Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo seals, blow-by, pcv failure, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo seals, blow-by, pcv failure, what else?

Asking this for a friend. (Kevin, if you want to share in this discussion, i kind of am shy to call since this is not your products... )

So, Tial A28 turbos and we are getting a LOT of oil out of them, intercooler pipings are full.

We sent them to Tial to get rebuilt but they tell us there is no oil seals on these turbos so i am having problems with either my drainage, my pcv, overfill, crankcase pressure or something else.

Now we checked the drain tanks and they seem fine.

What is my next step, what should we check? How do we diagnose if we have excessive blow-by? Is there a PCV valve on this car? Can it be bad?

We know it was not overfilled because the gauge shows a level.

What should i check next, any vacuum or pressure hose that could be unplugged that would cause something like this? Could the oil pumps that pump the oil from the tanks be bad?

Anyone has a clue or knows what i should start to look for?

I am at lost here, not very good yet with these cars, still learning.

thanks a lot
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't there some post about the check valve needing to be different? Do a search for check valve here and maybe on 6speedonline.com
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

1) When you pull the turbocharger is there oil in the headers? Have you done a leakdown test? Do you have a broken piston ring?

If you answer good leakdown numbers (less than 5%) and there is no oil in the headers..

2) Did you get a replacement cartridge? Or was nothing done? Is it happening on just one turbo? The ball-bearing turbochargers need oil line restrictors which should already be installed in the bearing housing.

You can't rebuild the ball bearing turbochargers. I have seen too many folks just give up and install "different" turbochargers or sell there cars because they can't get the smoking to stop.

3)With these engines, you either have a engine issue, or a turbo issue. The engine issues are high base pressure from poor leakdown> combustion gases getting past the ringset, which pressurizes the crankcase which is why they want you to check this system. If you have no blowbye > good leakdown. It's the turbo.. I wouldn't mess around> order a new cartridge and pay to play. The small ball-bearing cartridges are fragile. They cannot withstand excessive heat.. ALL turbochargers will fail if you abuse the EGT's and cook the turbine side seal. Non ball bearing turbochargers can withstand a little more abuse, but they do fail.. The nice thing is one can rebuild them for alot less monies.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, didn't check if there was oil in the headers but the car didn't seem to smoke a lot, nothing really unusual, especially with so much oil in the intake,i would have thought it would smoke more than that.

haven't done a leak down test, i don't know if we have someone around that can do that, i'll try to find out.

it is hard to know if it is only from one turbo since oil is coming back all the way to the diverter valve and is being spit in the intake, just before the turbos so we have oil EVERYWHERE. But if i had to guess, i would say probably the passenger side turbo leak a lot more.

thanks Kevin, i will start by checking those, at least i have somewhere to start

Quick Reply: turbo seals, blow-by, pcv failure, what else?