Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Leak - replace.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the tip. We had emailed about a flash a few months back...I think I need to pick that conversation back up but skip right to upgrading turbos, etc.

It hasn't been leaking the past few days, so I may leave the new radiators on a garage shelf until I notice it happen again. I ordered new hoses and hose clamps last night just because I'll be in there.
It just hasn't gotten hot enough.

Not a good idea to postpone fixing a coolant leak. If there's a leak the system will not hold pressure and it is the pressure that prevents the hot coolant from flashing to steam. If this happens localized overheating occurs and this can result in severe engine damage. The kind that make new radiators seem about as expensive as a pack of gum.

Fix the leak.

Pronto.
Old 03-10-2013 | 12:19 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Replaced my drivers side yesterday with a Behr unit from one of the online discounters i bought a few months ago. Big mistake! After all the work removing and replacing, on start up, once it got to operating temp, both end tanks leak pretty badly, the lower one in particular. What a pita. No more aftermarket/oem parts for me. Genuine Porsche from now on, there IS a difference. The hassle of a double repair just isn't worth the couple hundred in price difference.

So, is Sonnen the low price leader for these? They currently show $559.xx for the left. Any sooper sekret discounts or name dropping we can ask for?

Cheers
Mikey
Old 03-14-2013 | 01:20 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Success!
Well props to RogueM3 for the kind FCPEuro pointer, the new radiator arrived next day air. Went on in 30 mins, (getting pretty good at replacing radiators now) and presto, NO LEAKS. Replaced both hoses BTW, duh they're cheap and you're already in there. Anyway, thanks again for FCPEuro, nice folks and great prices on Genuine Porsche parts. I can definitely see how these start leaking after a while. They take a lot of abuse via rocks, leaves, ciggy butts, gravel etc thrown in there. The duct for the fan just traps everything in a giant wad in the lower rear corner where it can corrode the core. If you've never taken the time and you're getting up there in miles, make it a Saturday maintenance project and take off the front bumper cover, then remove the two ducts and clean those radiators out! It's not a matter of if they're gonna start leaking, just a matter of when.

Cheers
Mikey

Quick Reply: Radiator Leak - replace.