Watch the brake rotor holes... Time..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Nikkolaki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have OE cross drilled rotors
my rears are close to being done
can i change just the rears to slotted with pagid? or wil this cause too much of an imbalance?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
Rotors without cross-drilling will also develop radial cracks.
But that's my point.

We have a picture in this thread of a 997 Turbo rotor that has widespread cracks in just 7000 miles of use. The cracks may have been present earlier than 7000 miles. We also have a picture of a 996 Turbo rotor with over 57k miles of use, and a picture of a 996 Turbo rotor with over 37k miles of use. Neither of these rotors show any cracks. I can't speak for Macster, but my rotors have seen extensive "spirited" driving, including many mountain runs (some in the rain). You commented that you were surprised that AndyMc's rotors exhibit the level of cracks they do given no track use, and in only 7000 miles. I am too.

That's why they work so hard to inspect those other things you drive, and take them out of service if the cracks get to be too long.
That other equipment is inspected more often, and is held to such a high standard, because its brakes could be called on to decelerate a vehicle that weighs 450,000 lbs to a stop from over 200 mph, using their maximum effort (3000 psi of brake pressure), without failing. Oh, and with the lives of over 250 in the balance.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikkolaki
i have OE cross drilled rotors
my rears are close to being done
can i change just the rears to slotted with pagid? or wil this cause too much of an imbalance?
No problem for the rotors. You'll want to be careful about pads. Either use the same compound F/R, or some of us are using Pagid yellow RS-29 up front and Pagid black RS-14(?? I think) in the rear. For street use, I'd recommend using the same compound on both ends.

Originally Posted by Dock
That other equipment is inspected more often, and is held to such a high standard, because its brakes could be called on to decelerate a vehicle that weighs 450,000 lbs to a stop from over 200 mph, using their maximum effort (3000 psi of brake pressure), without failing. Oh, and with the lives of over 250 in the balance.
I worry more about the wing boxes than the brakes, since they are harder to see. But, I'm glad that they look at everything.

Jon
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

I worry more about the wing boxes than the brakes, since they are harder to see. But, I'm glad that they look at everything.

Jon
The wings (as well as other structural components) undergo NDI at phase maintenance inspections. There are also of course intense visual inspections too.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big fan of Yellows up front Blacks rear. Makes the back work like it SHOULD -
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On the 996, Yellow Front and Black rear improves brake balance. The 997 cured this and using the same pads front and rear works better on the GT3 in my experience.

Quick Reply: Watch the brake rotor holes... Time..