Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 07:23 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Default How to find Coolant Leak

I seem to be losing a small amount of coolant. Since I have owned the car in July - I have added about 1/2 gal of distilled water to the overflow tank. Since this is a "sealed" system I am concerned there is a small leak.

While cleaning today, I did notice an almost oily type substance that would be directly under the driver-side radiators. It did not have the usual smell I would associate with anti-freeze...close, but not exactly the same.

Any advice on how to pinpoint the leak?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010 | 07:38 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The best way to find a leak is to use a pressure tester. It attaches to the coolant reservoir in place of the cap. Run the pressure up to 15psi. You'll find the leak.

GL,

Jon
Old 12-20-2010 | 07:49 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

You guys and your red TTs...

Gorgious...

Mike
Old 12-20-2010 | 08:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

check to see if you have white buildup around the cap. There have been a couple versions of the cap.
Old 12-20-2010 | 08:55 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, wish me luck it's not something major.
Old 12-20-2010 | 09:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I seem to be losing a small amount of coolant. Since I have owned the car in July - I have added about 1/2 gal of distilled water to the overflow tank. Since this is a "sealed" system I am concerned there is a small leak.

While cleaning today, I did notice an almost oily type substance that would be directly under the driver-side radiators. It did not have the usual smell I would associate with anti-freeze...close, but not exactly the same.

Any advice on how to pinpoint the leak?

Thanks!
If the substance you found under the driver's side radiator is water soluble chances are it is coolant. Though it could be fluid from a leaking windshield washer tank though this usually isn't 'oily' like coolant it. (Coolant in reasonable condition pinched between fingers will feel almost like oil.)

Less likely but possible it might be brake fluid.

One trick to help pinpoint a coolant leak is to with the coolant level up to at least the min line with the engine cold, and the A/C system off (so the radiator fans don't run all the time) is to start the engine and then drive the car to get everything up to temperature.

Once the engine/drivetrain is quite warm -- I like to hear the radiator fans come on once or twice which tells me the coolant has gotten hot (at least 205F) enough to trigger these fans to come on -- pull in someplace out of the wind and raise engine rpms to 1500 or 2K or thereabouts and hold it until the radiator fans come on.

When the fans come on shut off the engine.

The heat load will continue to raise the temperature of the coolant and increase pressure in the cooling system.

Then get out of the car and with the front trunk open, the engine cover open, walk about and sniff. Get down on your hands and knees and give the radiator duct openings a good sniff.

Look inside for any signs of fluid. Check under the car with bright light for any fluid leaks.

Check around the coolant tank and even the cap. Continue to do this all around the car for maybe 15 minutes.

If there's a leak you should smell anti-freeze and you might be treated to a drip of coolant.

Or worse.

I did this test to see if a radiator fan was working -- it wasn't (but the engine was not overheating) -- but the coolant tank took this opportunity to split and I was treated to a nice sight of coolant just pouring out from ahead of the rear wheel from the split tank. The tank had had a crack in it for some time -- a tiny one up high enough that leaked little fluid, and then vapor as the level fell in the tank. However, I could still smell coolant around the rear of the car and I knew there was a leak somewhere and should have taken care of it earlier. The tank didn't fail prematurely either: When it let go it had nearly 200K miles on it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-20-2010 | 11:42 PM
nick49
Drifting

Like others have said, check the cap, better yet replace it, they're cheap. They charged me $13 at the dealer for the latest. Stopped my leak.
Old 12-21-2010 | 04:03 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Looks like it is a hose going to the Dr. Side front radiator. I cleaned up the garage floor last night to make sure it wasn't rain / water droppings. This morning there was a small puddle. Looking under the front spoiler it looks like I must have hit something as it is partially damaged and bent on the corner. I wonder if something hit the hose or if it is just worn out?

New question: Do I have to replace the entire radiator or just the hoses? Since I will once again take the bumper cover off, should I just replace all the hoses on both sides?
Old 12-21-2010 | 04:35 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

If it is just the hose damaged, you only have to replace that. That's a lot cheaper and easier than the radiator.
Old 12-21-2010 | 05:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Looks like it is a hose going to the Dr. Side front radiator. I cleaned up the garage floor last night to make sure it wasn't rain / water droppings. This morning there was a small puddle. Looking under the front spoiler it looks like I must have hit something as it is partially damaged and bent on the corner. I wonder if something hit the hose or if it is just worn out?

New question: Do I have to replace the entire radiator or just the hoses? Since I will once again take the bumper cover off, should I just replace all the hoses on both sides?
The hose is probably ok.

If you hit something chances are this cracked the hose fitting at the radiator.

The radiators are a bit exposed in this regard. (A few years back I managed to fall asleep at the wheel in my Boxster and the car drifted over to the center of the highway -- 2 lane highway (50 highway west of Strong City KS) -- and the left front corner of the car caught a tire carcass. I'm not sure but I don't think the front wheel even hit the thing, the front bumper corner just clipped it.

But clipped it enough the radiator was cracked at the bottom and a mile or so down the road I coasted the car to a stop as fluid was leaking from the cracked radiator.

Check the hose. Grab it and squeeze it tightly. Try to push your fingers through the hose. Generally the portion of the hose that goes bad first is the bottom of the hose and right where it connects to a fitting.

My Porsche tech friends tell me though radiator hoses are quite durable. But still you can check the hose.

But my WAG is the radiator is cracked and you'll have to replace it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2010 | 10:43 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had a coolant leak on the driver's side radiator last time I was at the track. When I took off the fender liner and ran the engine long enough to get the fans to run, there was no visible leak. Then we put the pressure tester on, and fluid immediately came peeing out of the top hose - bad O-ring in my case. Not too expensive, and we were able to kludge it with silicone for the weekend.

My indy was at the track. Here is the pressure tester he uses:
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7991-Unive.../dp/B000XSJKH8
Old 12-22-2010 | 03:22 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

What color is your red? Looks similar to mine. Mine is samples order: Amulet Red
Old 12-22-2010 | 08:42 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mine is Orient Red. I really like yours, too. I get a lot of compliments on it. Even from Mike Kelly!!

Jon
Old 12-22-2010 | 09:58 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dantzig
IThen we put the pressure tester on, and fluid immediately came peeing out of the top hose - bad O-ring in my case.
Oh Sh*t. I just replaced that radiator last week and didn't see any O-ring.
Old 12-22-2010 | 12:57 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by deckman
Oh Sh*t. I just replaced that radiator last week and didn't see any O-ring.
There are O-rings in the metal ends of the hoses that insert into the radiator. If you just disconnected the hoses, swapped the radiator, then replaced the hoses, the O-rings should have stayed on the hose. If you replaced the hoses too, they probably came with new O-rings in them.

If you didn't have an O-ring in there, I am sure that you would already know.

Jon

Quick Reply: How to find Coolant Leak