Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie- hunting for first 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Dean, do you also own a 300ZX Twin Turbo?

Michael.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Dean/O
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

Yes, I've owned 3 previous Z32 TT. Regret selling my 1996 300ZX TT, but got a 1997 Supra Turbo in its place. I think we may have know each other back in the ancient days of twinturbo.net?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean/O
Michael,

Yes, I've owned 3 previous Z32 TT. Regret selling my 1996 300ZX TT, but got a 1997 Supra Turbo in its place. I think we may have know each other back in the ancient days of twinturbo.net?
Aha, I knew it! Yip, yip, we know each other from tt.net.

The name, the Supra, and the NX2000 gave it away. I knew you were uber-meticulous with your cars.

Michael.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM
AWDman
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I lurk and read lot but am moved to post by Dean O's eclectic collection to include the "egg" NX2000. I too must confess a love these little buggers and my 2 past examples have kept company with a ferrari f355, an original mini, an ap1 honda s2000, a tweaked amg c32, a jeep, an ml350 and a e36 m3 track (soon to be- race) car.

as well, i'm considering a 996TT ..or a maser gransport to less extent.

congrats on the nx2000 dean o :-)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Originally Posted by AWDman
I lurk and read lot but am moved to post by Dean O's eclectic collection to include the "egg" NX2000. I too must confess a love these little buggers and my 2 past examples have kept company with a ferrari f355, an original mini, an ap1 honda s2000, a tweaked amg c32, a jeep, an ml350 and a e36 m3 track (soon to be- race) car.

as well, i'm considering a 996TT ..or a maser gransport to less extent.

congrats on the nx2000 dean o :-)

AWDman,

Good to hear from another egg lover! The NX is such a pure joy on the street and track. More fun than my Integra Type R and M Coupe. The handling is phenomenal for a FWD chassis and shifter is the best I've ever experienced. Why can't Porsche come even close to this tranny?

Sorry to digress from the original topic.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Part 1. I had an instructor when i was first getting on the track about 11 years ago at Lime Rock (just barely had my driving permit lol) and it was in a track prepped NX2000.

Part 2. Bought a World Challenge BMW to race, bring it to lime rock and see mr. nx2000 instructor again (have seen him a couple times over the years). He sees my car and says "did that belong to Sofronas?" And I said yea, it was one of the GMG World Challenge cars...he goes "funny, this nx2000 was one of Sofronas's first cars back in the day."

I texted James and I'm pretty sure I remember him confirming with a chuckle Small world.

That car boogied around Lime Rock as he left foot braked the entire track, its *** was all over the place, twas awesome.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:17 PM
AWDman
Advanced

great stuff guys.

some time back i had a chance to buy a rare hardtop nx to convert to race car but passed. everything in it's own time i spose, i do enjoy my m3 and i have a rare constellation of factors that's making it easy to go racing..and for that i'm so grateful.

check the archives under this link. scca racers in the NE would know Greg Amy. His saga with his nx2000 is amazing. http://www.kakashiracing.com/

back to topic, more or less. what options appeal to you for a TT? I like the X50 (add chip only for significant gains, don't want to mod excessively), like the CF interior package if on a gray interior, do like painted seat backs. like sport seats and like rare colors and like Blue. So orient red, the metallic green, lapis blue with gray or tan leather, sports seats with X50. add a gt2 nose and tail spoiler and i'm happy. what would you want?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
AWDman
Advanced

great stuff guys.

some time back i had a chance to buy a rare hardtop to convert to race car but passed. everything in it's own time i spose, i do enjoy my m3 and i have a rare constellation of factors that's making it easy to go racing..and for that i so grateful.

check the archives under this link. scca racers in the NE would know Greg Amy. His saga with his nx2000 is amazing. http://www.kakashiracing.com/

back to topic, more or less. what options appeal to you for a TT? I like the X50 (add chip only for significant gains, don't want to mod excessively), like the CF interior package if on a gray car, do like painted seat backs. like sport seats and like rare colors and like Blue. So orient red, the metallic green, lapis blue with gray or tan leather, sports seats with X50. add a gt2 nose and tail spoiler and i'm happy. what would you want?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
AWDman
Advanced

95M3Racer- you're the jaffster owner? then you know Johnathan V? He's part of the hispeed motorsports team. Think he helped you test at monticello?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDman
great stuff guys.

some time back i had a chance to buy a rare hardtop to convert to race car but passed. everything in it's own time i spose, i do enjoy my m3 and i have a rare constellation of factors that's making it easy to go racing..and for that i so grateful.

back to topic, more or less. what options appeal to you for a TT? I like the X50 (add chip only for significant gains, don't want to mod excessively), like the CF interior package if on a gray car, do like painted seat backs. like sport seats and like rare colors and like Blue. So orient red, the metallic green, lapis blue with gray or tan leather, sports seats with X50. add a gt2 nose and tail spoiler and i'm happy. what would you want?
I'm probably in the minority but my primary focus was on finding a good car that I believed I could buy at a good price.

I considered maybe 5 or 6 cars from speed yellow (Michigan car IIRC) to lapis blue (in Las Vegas) to arctic silver several and one located around 30 miles from me and the car I bought.

A few were Tips but most were manuals.

Could have been an X50 car in there (I think there was one -- maybe the speed yellow one) but I wasn't fixated on a X50 car.

No mods.

No track time.

And while I don't recall if I had this on my list a later version of the CPO warranty that my car came with (2 years, 100K miles and car had just around 10K miles on it when I bought it a year ago last June) sure has come in handy.

IIRC I was not avoiding cars with NAV units because I believed that Porsche had ok'd the issue of updated CD, but later learned only for the NAV units in the later examples of the 996 Turbo. My memory is fuzzy so you want to verify if the built in NAV unit a tipping option for you that you can get updated map info. (I ended up buying a Garmin NAV unit which and I hate to admit this requires I buy updates from Garmin... Sigh. So far I haven't and probably won't. Anyhow, I made a mistake. Should have been more thorough in my aftermarket NAV research. OTOH, Garmin wasn't quite forthcoming with this info. I found out *after* I bought the unit and registered it and signed up to Garmin's site and downloaded a free update that all subsequent updates were not free.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Newbie- hunting for first 996TT