Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT NOT HOLDING ALL REVS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had the SSK installed yesterday. The book time (at least what I was told and accepted is 3 hours). That should be no more than $300 - 350 for the install and the part is around $450-$500.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Doubleurx,

So there you go,around 1K.
350$+450$+tax,which in Ny is crazy 8.875!
In my opinion they don't need 3 hrs to do it....2 at the most I would say. They put 3 hours,because you're paying for their 1 hr lunch break too. And the labour hour at the dealer in Ny is 125$!
The thing is Kevinmacd is right,you could probably do it for less at a good shop...450$ the part and like 250$ the install,but the problem is to find a shop you can trust.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You were given some good advice that can answer many of your questions. Join PCA in your area, I assume you are in NY and possibly NYC. There are many clubs in this area and they all hold DE events at various tracks in the vacinity. They also list independant shops for inspecting cars before track events, and that is how you will find reputable and capable shops.

The clubs are full of wonerful people with lots of experience and each club lists their technical advisors in their monthly magazines and web sites. Google search the PCA clubs in your area and they can lead you to a great mechanic.

I assure you that if you like your car and want to get to drive it the way it was meant to be driven in a safe environment you should try a DE event, they are a blast but be careful as they are also very addicting.

Good luck

Tytus
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

At any repair shop including the dealer, the clock ticks from the moment they get in the car, so the 3 hours also includes, getting the car in the shop, prepping tools needed, the actual work, clean up and moving the car out of the shop for pick up. I can say it is definitely worth it. Unbelievable difference in teh shift action and precision. It reminds me of the custom shifter I had in my STI.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really think most shops go by book time, because if that were the case some things based on the skill level of the tech could be a lot cheaper and then again less skill more expansive.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I really think most shops go by book time, because if that were the case some things based on the skill level of the tech could be a lot cheaper and then again less skill more expansive.
I agree. I'm just clarifying that "book time" accounts for more time than just doing the actual repair work. It includes prep and clean up time.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Most of the shops you can work out a fix price from the beginning and if you know the person and you've been there before then it's even easier. Like when I take my Subaru...the guy knows me for years and we always work out a deal,but I just can't take my Porsche there because he just doesn't have the diagnostic tools he needs and he just doesn't work on these cars.
In my opinion,the only place you can't work out a good price is the dealer.

Quick Reply: 996TT NOT HOLDING ALL REVS