Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch the brake rotor holes... Time..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Watch the brake rotor holes... Time..

to wash the brakes, at least for my Turbo.

As the pic below shows, some holes are starting to accumulate some brake dust. When I first bought the car almost all the holes were completely filled with brake dust, rust. I used a DIY car wash wand to blast -- though I was careful to not get the wand tip too close to the pistons and their dust covers -- the dust out of the holes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, no cracks!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

So glad I don't have to deal with that junk anymore...

Had these since 2008!!

Mike
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 110 Posts

way to rub it in mike
Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
So glad I don't have to deal with that junk anymore...
The OEM rotors are junk? Or does "junk" refer to the brake dust?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Perhaps junk refers to any rotor with cross drilled holes and their propensity to develop cracks when subjected to heavy use.

(Although real boy racers swear by the drilled AND slotted design.....)
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adam_
Perhaps junk refers to any rotor with cross drilled holes and their propensity to develop cracks when subjected to heavy use.

Here is a picture of one of my "junk" OEM rotors:

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Junk, as in refering to the cross drilled holes. Pad deposits build up in those holes and cause all kinds of problems for those who track their 996s, especially if they're using pagid orange compound pads. Of course, if you don't track your 996TT (Or drive it much, for that matter) then it's no problem. How many miles on your garage queen again?

Dock, Any cross drilled rotor is "junk" on a street car, in my opinion, which last I checked, is all I care about.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Junk, as in refering to the cross drilled holes. Pad deposits build up in those holes and cause all kinds of problems for those who track their 996s, especially if they're using pagid orange compound pads.
Porsche didn't design or sell the 996 Turbo as a track car.

Dock, Any cross drilled rotor is "junk" on a street car...
Why, in your opinion, are the OEM rotors on the 996 Turbo Porsche designed and built as a street car, "junk"?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I switched to the Girodisk slotted rotors 1.5 years ago. My car goes to the track, so the cross-drilled rotors developed radial cracks that made them unusable after two weekends. My front Girodisks went about 15-18 track days, including 6 full ones at Road America and never cracked. They eventually wore down to the slots. I find it worth the difference in price.

When I had the cross-drilled rotors, I used to clean the holes between track sessions with a locating pin. Slow. Or with compressed air. Fast but you do put a lot of dust in the air that you eventually breathe in.

Jon
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Except for the fact that slotted rotors are not as prone to crack, it is good to have wear indicators combined with normal grooves - gives a very clear indication of when it is time to change them. Much better clues than to find out at the end of the main straight by being informed by a soft pedal indicating that they are not able to cope with the heat radiation.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Hey dock, Why is everything with you a debate? Hmmm... weren't you the one that gave Dell a bunch of crap over a garage door opener mod because this was a Porsche, ment for the track or some such nonsense?

The cross drilled rotors on a street car serve no purpose beneficial to braking performance, especially with the current pad materials being used in over the road cars. Ask any rep of any of the common brake pad suppliers...

Furthermore, the pad wear sensors will function with any rotor surface. The reality is that Porsche chose to use cross drilled rotors more for style and less for function on US Spec cars. Again, this is my opinion. It's also why I swapped my fronts out to something without drilled holes that heat check and crack.

And Dock, Porsche may or may not have built this car to be tracked. Many of us DO track them, with great success... But the reality is that the same design rotor is on their track oriented GT3. It would only stand to reason that the design is either sufficient on both models, or insufficient on both models. Based on the number of GT3 owners who swap their rotors out to something WITHOUT cross drilling, that tells me all I need to know... They're JUNK, in my opinion.

Mike

Originally Posted by Dock
Porsche didn't design or sell the 996 Turbo as a track car.

Why, in your opinion, are the OEM rotors on the 996 Turbo Porsche designed and built as a street car, "junk"?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey dock, Why is everything with you a debate?
Hey Mike, why do you consider questions and discussions "debate"??

The cross drilled rotors on a street car serve no purpose beneficial to braking performance...
For street driving, Porsche claims the cross drilled rotors produce both lower temperatures, and better performance when water is present. And even if they were not being completely truthful about this (and I have no reason to believe they are being dishonest), the fact that their cross drilled rotors may not provide any additional benefit other than looks does not IMO mean they are "junk".
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

weren't you the one that gave Dell a bunch of crap over a garage door opener mod because this was a Porsche, ment for the track or some such nonsense?
No.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

And 57K (+) miles on the original pads/rotors.

But both the pads and rotors getting thin. Should probably start ordering parts for a brake job one of these days.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Watch the brake rotor holes... Time..