Rear Spoiler Lube???????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Lube???????????

Hey guys....and girls

What do you recommend for lubrication on the rear spoiler? how often as a preventitive maintenance>?

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

If you're talking about the pistons, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wurth-HHS-2000...2609733&sr=8-1

When driven, I look at every 30 days or so depending on use, but I'd do it sooner if I drove in the rain or other foul conditions.

BD

BTW, I spray a little on a foam brush and "mop" on a thin coat.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 PM
kezcapt
Intermediate

In the aviation business we avoid petroleum products on hydraulic seals. Additionally, anything that won't dry will be a magnet for sand and dust. I use a spray silicone that dries quickly. It is gentle on rubber seals and will lubricate as a dry film. I have used it on mine for 5 years with good results.

Rob
Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

not to be too argumentative, but some (most) silicones actually attack rubber and will destroy the seals.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using WD40 about every 30-60 days. So far so good.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Did Porsche recommend that the spoiler posts receive lubrication?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
+1

I would assume these are self lubricating? Didn't recall reading anything in the manual or a TSB stating as much.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

I treat it like any other hydraulic ram on our trucks (snow plows, lift gates, etc). All the maintenance specs say to keep the piston clean and lubed.

BTW, Wurth HHS2000 is specifically approved for use on O-rings, which on a hydraulic system are probably viton fluorelastomer-not rubber.

BD
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
kezcapt
Intermediate

Wross in response to your comment that silicone eats rubber, I think you are referring to petroleum based based silicone such as used in cheap tire dressing, This type does attack rubber. I am referring to dry silicone products that have no petroleum content. This silicone is actually a rubber preservative not a solvent. The main culprit in seal failure (aside from drying out) is grit or other forms of contamination. Dry silicone products do not attract grit and are thus superior for this type of application. 3m makes an excellent pure silicone product that actually keeps rubber and other plastic/rubber compounds very pliable. I can only say that it works well on 50 million dollar jets so I think you are safe with the seals on your ram.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
An excellent question.

My WAG is no. This WD-40 or application of other lubricants I think is bad.

If any external lubing required I think the only proper lube would be with Pentosin CHF 11 S though since this is potentially damaging to paint I suspect no lubing is required.

In looking through all the sections covering the rear spoiler and its lift system I see no mention of any lubrication step.

Thus I suspect those that are applying some lube will over time do more harm than good to a very expensive piece of hydraulic system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the important issue is to keep the pistons clean to avoid wearing the seals. I used WD40 for 4 years for this purpose and always wiped off any excess.
On the otherhand, when I sold my turbo both cylinders were just starting to leak...eventual failure may be inevitable!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Be careful. when lube is on the shaft and the spoiler is extended, it attracts dirt. The dirt will shorten the seal life, by being abrasive against the seals going up and down .

In the marine industry, the same concern goes for any hydraulic shafts and pistions. The only thing that seems to work well is a silicone spray that dries. Silicone spray does not attract dirt when dry. Nor does it attack seals. Use it on the marine industry all the time. Silicone gease is used on seals all the time with breathing apparateses such as scuba gear on rings etc.
But extending the spoiler during a wash and just keeping the shafts clean is really all you should need to do.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 01-04-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The only thing that seems to work well is a silicone spray that dries. Silicone spray does not attract dirt when dry.
Refer back to post #4... we've now gone 360 degrees.

The OP asked if the shafts need to be lubricated... I think it's been determined the factory calls for no lubrication on the shafts -- this would be my advice if someone asks.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I notice if mine is left up for a few days one side will go down slower than the other. I usually just wipe with a dry rag them down and all is good.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Post #4 is wrong silicone lubricant is not determental to rubber provided it does not have any petroleum distillites. Used on rubber seals all the time. The best is the dry spray teype. Petroleum based lubricants can hurt seals based on the composition. Do not use WD 40, it's a petroleum based product, nd will destroy seals.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Lube???????????