Sponsored by:

Is this IMS noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this IMS noise?

If so, is it too bad? Anything to fix this other than a full rebuild?

If it isn't that noise, what else can it be?

we just put 5w40 tdt in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NulGdaED47M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9WYSV0DC8
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

That higher pitch metalic noise is the chains/IMS.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did the filter look whne you changed the oil last time?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
puma
Racer

yeah we did open up the oil filter and didn't find anything

So Kevin, does that mean it doesn't sound too bad, i mean i know it doesn't sound new but nothing to worry about?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

If that's the engine with the poor leakdown numbers it needs a topend rebuild. I would also bet that you have a few broken lifters. Tell the owner to start saving his money.

I would run engine oil samples and check the filter for metal. I would be changing the oil every 3K miles >> more often if tracked.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
puma
Racer

yeah that's the one, man that sucks, i'll send him some more bad news.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this noise is always there? or does it go away above 2K rpm. It is hard for me to hear it being different from the typical TT rattle at idle noise.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
So this noise is always there? or does it go away above 2K rpm. It is hard for me to hear it being different from the typical TT rattle at idle noise.
I agree, hard to tell from a youtube video on my crappy speakers, but it doesn't sound terrible to me.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
puma
Racer

i will see if i can make some more videos with him while he also give it some gas.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
dragonman4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine rattles like that. although there seems to be something else there, there's a a steady metallic noise that I hear besides the IMS, it's quieter, sounds kind of like a plastic bag being rubbed together.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
herman maire
Racer

The engine itself sounds ok but the rattling can be quite a few things... could be collapsed hydraulic valve unit, loose or failing timing chain guides , bad timing chain even a failed timing chain unit allowing the chain to rattle around. That does not sound like a main or rod bearing.

Did you check where the sound is strongest? head, valve cover timing chain cover ect...

How many miles on the engine?

whats the oil pressure like
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
puma
Racer

oil pressure is ok, at least the same as mine. I beleive it comes more from the chain area on both heads

Thing is it is the exact same sound on both side so i beleive it is the IMS noise but it just does it a lot compared to mine. The sound that we don't like is the tick tick tick thing.

We also have a whinning noise coming from the top, i beleive it might be the power steering pump or the air pump.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
The sound that we don't like is the tick tick tick thing.
When you shot the video, was the engine warmed up? Is the "tick" sound the same for all operating temperatures? Did the sound change when you put in the new weight oil?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
puma
Racer

it didn't seem to change with temperature.

last year he was running 0w40 and we never really heard that sound be we might have never noticed though.

We changed the oil before taking it out of storage so we don't really have any point of comparaison.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Questions for the experts:

In general if the the noise the engine makes is the IMS and chain noise, is that a healthy level of noise? I haven't heard a 997TT or 996tt with more than 20k that wasn't noisy to be honest. So if this noise isn't a normal or healthy level of noise and the engine isn't making abnormal amounts of metal should the engine be torn down for this noise or should it just be monitored and taken care of when an overhaul is due? I read alot of threads on the subject of noise with these engines and all I can gather from any of them is that it may be bad or it may be okay, but a tear down is the only real way to tell. So if a stock engine build costs ~20k and a new engine costs ~20k why worry yourself into tearing it down? And I have heard guys spend all this money on chasing this noise to fix it and then the noise eventually comes back once the parts wear in again. I am not saying their isn't a problem or flaw causing these noises, but at what point does it become an exercise in hypochondria? If the engine fails your bill is ~20k. If you go after a noise it is ~20k. It seems to me that if the engine runs strong and doesn't make metal don't worry about a noise that nearly every 996TT and 997TT with reasonable mileage makes.

In the case of this engine, it is already needing a tear down for other issues so their is really no question on whether it should be fixed. So this one is a no brainer. But is their any break down for the determination for people to know what is normal/healthy and what needs immediate attention? Their are too many noisy engines out there and people looking for advise on this and I think a detailed thread to clear up all the noises these engines make would be helpful. I have read all the threads Kevin has made and have found his posts extremely helpful, but I think their is more to the story on these engines and their issues.

Quick Reply: Is this IMS noise?