Sponsored by:

Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leak

I have a leak at a seam. It at the front (back of car) of the engine in the middle near the bottom. I've cleaned the area but the picture shows where the leak is located. It's definitely oil. Anyone had this before?
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

From bad to worst..

1) You have a failing power steering pump and pentosin is leaking. Check to see your fluid level.

2) It most likely is the turbocharger sump/scavange pump drive that is driven off the IMS. There is a oring that gets disrupted IF you have every taken off the exhaust and un loosened 2 of the 4 mounting nuts. Or your car is extremely low and you have high centered and hit the exhaust or main rear engine mount.

I have repaired a customers car that had this issue. The car was very low and high centered. The impact hit the rear motor mount, cracked the scavange pump housing and pulled two main studs out of the engine case. The repair and parts were around $5K..

The repair cost is alot less if you have to just replace the oring. 10 to 12 hours labor..

3) A leaking/failed oil cooler will have oil leak down and around the engine in this area. You would notice alot of oil on the top of the engine. You could have the oil filter stand/assy where it enters into the oil cooler assy >> the gasket has failed. Either way you would have alot of oil on top of the engine.

4) Having a crankshaft nose bearing seal fail, or the outer bearing oring. If it is the outer bearing oring the engine case would need to be split.

5) The area that you have pointed to >> the chain tensioner rails have removable bolts, there is a aluminum crush washer between the bolt and engine case. It is very unlikely that this crush washer has sprung a leak. From the picture I can't see the crush washer>> please verify. You have to do a partial engine drop with a ton of parts being removed> similar to number 2.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

First, thanks for the response Kevin. Answers in red below.

Originally Posted by Kevin
From bad to worst..

1) You have a failing power steering pump and pentosin is leaking. Check to see your fluid level.
The fluid was low but pentosin was backing up in the front reservoir, so the assumption has been a bad clutch slave cylinder. I have replacement parts on hand for that.

2) It most likely is the turbocharger sump/scavange pump drive that is driven off the IMS. There is a oring that gets disrupted IF you have every taken off the exhaust and un loosened 2 of the 4 mounting nuts. Or your car is extremely low and you have high centered and hit the exhaust or main rear engine mount.The car is stock and has not been lowered and has original exhaust.

I have repaired a customers car that had this issue. The car was very low and high centered. The impact hit the rear motor mount, cracked the scavange pump housing and pulled two main studs out of the engine case. The repair and parts were around $5K..

The repair cost is alot less if you have to just replace the oring. 10 to 12 hours labor..

3) A leaking/failed oil cooler will have oil leak down and around the engine in this area. You would notice alot of oil on the top of the engine. You could have the oil filter stand/assy where it enters into the oil cooler assy >> the gasket has failed. Either way you would have alot of oil on top of the engine.I don't think there is oil at the top of the engine, but will inspect it more closely.

4) Having a crankshaft nose bearing seal fail, or the outer bearing oring. If it is the outer bearing oring the engine case would need to be split.

5) The area that you have pointed to >> the chain tensioner rails have removable bolts, there is a aluminum crush washer between the bolt and engine case. It is very unlikely that this crush washer has sprung a leak. From the picture I can't see the crush washer>> please verifyI don't see a crush washer but will look as closely as I can today.. You have to do a partial engine drop with a ton of parts being removed> similar to number 2.
None of these possibilities are very appetizing. The leak is slow, as in no drops are making it to my garage floor.

Last edited by deckman; 12-23-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Leak