Sponsored by:

996T vs 997T

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
tel2931
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996T vs 997T

OK, I'm sure we've been down this road several times before, but it's a couple months til the damn snow melts here, and my local dealer called and got me thinking. I have an 05 996 Turbo S (X50 package), only mods so far are the 997 SSK and X73 Porsche lowered suspension. Great car, about to go off warranty, tempted to go with Kevin's Stage 1 tune, wastegate upgrade, and install the Europipe Quiet exhaust that I picked up used. Now he waves a CPO 07 997T under my nose at a pretty good price (CPO part is optional at this point). I know that the preferences are individual, but I'd appreciate any feedback from members who have experienced both. I don't plan to track it (will play with my Lotus Elise there).
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For me it would be an aesthetics question.
I just don't like the look of the 997 Turbo, inside or outside.

Also, the newer 997 Turbos have abandoned the Mezger engine design.
The 997Turbo has been as relliable as the 996 Turbo AFAIK.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tel2931
OK, I'm sure we've been down this road several times before, but it's a couple months til the damn snow melts here, and my local dealer called and got me thinking. I have an 05 996 Turbo S (X50 package), only mods so far are the 997 SSK and X73 Porsche lowered suspension. Great car, about to go off warranty, tempted to go with Kevin's Stage 1 tune, wastegate upgrade, and install the Europipe Quiet exhaust that I picked up used. Now he waves a CPO 07 997T under my nose at a pretty good price (CPO part is optional at this point). I know that the preferences are individual, but I'd appreciate any feedback from members who have experienced both. I don't plan to track it (will play with my Lotus Elise there).
Thanks for any thoughts.
An asthetics question to me too.

I'm on the fence regarding the 997 Turbo's looks. It is not ugly, but it is not prettier enough to tempt me away.

I like the variable vane turbos.

But as itc touches upon the 997 Turbo moved to the new engine. The techs all tell me the new engine is the bomb, err, great. They believe it is an improvement not only over the NA engines (to state the obvious) but an improvement over the Turbo's engine as well.

Me? I'm going to wait and see, I think. The 996 Turbo engine has a lot of development behind it and is clearly a very good (great) engine.

Anyhow, you have the last of the 996 Turbos the last models are usually the best cause they have all the fixes/improvements Porsche learned from the earlier MYs, and it is an S model, and the car is fixed up just like you like it. You know the car, know its history. While the warranty goes away, I assume you have put enough miles on the car to have worked out the new car 'bugs'?

For example: My 996 Turbo is at 57K miles (I bought it with around 10K miles) and goes off warranty in June after 2 years, or 100K miles and I won't make it to 100K miles with the car. But I think I have the car well sorted and can stand the suspense of keeping it out of warranty.

In your case, too, consider what you lose in depreciation getting rid of your current car, what you lose in depreciation in buying the new car.

This depreciation can cover alot of items/issues, should your current Turbo develop them. And it may not.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Hard call to make. Drove mine today (running away from a rain storm on back roads and driving a LOT faster than I should have) and I thought about this very question... "Wonder how much better a 997TT would be?"

Reading reviews, everyone loved it when it was released, but many commented that the 2007-2008 models were "without soul". I think it was Road and Track who commented on the fact that the 996TT seemed to require more driver/car connection... Who knows... I'll keep mine for some time to come, as I'm in for a penny, in for 200 pounds.

As for the asthetics... I think it's sexy. I like the interior. I like everything about the car...

Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people can't stand the 996 interior- having owned a few older Audis, I feel right at home.

For some reason I prefer the looks of the 996tt over the 997tt...

I do wish the 996tt had the one piece IMS shaft that the 997.1tt has- for longevity purposes only.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Page
Advanced

For me I like both, I especially like the wider rear end on the 997!

I have the same taught, keep my car or get an "07" TT. If I plan to keep my car I will put some money into it, suspension, tuning, etc. So I was thinking, do I dump $10k+ in my car or do put it towards an "07" TT that is a bit newer (style / technology). But I think I will keep my car for a while, spice it up a bit and wait until the 2011 PDK Turbo S becomes affordable for me. That car is a beast!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 326 Likes on 226 Posts

I have driven and like both models. To me, the 997TT is similar in feel to the 996TT. Driving the 997TT did not make me want to trade up immediately, however, it did let me know that I would have no problem owning one. I have found that the 997TT takes very well to minor power mods and with just a flash and exhaust rivals a 996TT with much more extensive power mods. It's a great car.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 03-10-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Some people can't stand the 996 interior- having owned a few older Audis, I feel right at home.

For some reason I prefer the looks of the 996tt over the 997tt...

I do wish the 996tt had the one piece IMS shaft that the 997.1tt has- for longevity purposes only.
Terrible interiors....

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 AM
tel2931
Racer

Thanks for the opinions. I find the 996 somewhat more raw than the 997, which is good. The interior, where I spend my time, is so much more appealing on the 997. Drove it today, need to get my 996 out of storage and drive it as well to compare (the Minnesota weather gods permitting)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if I would say it is more raw. My GT3 was raw. This is closer to a blvd cruiser.

However, having experienced both, I really love the 996. I actually like the interior more as it is very austere like previous gens of Pcars compared to the "radical" re-design that took place with the 997 line. As far as the the way it drives, the 997 feels MORE street cruiser than the 996. The 996 just feels a touch more connected.

And the best part of all, the bang for the buck factor. The 01-05 Turbos are one of the best buys right now. Even though it appears pricing has stabilized (and even crept back up with spring) they are still a fantastic buy.

Even though I miss my GT3 terribly and the big reason for the switch was the back seats for my kids, this is a car I see sitting in my garage for good.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
tel2931
Racer

Well, end of the story is that the 997T sold before I acted on it. I took my 996T out of storage after driving the 997T just to compare (this is Minnesota, where we only have 3 months of summer, and that's road construction season!). Remembered all of the good things about the 996T, and I'll be proceeding with my mods now that I've recommitted to it. I'll be reading Dell's threads more closely now. Europipe and UMW flash next.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Took my wife to dinner in mine for the first time this year and she reminded me of all the things she hates...

"That clutch/flywheel thing is loud when you let the pedal out at lights" - My LWFW kit and GT2 Slave upgrade.
"The exhaust is to loud" - my Speedtech is as quit as the EP2Q, so my only other option is going back to stock to make her happy.
"Do you have to go so fast" - Lady, your husband has always driven fast, where have you been for the last decade?
"The suspension in this thing is like a buckboard" - It's called race parts... You know, the reason I've spent my play money on stuff for that car?!?!
"What are those squeeks and rattles" - The suspension is now stiffer, and much of the contact points are now metal to metal contact... get used to it, turn up the music and enjoy the ride.

Would it be wrong to buy a gimp ball and make her wear it to and from our destinations? Anyone got a link to OJ Simpson's book on a successful marriage?

I know, I'm going to burn in hell...
Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tel2931
Well, end of the story is that the 997T sold before I acted on it. I took my 996T out of storage after driving the 997T just to compare (this is Minnesota, where we only have 3 months of summer, and that's road construction season!). Remembered all of the good things about the 996T, and I'll be proceeding with my mods now that I've recommitted to it. I'll be reading Dell's threads more closely now. Europipe and UMW flash next.
Guard your wallet.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Took my wife to dinner in mine for the first time this year and she reminded me of all the things she hates...

"That clutch/flywheel thing is loud when you let the pedal out at lights" - My LWFW kit and GT2 Slave upgrade.
"The exhaust is to loud" - my Speedtech is as quit as the EP2Q, so my only other option is going back to stock to make her happy.
"Do you have to go so fast" - Lady, your husband has always driven fast, where have you been for the last decade?
"The suspension in this thing is like a buckboard" - It's called race parts... You know, the reason I've spent my play money on stuff for that car?!?!
"What are those squeeks and rattles" - The suspension is now stiffer, and much of the contact points are now metal to metal contact... get used to it, turn up the music and enjoy the ride.

Would it be wrong to buy a gimp ball and make her wear it to and from our destinations? Anyone got a link to OJ Simpson's book on a successful marriage?

I know, I'm going to burn in hell...
Mike
There's the Mike I know!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

I sit here and read this and laugh because I was all over the board about keeping my 996tt. I even thought about going into a gt3 because someone wasn't helping the cause**cough cough Dell** I thought about 997 gt3 and TT and at the end of the day it wouldn't be worth the extra money right now. I'd still like a gt3 but right now I am enjoying my TT and all the money i put into it. I only have 33k miles and at the end of the day it might end up being here for a very long time.
On a side note wife doesn't even though about the straight pipes that are about to go on...neither do my neighbors whoops
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wait, what? Dell? a GT3 fanboy?

Quick Reply: 996T vs 997T