I hope we meet again soon!

I have found a couple X50s that I really love but the sellers are asking too much money versus "market prices" above..Im going to keep looking.

Right now Im wrestling with the modded vs not dillema. I WILL be driving the car 12 months a year here in Toronto and it will have snow tires on it in the winter. Im worried that a lowered (2inches+) will not have sufficient clearance and Im also worried that A/F ratios may be out of whack in sub zero degrees on a tuned car. Seems crazy to winter drive some of the monsters that I am coming across but they look and sound so awesome vs stock cars, and they're priced very similar. They seem like the better buy as long as they were done properly.

But my head tells me to find a nice stock car and do some very mild mods to it and call it a day. Usability 12-months a year, including in horrible winter weather, is a priority.

Keep the advice coming folks. You have been most helpful.
That's me. The NSX looks different, Black interior and some other cosmetic changes. The Porsche is also my daily driver and we have similar weather here in Michigan. Planning on doing the same thing in the winter. The options on our car thus far include new diverter valves which came with the car (I think Forge), exhaust which came with car (Tubi), possibly an engine flash since the boost gauge reads 1.1 bar boost but I am hoping to confirm soon, new boost hoses (Forge), Porsche 997 SSK short shift kit, BBS 19" wheels, aftermarket stereo with navigation (Kenwood, Morel, Rainbow, Xtant), Agency Power rear toe links (ordered), and planning on coilovers to lower the car (Probably KW3). If necessary, I put in the KW3 front end kit to raise the car. I drove an E93 M3 which had a Vorsteiner front lip with snow tires for 2 years including through 6 inches of snow and a blizzard without major issues and I do not expect much problem with the Porsche.
Tim
Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

I am however,very happy with my almost done deal on a low mileage X50 with RUF 550 conversion whether it's worth to any one else or not
So who else here thinks,CF interior,Turbo-S,GT3RS etc etc is not worth the money
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
So who else here thinks,CF interior,Turbo-S,GT3RS etc etc is not worth the money
Whether or not any of those are worth the money depends on the individual making the decision.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 AM
timmhaines
Instructor

Over 62,000 on a 2004 x50 996 cab tip Ruf, I recommend it, amazing car, still impresses me. We normally do long drives and it has proven to be very reliable, and very fast over long distance. I.e Calgary to Big Sky Montana in a day, including the road to the rising sun north to south. Once ran 4195 miles in 12 days in it. Do recommend using 97 or 100 Octane or at least mixing some 110 in every so often, really changes when you run 97+, straight 110 doesn't seem to do more than the 97. Also have x73 which isn't bad on most state highways, except CA which their roads make your fillings come loose.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Bryce
Instructor

I made a regression model of 100 sales and estimated the value of the x50 package. I think it was in the 2-3k range. The results of my model are on this forum and 6speed somewhere.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryce
I made a regression model of 100 sales and estimated the value of the x50 package. I think it was in the 2-3k range. The results of my model are on this forum and 6speed somewhere.

having had an x50 car, i would agree that the value on the used car market for this option is fairly estimated around $2/$3k. the value to me of the k24 platform while driving it however, as opposed to a stock k16 tt, was incalculable. having driven a few iterations of the tt, i really wouldn't be happy with a stock k16 car and that factory bump of 30hp with the x50 is VERY significant indeed.

i do agree with a previous poster who characterized the x50 as having a bit too much "lag" at lower rpm's for the kind of drving many of us do. but i now understand viscerally why hybrid k16/24's were built. they provide the best of both setups, for many
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

This has been debated to death. If you will not mod your car the XP50 is worth it but in such case turbo S is worth even more.

If you will tune, forget it. You are pissing your money away. I said this on 6speed; flash + exhaust on a standard car will yield about 500bhp crank with fast early spinning turbos = ideal for most applications. My car is XP50 flashed + exhaust estimated at 530bhp. My friend has the same mods but on a standard car with K16’s. In a side by side race, his car is only marginally slower but feels snappier (earlier boost) in all driving/racing condition but above 150mph on autobahn - all the way to top speed (205mph – speedo indicated) where I only pull about 10 car lengths on him. Honestly I thought I will murder him but the sad fact was - I didn’t! In order to dramatically “walk away” from anything that already has 500bhp you need serious power to break that air resistance; bigger turbos and extra 50bhp simply won’t cut it.

For me usable power band is the key unless you have a specific aim? How often are you racing above 150mph where big turbos come into play? My top speed on only few fast race track straights is 160mph. Get big turbos if you want to be king on the autobahn with long stretches of straights, otherwise standard car with flash and exhaust is pretty much an ideal set-up for fast street driving and amateur racing.

Quick Reply: X50 worth premium over base TT?