996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help auto diming rear view

Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've met Scott a few times at the local car meets; he is OCD and meticulous.

Michael.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
I've met Scott a few times at the local car meets; he is OCD and meticulous.

Michael.
That's good news! I watched a few of his videos and I could see he knows his stuff!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
raineycd
Racer

Mirror done and on it's way back! Should have it Monday! I will let you know how it looks!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM
raineycd
Racer

Got my mirror back! Looks great and works better than new! Was a very easy deal compared to all the mods I have done! lol
Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

raineycd - did you just have it repaired or did you have other features applied?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
raineycd
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
raineycd - did you just have it repaired or did you have other features applied?
I just had it repaired. Would be cool to have a V1 display in there and homelink. I already have a concealed radar, and didn't want to drop the cash on homelink. I have a rear wiper button on my dash that will work great for the garage door opener mod!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Got my mirror back from Symbesma. $90+ s/h. Mirror looks and works perfectly. This is the way to go for anyone encountering a similar issue. From my understanding the technology is also updated to replace the liquid with a gel that is less likely to fail and corrode interior plastics.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the mirror down he said. It will slide right off he said. OK so now done but due to a ham on the end of each arm I now have some refitting of wires to do!

On the upside I did manage to clean the rain sensor so maybe that will work if i can work out the rewiring!

Edit - not as bad as I thought, there was a red wire that I thought I'd pulled out but it appears it was already disconnected and tucked away. So, either it's not needed or perhaps related to my poorly-functioning auto wipers. I broke off the little circuit board that was hanging from one (brown) wire, will reconnect at some point but would like to know what it does.

Cheers Ben

Last edited by Ben_C; 02-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok so once again who is the best person to repair this please & what about the integrated rain sensor ?
Old 01-03-2016, 03:57 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html They can answer any questions you have.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
http://www.radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html They can answer any questions you have.
The go-to guys for mirror issues!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From CES 2016 -- BMW ditches mirrors for a safer side-view camera system.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM
gearhead13
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 996 turbo mirror just failed, and fortunately I didn't see any leakage in the car on the console. So I sent the mirror out for a repair and when I got it back, the housing was damaged (melted) on the bottom and on the top near the seam. I was told that the liquid from the mirror must have leaked during the shipping and caused the damage when I questioned the condition of the repair.
Is the liquid caustic enough to melt the plastic? I certainly don't want to be unfair with my criticism or jump to conclusions since this is a first for me.
The mirror glass works fine now(great job there), but the housing looks pretty shabby around the seam. Anybody have any experience with this repair where the mirror housing plastic was damaged and needed to be glued?
Thanks
Rick

Last edited by gearhead13; 02-26-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhead13
My 996 turbo mirror just failed, and fortunately I didn't see any leakage in the car on the console. So I sent the mirror out for a repair and when I got it back, the housing was damaged (melted) on the bottom and on the top near the seam. Looked like a burn from a heat gun or solvent. I was told that the liquid from the mirror must have leaked during the shipping and caused the damage when I questioned the condition of the repair.
I suspect some of the damage on the housing was due to the solvent in the glue used to cement the the two halves of the mirror assembly together. Is the liquid caustic enough to melt the plastic, or am I just getting a story from the person that repaired the mirror? I certainly don't want to be unfair with my criticism since this is a first for me.
The mirror glass works fine now(great job there), but the housing looks pretty shabby around the seam and where a glob of glue looks to have leaked around the bottom of the housing. It's not acceptable aesthetically by reasonable standards.
Anybody have any experience with this repair where the mirror housing plastic was damaged and needed to be glued?
I don't want to be unfair to the person that repaired the mirror but feel as though the work was rushed and that I should have been contacted when the mirror was received, rather than plodding through and sending back a shabby looking repair . Looks like I will be buying a new mirror and just threw my money away. Should I ask for my money back? I didn't want to post pictures yet until I have more facts.
Thanks
Rick
i would think a burn from a iron would look very different from a caustic burn
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gearhead13
My 996 turbo mirror just failed, and fortunately I didn't see any leakage in the car on the console. So I sent the mirror out for a repair and when I got it back, the housing was damaged (melted) on the bottom and on the top near the seam. I was told that the liquid from the mirror must have leaked during the shipping and caused the damage when I questioned the condition of the repair.
Is the liquid caustic enough to melt the plastic? I certainly don't want to be unfair with my criticism or jump to conclusions since this is a first for me.
The mirror glass works fine now(great job there), but the housing looks pretty shabby around the seam. Anybody have any experience with this repair where the mirror housing plastic was damaged and needed to be glued?
Thanks
Rick
Where did you send it for repair? I need to send mine out, so just curious...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help auto diming rear view