Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Leak - replace.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
speedtrapped
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

follow up to this thread. As SA321 asks, do i remove condesor? I inspected the leaking rad, and when I removed torx screws that held condensor, I could lift it up on an angle, but it seems like it has to be removed to get rad out? Is this correct?
TIA
sorry, NVM I see his answer

Last edited by speedtrapped; 06-06-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: was answered
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Bumping an older thread.

I just ordered up (2) new radiators as my driver side seems to be leaking (and replacing both seemed like a good idea).

- How much time should I budget for replacing both radiators?

- Am I going to need more than 1 gallon of Porsche Coolant?

-Should I be replacing the hoses if they are undamaged or do most keep their original hoses?

- Any good tutorial or DIY on coolant proper bleeding technique?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez! somebody needs to make a radiator for these cars with welded end tanks as they do the 996 NA, the OEM radiator design with plastic end tanks is complete BS! A marketing gimmick to sell $500 radiators if you ask me.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by 928drvr86.5
Geez! somebody needs to make a radiator for these cars with welded end tanks as they do the 996 NA, the OEM radiator design with plastic end tanks is complete BS! A marketing gimmick to sell $500 radiators if you ask me.
This is my first foray into maintenance and thus far am up to $820 including shipping for (2) radiators, the (4) closest hoses, and (2) gallons of coolant.

Its out in the garage not leaking currently...so I wonder if I should only replace the driver's side which had been leaking or do both "while I'm in there". Thoughts?

Last time I replaced a radiator, it was a massively thick, all-aluminum PWR unit for my E36 with coolant, etc for something like $600 total.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

You're positive it's the radiator leaking and not the upper or lower hose connections on the radiator (also BS design) ? I thought i had a leaking radiator about a month ago and it turned out that circ-clip on the upper connection had popped loose, how I don't know. I popped it back in place and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...onnection.html
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
RogueM3
Pro

You're positive it's the radiator leaking and not the upper or lower hose connections on the radiator (also BS design) ? I thought i had a leaking radiator about a month ago and it turned out that circ-clip on the upper connection had popped loose, how I don't know. I popped it back in place and it hasn't leaked since.
I'm not 100% sure. I guess I should probably take it apart to check...downside is with it being my DD, I can't take it apart and leave it apart...have to reassemble.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
928drvr86.5
Rennlist Member

It takes about 5 minutes to remove the respective fender liner which will allow you to see the backside of the radiator.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 PM
RogueM3
Pro

It takes about 5 minutes to remove the respective fender liner which will allow you to see the backside of the radiator.
Took me longer that 5 minutes, but in looking in there couldn't find anything noticeably disconnected with the hoses.

I think I will keep my order for the driver's side radiator but am now second guessing whether its worth it to do both at the same time.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

5 minutes is a figure of speech. The bumper comes off quickly though.

Have you seen the DiY for this job? It will take you a couple hours for the first one and half that for the other. In the future buy the Audi coolant. It's cheaper and is the same stuff. Get two gallons.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by deckman
5 minutes is a figure of speech. The bumper comes off quickly though.

Have you seen the DiY for this job? It will take you a couple hours for the first one and half that for the other. In the future buy the Audi coolant. It's cheaper and is the same stuff. Get two gallons.
I've not seen the DIY for the job...just varying descriptions from threads I searched.

I did place the order including coolant, but plan to remove the coolant from the order in the morning as it costs $10 more that ECS and I want to order the hoses too from ECS.

If I go to the Audi dealer and pick up their G12 coolant that will be fine in the Porsche? I've seen it as low as $24 for the Audi gallon (as compared to $30 for the Porsche coolant at ECS).
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Bumping an older thread.

I just ordered up (2) new radiators as my driver side seems to be leaking (and replacing both seemed like a good idea).

- How much time should I budget for replacing both radiators?

- Am I going to need more than 1 gallon of Porsche Coolant?

-Should I be replacing the hoses if they are undamaged or do most keep their original hoses?

- Any good tutorial or DIY on coolant proper bleeding technique?
Have no idea how much time you'll need.

You may not need any anti-freeze if the cooling system is not low and you drain and capture this into a clean container for reuse.

When I've asked the techs about replacing hoses they've told me they have found they simply do not go bad.

Now this was for my 02 and with very big miles but at some point this car will need hoses (if I keep it long enough) and older cars, or cars that live in harsher climes, or which have not had periodic coolant changes may have degraded hoses.

You just have to check, unless you just elect to replace hoses while you are there. If you replace any you should replace all. Techs tell me the hoses are expensive and some are hard to get off and back on.

Check the hoses. If they are soft -- try to push your fingers through the bottom of the hose which is where they often start to go bad -- or showing signs of any leakage replace them. Then you probably should replace all or you'll be doing one at a time forever...

BTW, doesn't the Turbo have 3 radiators? There's radiator in the center of the car, too. And if the radiators are leaking due to corrosion you may want to consider replacing the heater core and even a oil/water heat exchanger.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Rogue, I wouldn't use the VAG G12.. How far is the radiator to engine in your BMW or Audi??? Porsche has Zerex manufacture there formulation for a reason. More coolant, longer coolant runs> our system has more aluminum to deal with. This is NOT an area to cheap out on..
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
Rogue, I wouldn't use the VAG G12.. How far is the radiator to engine in your BMW or Audi??? Porsche has Zerex manufacture there formulation for a reason. More coolant, longer coolant runs> our system has more aluminum to deal with. This is NOT an area to cheap out on..
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the tip. We had emailed about a flash a few months back...I think I need to pick that conversation back up but skip right to upgrading turbos, etc.

It hasn't been leaking the past few days, so I may leave the new radiators on a garage shelf until I notice it happen again. I ordered new hoses and hose clamps last night just because I'll be in there.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Rogue, give me a call. I have some advice for you (it's free until we start to talk about tunes or turbochargers) smile...

FYI you will need 3 gallons if you replace two front radiators and drop the engine coolant.

360.805-9066

Quick Reply: Radiator Leak - replace.