Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Ultimate Motorwerks New Billet K24/27 and K26/27 turbochargers

These new turbochargers have been awhile in the making. These new K24 based turbochargers are my largest and highest output built to date in this "frame" size. My design goal was to go after the GT3076.

The below picture shows Ultimate Motorwerks new K24/27..

Name:  _DSC3564.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  34.0 KB

My new Billet compressor wheel has a 54mm inducer fitted in my larger compressor housing. The new compressor housing has a massive 70mm intake inlet. The stock K24 housing has a 56mm inlet.

Name:  _DSC3554.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  34.6 KB

I few little additions to this build included ceramic coating to the K24 turbine housing. I also coated the new bearing housings with a barrier thermal dispersant coating to "wick" heat from the housing. My CNC'd backplates are the backbone to these turbocharges. They allow me to tighten up the tolerances and run the new billet compressor wheel very close to the compressor housing. My Zero Clearance "process" further increases the efficiency of the compressor stage.

Ultimate Motorwerks has always tried to use the newest compressor wheel designs. I am manufacturing my new Billet compressor wheels. The new wheels have the swept back inducer to extended tip exducers. These new modifications allow higher output compressor wheels with no weight penalties. A lower mass wheel will be able to generate boost sooner.

Name:  Kevin-2-1.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Kevin-2-4.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  K27HySpool.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  74.9 KB

Forged Billet CNC'd compressor wheels exceed cast wheel strength and allow one to design larger compressor "inducer" with smaller roots. This automatically give us "efficiency" The other major design is the extended tip. In the last 5 years the new aluminum alloys have allowed stronger wheels to be produced. The new 997TT and 997GT2 and GT2RS have all of these features. The extended tip allow one to have a larger Major diameter Extended Tip while keeping the machined root smaller. The benifit is a very fat broad MAP. Extended Tip design really expands the performance of the turbocharger. At low shaft RPM the compressor wheel is able to generate/compress the slower incoming air. The surge line is moved further away giving more usable boost at lower engine RPM.

Name:  P1010097.jpg
Views: 2560
Size:  111.9 KB

The above picture is showing my new billet compressor wheel in a finished/machined compressor housing, the compressor housing on the right is a RAW casting that is partially machined. There is alot of work that goes into building these new turbochargers. FYI, the center bore of the unfinished compressor housing is what a stock K24 GT2/X50 compressor inducer diameter. You can see the difference in the diameters of the new billet compressor wheel vs the bore size.

Last edited by Kevin; 12-22-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you sleep?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Those are lovely. With the 70 mm inlet, are you paring new hard pipes with them?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Park, Sleep? What's that...

tvurt, I sell have a 70mm side intake kit. I use a "special" hose that is designed for negative pressure. 2.75" minimum diameter right to the turbochargers.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

$$$$ ? (cost?)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, did you get my email?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn Kevin, are we going to see some pictures of your shop eventually where all those miracles happens?

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are just beautiful. I already have your chip/wastegate on my spring wish list. Now I will have to dream about these.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Wolk's Wagon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
damn Kevin, are we going to see some pictures of your shop eventually where all those miracles happens?
Yes pics of shop needed, we want to see the 4/5 axis machining center in action.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
These new turbochargers have been awhile in the making. These new K24 based turbochargers are my largest and highest output built to date in this "frame" size. My design goal was to go after the GT3076.

The below picture shows Ultimate Motorwerks new K24/27..

My new Billet compressor wheel has a 54mm inducer fitted in my larger compressor housing. The new compressor housing has a massive 70mm intake inlet. The stock K24 housing has a 56mm inlet.

I few little additions to this build included ceramic coating to the K24 turbine housing. I also coated the new bearing housings with a barrier thermal dispersant coating to "wick" heat from the housing. My CNC'd backplates are the backbone to these turbocharges. They allow me to tighten up the tolerances and run the new billet compressor wheel very close to the compressor housing. My Zero Clearance "process" further increases the efficiency of the compressor stage.

Ultimate Motorwerks has always tried to use the newest compressor wheel designs. I am manufacturing my new Billet compressor wheels. The new wheels have the swept back inducer to extended tip exducers. These new modifications allow higher output compressor wheels with no weight penalties. A lower mass wheel will be able to generate boost sooner.

Forged Billet CNC'd compressor wheels exceed cast wheel strength and allow one to design larger compressor "inducer" with smaller roots. This automatically give us "efficiency" The other major design is the extended tip. In the last 5 years the new aluminum alloys have allowed stronger wheels to be produced. The new 997TT and 997GT2 and GT2RS have all of these features. The extended tip allow one to have a larger Major diameter Extended Tip while keeping the machined root smaller. The benifit is a very fat broad MAP. Extended Tip design really expands the performance of the turbocharger. At low shaft RPM the compressor wheel is able to generate/compress the slower incoming air. The surge line is moved further away giving more usable boost at lower engine RPM.

The above picture is showing my new billet compressor wheel in a finished/machined compressor housing, the compressor housing on the right is a RAW casting that is partially machined. There is alot of work that goes into building these new turbochargers. FYI, the center bore of the unfinished compressor housing is what a stock K24 GT2/X50 compressor inducer diameter. You can see the difference in the diameters of the new billet compressor wheel vs the bore size.
I know it's an old post but would love a set of these to try. How come the K24 project was shelved in the end Kevin? I'd be all over this...
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I gave you "my" answer in our phone conversation 2.5 months ago?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I can't recall Kevin. I think you said developing a tune for the K24s was cost prohibitive but I could be wrong though. Those do look sweet though as I'm sure a ton of time went into developing the hardware. BTW, have you received the 7RS compressor wheels yet? You said you'd let me know when they come in so I assume they are still on backorder? I have those 1000mile cores ready to send out to you so just waiting on the compressors I guess. Thanks Kevin!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am not rerouting my time for a new turbocharger package at this time.. Time is the "key" phrase>or lack of it..

Send the cores and a stack of $$$ (smile)...
Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
I am not rerouting my time for a new turbocharger package at this time.. Time is the "key" phrase>or lack of it..

Send the cores and a stack of $$$ (smile)...
Will do my friend. I know how picky you are but I think you'll like these. They still have cosmoline on the compressor housings...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/L8vL9m]
Old 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's a poster child for "new" takeoff's.. We don't see many of these anymore..

If anyone has K16 cores or see a 4 sale ad >>please email me the details..

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks New Billet K24/27 and K26/27 turbochargers