Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Puff of smoke on start-up - Is it Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Puff of smoke on start-up - Is it Normal?

I have a 2001 Turbo with 26,000 miles on it. Just got it a month or two ago. (for those that haven't read the 23 threads that I posted over the last few months.)

When I started it up this morning, there was a nice sized puff of smoke wafting over to the neighbor's house. I am sure that this isn't the first time that it happened, but it has been relatively cool around here, and I probably just wrote it off to "condensation evaporation." Well, it was reasonably warm this morning, so the start-up "condensation" didn't dissipate, yep - it was smoke.

I ended up putting a quart of Mobile 1 0W40 in the car last weekend - it was a bit low - and I think that I'll do an oil change this weekend to get myself on schedule. I just don't know what to think of Puff the Magic Dragon! My '73 always gave me a good sized puff when I started it up, but that was a '73. I really didn't think that I would get that from a 2001.

So, is this normal - something that I should just expect? It doesn't do it when the engine is warm, and it doesn't leave a cloud of smoke behind me as I accelerate, so I'm not really worried about engine issues - unless you guys tell me otherwise.

For the meantime, I'm just driving it all over kingdom come. And I love it. I was just wondering about this.

TIA.

larry
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Page
Advanced

I believe it's somewhat normal for our cars. I've read peoples' comments that it has happened to them.

It's happened to me once or twice in the 2 years / 8000 miles that I've had it.
I noticed that if you go for a ride and don't let it cool down idle 1-2 mins, on occasion you'll get a puff of smoke. Or even if the car sits for a long time.

I would suggest to chance from the 0-40w to Mobil 5-50w. My car seems to not burn as nearly as much oil as with the 0-40w. I got mine from here: http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

Also heard / read from a Porche tech "that when you turn the car off, there is some oil pressure in the oil line running to the turbos. This pressure causes the oil to seep past the rotor and in to the exhaust side. When you start up, this oil get blown out the exhaust pipes"

Oh, and don't overfill your oil!

Also here is a color chart for the type of smoke!

Blue = oil
White = coolant (smoke, not steam)
Black/Grey = unburnt fuel
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
I have a 2001 Turbo with 26,000 miles on it. Just got it a month or two ago. (for those that haven't read the 23 threads that I posted over the last few months.)

When I started it up this morning, there was a nice sized puff of smoke wafting over to the neighbor's house. I am sure that this isn't the first time that it happened, but it has been relatively cool around here, and I probably just wrote it off to "condensation evaporation." Well, it was reasonably warm this morning, so the start-up "condensation" didn't dissipate, yep - it was smoke.

I ended up putting a quart of Mobile 1 0W40 in the car last weekend - it was a bit low - and I think that I'll do an oil change this weekend to get myself on schedule. I just don't know what to think of Puff the Magic Dragon! My '73 always gave me a good sized puff when I started it up, but that was a '73. I really didn't think that I would get that from a 2001.

So, is this normal - something that I should just expect? It doesn't do it when the engine is warm, and it doesn't leave a cloud of smoke behind me as I accelerate, so I'm not really worried about engine issues - unless you guys tell me otherwise.

For the meantime, I'm just driving it all over kingdom come. And I love it. I was just wondering about this.

TIA.

larry
Normal as long as the smoking period is at start up and is brief and there are no other symptoms.

My 03 has done this a few times.

Just be sure the oil's reasonably fresh. A car that sees lots of short trips contaminates its oil with water and unburned gas and this not only thins the oil and but can raise the oil's level.

Do not over fill the engine with oil and run a proper grade of oil of the right viscosity for your area and change the oil regularly.

I treat my Turbo to 5K mile (or sometimes less) oil changes. Less when I'm going to head out on a long road trip and the oil is due to be changed while on the road. I like to avoid seeking a dealer that can get me in with no appointment and do an oil change. Many of them will though is my experience, but still I prefer to leave the house on a long (4K miles or more) road trip.

For instance I head out later this week and the Turbo goes in for its '5K' oil/filter service before I head out with far less than 5K miles on this oil. (I had the oil/filter changed when the car was in for some CPO work (clutch accumulator and clutch slave cylinder) a while back and IIRC the oil may only have 3 or 4K miles on it. I can't remember at what miles I had the car info for CPO work.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It is normal. It goes away after the car warms up. My mechanic, who handles many, many 996TT's mentioned this to me that a brief period of smoke when starting the car is to be expected on this model.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
larry47us
Pro

Greatly relieved. Since it only gives me that one puff of smoke at the start, I will stop worrying. Thanks for the information.

larry
Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

THis is unfortunate that for 100k they cant engineer this not to happen. Do the 997s do that too? Is this an inherent flaw or friendly fire issue from having a dry sump engine? DO the NA cars do it too?

Are there any other 100k cars that you expect to smoke at start up? Don't get me wrong, I love the Porsche brand. Always have. And intend to buy one. But its sad to me that as they are adding so many GT features they can't engineer a system to stop Puff.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The cuase is a result of gravity and the lightweight oil. The oil will shed off the rings and puddle at the bottom of the cylinder liner. As soon as the engine starts, the oil is burnt. You should only see a random PUFF. If it is cronic, the turbocharger turbine seals are most likely needing replaced.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I see white smoke, no fluid levels are depleating not blue so I summize it's more to do with condensation
and only happens when the air is damp.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As per your owner's manual, let your car idle for 2 minutes before shutting off your engine in order to let the turbos spool down. I always do this and get a puff of smoke maybe once per year.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
The cuase is a result of gravity and the lightweight oil. The oil will shed off the rings and puddle at the bottom of the cylinder liner. As soon as the engine starts, the oil is burnt. You should only see a random PUFF. If it is cronic, the turbocharger turbine seals are most likely needing replaced.
would you consider the seals a maintenance item when the car reaches a certain mileage? would you replace the seals or buy re-built turbo chargers. my car has 46k miles and even though it does not smoke chronically, it does appear to smoke a little more often...thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

i have ever only seen smoke puff if I didn't cool down, I do 2 min.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
THis is unfortunate that for 100k they cant engineer this not to happen. Do the 997s do that too? Is this an inherent flaw or friendly fire issue from having a dry sump engine? DO the NA cars do it too?

Are there any other 100k cars that you expect to smoke at start up? Don't get me wrong, I love the Porsche brand. Always have. And intend to buy one. But its sad to me that as they are adding so many GT features they can't engineer a system to stop Puff.

Yes my 2007 997 TT occasionally smokes at start up. Mechanic said its normal in a boxter engine. No worries.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
i have ever only seen smoke puff if I didn't cool down, I do 2 min.
For another data point, I always do a cool down but still occasionally get a puff of smoke.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
For another data point, I always do a cool down but still occasionally get a puff of smoke.
Yet another data point is that I do the cool down thing somewhat. I rarely let the engine idle 2 minutes unless I was unable to drive the car in a way to let it cool down before reaching my destination, and I can't recall the last time the car smoked upon startup.

One must use a good oil. Change it not too infrequently. And do not overfill the engine with oil. Doing these I think goes a long way in minimizing the smoking upon startup events.

But there's no way to avoid the smoking altogether. It may be the flat design but I suspect in most cases the smoking upon startup comes from oil that passes through the oil vapor separator and ends up in the intake manifold on the walls of the intake manifold and when the engine is shut off this oil will drain down and collect in a combustion chamber if the intake valves are open or collect on top the valves if they're closed. Next time the engine is started, smoke.

The Porsche techs I've talked to about this tell me they observe this smoking even with new cars and the only thing they do is ensure the smoking is brief and only at startup and there are no other engine symptoms.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
One must use a good oil. Change it not too infrequently. And do not overfill the engine with oil. Doing these I think goes a long way in minimizing the smoking upon startup events.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure there is anything an owner can do to minimize the smoke.

I use "good oil", and have had smoke on start with the oil one bar above "minimum", and I've had smoke on start with the oil one bar below "maximum". I bet owners who change their oil every 3000 miles occasionally get smoke on start.

Quick Reply: The Puff of smoke on start-up - Is it Normal?