Sponsored by:

Do you know this car? 2003 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you know this car? 2003 996TT

I have put a deposit on this car, sale subject to a sucessful PPI. Does anyone know this car. It has spent most of its life in Southern California.

Thanks for any information.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AIT#vi-content
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen this before either here or on 6 speed. The main question I would have is what was removed from the car? Water injection generally means it was supporting more significant mods.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

The seller claims K26 turbos, X50 exhaust, and software done at 42,000 miles.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
The seller claims K26 turbos, X50 exhaust, and software done at 42,000 miles.
That doesn't sound all that great. Maybe a K26 turbo exists? The x-50 exhaust is no different that a standard turbo exhaust. Verify which software/
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
That doesn't sound all that great. Maybe a K26 turbo exists? The x-50 exhaust is no different that a standard turbo exhaust. Verify which software/
I question K26s as well. As for the X50 exhaust they are different part numbers from a 996TT,

According to the PET:
996 111 027 75 std turbo exhaust
996 111 987 75 GT2 / X50 exhaust '01
996 111 987 77 GT2 / X50 exhaust '02-

It will be easy enough to check during the PPI. I will be able to review the service records at that time as well. Thanks, and keep the comments coming!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
I question K26s as well. As for the X50 exhaust they are different part numbers from a 996TT,

According to the PET:
996 111 027 75 std turbo exhaust
996 111 987 75 GT2 / X50 exhaust '01
996 111 987 77 GT2 / X50 exhaust '02-

It will be easy enough to check during the PPI. I will be able to review the service records at that time as well. Thanks, and keep the comments coming!
This car has been around a while... most buyers are very suspect of heavily modded cars that get returned to stock-ish.

Who will do the "PPI"? What is being done in the PPI? How detailed? Compression/leakdown? Tip? high HP on a tip would concern me. How do you inspect a car to see if it has been overly stressed so that it will be more likely to fail in the future?

Where will you get a knowledgeable PPI locally? Recognize that a porsche dealers' PPI is often times woefully lite.

RE: X50 exhaust....What PET are you using? Prevailing wisdom is that the X50 (I have one) has the same exhaust as the STD...and the GT2 gets a different exhaust (one less baffle) and this is what my PET shows... but there are many posts throwing numbers around and tacking "x50" behind the GT2... Either way, both suck.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I'll bet they are calling it the x50 exhaust because it has the x51 tips.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen that car around and listed a couple of times too. If it checks out it may be nice. I've already had 3 TTs fail PPIs and it's getting expensive.

I'd question the air box getting chopped. and the water injection. It's usually installed when the boost gets into dangeriously high levels and if it's set up right it may work. I bought a Corvette years ago with a turbo and water injection. It was fast, but not for long. I had to rebuild the motor and pulled out pieces of broken pistin skirts from detonation.

The sports seats were added and not the same leather match to the rear seats. I have a feeling the car was heavily modded, and most likely on the cheap, and returned to a partially modded state on the cheap. The car'd be worth a lot more if the rear seats matched, and the airbox appeared stock. I'm suprised the seller is clueless here. What's he overlooking that much more important than the obvious?

Buyer beware, caveat emptor, and all that!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adam_
This car has been around a while... most buyers are very suspect of heavily modded cars that get returned to stock-ish.

Who will do the "PPI"? What is being done in the PPI? How detailed? Compression/leakdown? Tip? high HP on a tip would concern me. How do you inspect a car to see if it has been overly stressed so that it will be more likely to fail in the future?

Where will you get a knowledgeable PPI locally? Recognize that a porsche dealers' PPI is often times woefully lite.

RE: X50 exhaust....What PET are you using? Prevailing wisdom is that the X50 (I have one) has the same exhaust as the STD...and the GT2 gets a different exhaust (one less baffle) and this is what my PET shows... but there are many posts throwing numbers around and tacking "x50" behind the GT2... Either way, both suck.
Regarding the exhaust, I have only passed along what the seller told me. I really don't see any value in either exhaust.

The following is what I posted on 6speed:

"I really appreciate the comments. Has anyone seen this car. I appreciate an opinion, but I want to know if anyone has actually driven it, or laid eyes on it, or can verifiy what mods are on the car. I am going right by there this week on my way to Indiana. I will be performing the PPI myself at their facility (I am ASE L1 certified and have owned 19 Porsches since 1971 and have been in the car business 36 years).

I am interested in a modified 996TT with a Tip. I am aware of the different seats in the car. For the price we have agreed on it could be a good deal, if the car is right. If it isn't, I get my deposit back and have spent 4 or so hours I will never get back. It would not be the first time I have traveled to look at a car and came up empty handed."

Compression test and cylinder leak down tests will be performed. I use the Volvo Certified pre-owned checklist for a PPI. The Volvo checklist is considered the industries most comprehensive. it will take over 4 hours for the PPI to be completed if done properly.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on balance

that

is a great looking car.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like you know what you want and how to find it!

Hope it works out well for you! GL
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

I now have a fist full of receipts that were faxed to me this afternoon from the previous owners representative, including the first owners service records and window sticker. I will be comparing them to the car on either Wed or Thurs.

I will report what I find, what is on the car, and what's not. I am prepared with:

o most of the service records,
o a Durametric,
o a portable wide band 5 gas analyzer,
o my trusty paint meter,
o ASE L1 certification,
o 40 years of Porsche ownership.

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm pretty sure, EVERYTHING!

Thanks, for everyones input. BTW, the service records look promising, and yes, several things have been removed according to the paper work. TechArt rear spoiler, carbon air box, and exhaust. According to the paper work it was not done on the cheap.

Wish me luck,
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Good Luck. I tend to steer clear of modified Porsches.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I tend to steer clear of modified Porsches.
Good for you!

Does your comment help provide information on this specific car?

I do appreciate your wishing me good luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPFarm, did you get the car, i see the ebay auction ended, but i also see it on autotrader as well with different mileage and price

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

this seems to be a great price on a tip if thats what you are looking for:

02, 39k miles, great price (judging by view count its been around a while and salvage title, might not work for you then)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Quick Reply: Do you know this car? 2003 996TT