Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a 2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car. Enjoy it and don't look back. I would trade my power heated soft leather seats for the sport seats in a second. All you need is a flash and an exhaust to really feel the car perform.

Have Fun!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 AM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. In terms of price, I'm not second-guessing myself with the choice of the car. My main issue is with the purchase of any new car. It's pretty hard to justify the expense for another, non-family friendly, good weather toy. Unfortunately, my next step will probably be to prepare my 928 for sale. I just don't have the room for both.

My friend will be picking me up in a couple hours to head down to Don Rosen to pick up the car. I didn't have the cohones to have my wife take me - it's 1 1/2 hours away. Too bad it's supposed to rain all day.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eugkim
My main issue is with the purchase of any new car. It's pretty hard to justify the expense for another, non-family friendly, good weather toy.

......................I didn't have the cohones to have my wife take me - it's 1 1/2 hours away. Too bad it's supposed to rain all day.
If it helps any with your wife - My TT is a daily driver and does taxi duty with my 11 and 13 year old. I drive it every day including all winter in an area that has received over 40 feet of snow this season. It is a wonderful snow car.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
If it helps any with your wife - My TT is a daily driver and does taxi duty with my 11 and 13 year old. I drive it every day including all winter in an area that has received over 40 feet of snow this season. It is a wonderful snow car.
I doubt I'll use it in foul weather. I have my Cayenne that is more convenient. I stopped using my separate winter wheels because I can get by with the 20's and Toyo Proxes ST IIs all year round. We also have a ton of salt and cinder that stays on the roads until May; they can take their toll on the paint. Luckily, both the Cayenne and the new car have clear bras.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
lanny
Racer

congrats- i just bought the same car only an 01
Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

I picked it up today. I hoped to get an early start, as the forecast was for heavy rain in the late morning. I thought I might make it back before the heavens let loose, but unfortunately I was in the dealership for almost 2 hours waiting. The car was detailed, ready to go. I took a test drive, and sat down to settle up. Unfortunately, my salesman, who told me he would be available, had a line of people waiting. The sales manager took care of me, but apologized for the delays. When all was done, I asked if they'd throw in a battery tender for good measure, and he did to make up for the wait.

Just as we were leaving, it started pouring down rain, and continued to do so the whole way home. It was still a great ride home, although I was a little cautious on the PA Turnpike, as the car was hydroplaning a decent amount.

My enthusiasm for the car didn't diminish the first time I saw it. The exterior was mint, except for a little scuff on the front lip. The salesman had told me about it, and it's not something that I'll lose any sleep over. I didn't even consider asking for a replacement. The interior was awesome. There's no question that I love the aluminum dials much more than the black. The full leather interior was also a huge plus, especially on the transmission tunnel. A lot of the painted tunnels had scratches; frankly, I'd either get the leather or leave it black plastic which seemed to tolerate abuse from what I've seen.

Driving it is an absolute joy. However, in my previous drives, I didn't notice that the engine noise is as obvious as it was on the ride home. One thing I have to address immediately is the radio. I haven't listened to FM/AM in years, and surfing the channels is painful. I plan to get a double din nav unit installed sometime soon, probably a Kenwood. I've gotten too used to ipod/Sirius to live without them. I'll probably spring for the rear display as well, although I don't think I need it (like I feel I need it on my Cayenne).

It's sitting in the garage, waiting for a nice day to wash and drive.

BTW, my wife kind of walked by the car in the garage without looking at it when she got home. I think it's like a pink elephant in the room that she's trying to ignore.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I picked it up today. I hoped to get an early start, as the forecast was for heavy rain in the late morning. I thought I might make it back before the heavens let loose, but unfortunately I was in the dealership for almost 2 hours waiting. The car was detailed, ready to go. I took a test drive, and sat down to settle up. Unfortunately, my salesman, who told me he would be available, had a line of people waiting. The sales manager took care of me, but apologized for the delays. When all was done, I asked if they'd throw in a battery tender for good measure, and he did to make up for the wait.

Just as we were leaving, it started pouring down rain, and continued to do so the whole way home. It was still a great ride home, although I was a little cautious on the PA Turnpike, as the car was hydroplaning a decent amount.

My enthusiasm for the car didn't diminish the first time I saw it. The exterior was mint, except for a little scuff on the front lip. The salesman had told me about it, and it's not something that I'll lose any sleep over. I didn't even consider asking for a replacement. The interior was awesome. There's no question that I love the aluminum dials much more than the black. The full leather interior was also a huge plus, especially on the transmission tunnel. A lot of the painted tunnels had scratches; frankly, I'd either get the leather or leave it black plastic which seemed to tolerate abuse from what I've seen.

Driving it is an absolute joy. However, in my previous drives, I didn't notice that the engine noise is as obvious as it was on the ride home. One thing I have to address immediately is the radio. I haven't listened to FM/AM in years, and surfing the channels is painful. I plan to get a double din nav unit installed sometime soon, probably a Kenwood. I've gotten too used to ipod/Sirius to live without them. I'll probably spring for the rear display as well, although I don't think I need it (like I feel I need it on my Cayenne).

BTW, my wife kind of walked by the car in the garage without looking at it when she got home. I think it's like a pink elephant in the room that she's trying to ignore.
Nothing like bringing home a 911. Just let her drive it and all will be good (or really bad if she likes it too much). I also have a cayenne - '06 **** and the sound system is far superior to the Turbo. Keep in mind it is not so easy as just replacing the head unit as the Turbo is wired with FO making a complete replacement of the amp necessary to achieve a quality head unit replacement.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Keep in mind it is not so easy as just replacing the head unit as the Turbo is wired with FO making a complete replacement of the amp necessary to achieve a quality head unit replacement.
Actually, one of the benefits of buying a 2002 is that it doesn't use the MOST system. It's a simple head unit swap. I'll have them move the climate control system to the CD storage slot. I'm not planning any amp or speaker upgrades.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep...my 2002 has been great. Nav died...OEM was a 3k expense...went with a then top of the line Pioneer double din DVD nav unit with bluetooth and xm nav...wonderful and it sounds just fine with the bose speakers. OEM head unit was not covered by factory or aftermarket warranty. Was 900 total..and far superior to the Porsche stuff. Lack of a MOST system, in my mind, is a hugely good thing.

Love my 2002!

Jeff
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-17-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool interior, JCB! Very one-off.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Actually, one of the benefits of buying a 2002 is that it doesn't use the MOST system. It's a simple head unit swap. I'll have them move the climate control system to the CD storage slot. I'm not planning any amp or speaker upgrades.
Congrats on your new to you porsche Yesterday a getleman called me from 5 hours away and made me sell my '06 E55 to him that i loved dearly.
I am now in the process of reading the archives to educate myself about these cars before i embark on the mission to hunt one down.
So what years don't have MOST ( ? ) system where it's easy to upgrade the head unit ?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I learn new things everyday. I thought the MOST system was a 2002 change.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Congrats on your new to you porsche Yesterday a getleman called me from 5 hours away and made me sell my '06 E55 to him that i loved dearly.
I am now in the process of reading the archives to educate myself about these cars before i embark on the mission to hunt one down.
So what years don't have MOST ( ? ) system where it's easy to upgrade the head unit ?
Thanks
MOST started in the 2003s. My approach was to look at 02-05s. I only considered manual, silver/gray/white/midnight blue, stock only. I was flexible with respect to interiors, seats and options. I kept my search between about 42-56k, and waited. My experience is that the good buys go quickly.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Nicely done. My 2003 has the GIAC Flash and Diverter Valves which the prior owner installed in 2009. I do like the added boost that flash provides.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to own a '99 Arctic Silver 911 Cab that I traded in on the '04 Arctic Silver TT Cab; I slipped it into the garage and waited to see if my wife would notice the difference since both cars were the same color, Sadly, my kids and neighbors couldn't keep quiet and they gave it away! ENJOY!!

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 2002