03 Turbo misfires...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
Really?

CEL goes off, but codes should be retained until reset no matter what.

Is Anthony your tech?
Anthony's been out this (last) week at training, but it is Anthony or Manni that service/work on the Turbo. In fact IIRC Joe replaced the battery, so all 3 take a role in the Turbo's servicing/repairs.

But it was Manni that told the me error codes could go away on their own if I continued to drive the car. This matches my general knowledge: For many errors if the error condition goes away the engine controller will clear the errors and extinquish the check engine light after so many engine starts/warmups. How many of these are needed varies. I've had a P0430 error dismissed this way in the Boxster. The Boxster also has several (4 IIRC ) misfire error codes logged and I have not cleared them. I'm continuing to drive the car to see if they'll eventually clear on their own.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Ok, if this is a known issue, why not put some sort of heat shield in place...any room?

Just a ?. Don't shoot.

Jeff
My recollection is from viewing this area there's some room and that a properly designed heat shield could be fitted. But that's the problem: A properly designed shield, one that affords the coils protection from the heat, but does not interfere with the desired air flow past the hotter items it shields the coils from (a heat shield may protect the coils but subject the turbos to higher operating temps and of the two components, I'd rather face replacing the coils every 50K miles vs. replacing the turbos even once), subject the engine to higher ambient (engine compartment) temperatures, interfere with the air flow around the engine and through the engine compartment, and remains secure and safe and doesn't rattle and doesn't add any significant amount of work to those who chose to have their car serviced at a Porsche dealer or even a indy, neither of which I expect would tolerate having to deal with a pain the *ss shade tree/backyard mechanic's heat shield.

I'm not saying a proper heat shield could not be fashioned, but I suspect the task is difficult more difficult than it would appear and this is why AFAIK no aftermarket heat shield has come forth. But maybe we'll see one?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And, wrapping the headers.....I know people "hate" this, but some say it gives one power. I wonder if there is a way to do it without causing corrosion....

Thanks Macster for the above.

Again, don't shoot!

jeff
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
And, wrapping the headers.....I know people "hate" this, but some say it gives one power. I wonder if there is a way to do it without causing corrosion....

Thanks Macster for the above.

Again, don't shoot!

jeff
I'm not current on the well the current wrapping technology but this was generally done in the past to keep engine compartment heat down. There are obvious benefits from doing this and one of them is some HP gain since the cooler the engine compartment is the less heating of the intake charge there is. A heated up intake charge cost HP.

This is less of an issue now since at least in the case of Porsches they get their intake air outside of the engine compartment and my observation is that once the car is under way for a bit any heat picked up by the intake system from the engine compartment goes away. Thus pretty soon after moving off from a stop the intake air temperature is near ambient, close enough anyhow that there's so little to be gained for the work to remove that last couple of degrees it ain't worth the trouble of bothering to wrap the exhausts.

And the trouble can be considerable. The trouble is a finding a wrap material that can keep the heat in good enough, yet withstand this heat (exhaust system components can run red hot under high load conditions), can withstand the air blast and tolerate getting splashed with whatever the tires kick up and the air stream carries to the wrappings, and so on, is a tall order.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ceramic coating the headers seems like a better idea than wrapping them...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Ceramic coating the headers seems like a better idea than wrapping them...
Agree. But there are many variations of header treatments. Some are cosmetic in nature while others have that aspect but also do offer a true heat insulation application.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 03 Turbo misfires...