Sponsored by:

Newbie- hunting for first 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
litoria
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie- hunting for first 996TT

I am in the middle of my hunt for my first Porsche. I am in Raleigh NC but have had to expand to a nationwide hunt to find a car.

My budget is $50K. Looking for a Red, Gray or Black car. Im trying to be not to picky. I have budgeted in the PPI, shipping and a quick trip if necessary to check out the car.

My question is around how much i should care about location of cars. Should I be worried if a car spent its whole life north of the mason dixon? Is salt damage something to be concerned about? I eliminate about 70% of the cars if I dont look at those.

Also, how much should I value aftermarket gear (clear bra, nav, etc)?

Any advice as I hunt would be great.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, post #1. Fresh.

Welcome.

I'd be more concerned with condition and how it was used.... Mine spent the first 17k miles in Wisconsin. When I was trying to get the owner to bring it to a shop for a PPI, he said "Thursday might be a problem". I asked why. He said "It's supposed to rain"

We had a winner.

Some say 'these are meant to be driven" and "are great in the snow". I'll agree, but pass as my purchase. Just me.

There is not great calculus for values of add ons... 25-50% of new cost perhaps? Less if it is if no interest to you.

For a PPI, read up- there is no "official Porsche PPI"... varies with every dealer/shop. I recommend a CPO checklist, a bodywork exam, a dump of the DME for errors and over-revs.

6speedonline.com for more info as well.

GL

A
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
TTTerror
Track Day

"Also, how much should I value aftermarket gear (clear bra, nav, etc)?"

Went though same process about six months ago before I found my garage queen (03, silver, bone stock, 7k mi, CPO thru 11/11, regular maint, not a mark or blemish)....paid $55. Some said too much however, I was willing to pay for the combination of condition, milage and CPO piece of mind. Bottom line, "value" is what it's worth to you as long as you're going into the deal well informed with a bottom line price in mind.

So far, no regrets!!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
litoria
AutoX

Default how to pair down?

I have a working list of about 10 cars now. Any advice on how to pair this list down to a few? The cars meet all my basic criteria, have clean carfax, no visible paint, leather, wheel issues. Mostly new tires. Similar mileage.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTTerror
"Also, how much should I value aftermarket gear (clear bra, nav, etc)?"

Went though same process about six months ago before I found my garage queen (03, silver, bone stock, 7k mi, CPO thru 11/11, regular maint, not a mark or blemish)....paid $55. Some said too much however, I was willing to pay for the combination of condition, milage and CPO piece of mind. Bottom line, "value" is what it's worth to you as long as you're going into the deal well informed with a bottom line price in mind.

So far, no regrets!!
Looks like you got a nice one. $55k is definitely a fair price. I just ended my 4 month search for a low mileage 996T. Seal grey 2003 with 7k miles for $56k.

Hear are a few of my observations:

CPO does not mean quality. I flew down to Melbourne, Florida to buy a 2003 silver 996 T with 11k miles and CPO. The cars was shockingly poor condition with front end paint work.

Your list of 10 possible cars probably includes a few that have been on Autotrader for months...These cars all have their own "stories." Great cars with a fair price sell quickly. Garbage lingers for months. PM me, I probably have looked at these cars.

Be prepared to travel. Be prepared to act quickly. I missed out on 2 turbos by just a day or two. I had a 2003 X50 with 7k miles slip away as a pondered the Ebay "buy it now price."

Your PPI must include electronic paint meter measurements. Amazing how many of these cars have been damaged and repainted.

If you are in the market for a turbo with more than 25k miles, you will enjoy a wide selection. If you are picky (like me) and want an ultra-low mileage queen with less than 15k miles, then be prepared to wait. There is no shortage of buyers out there for this select category of used Porsche.

Dean

North Carolina
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

dont settle get the perfect combo. dont buy one that will be harder to resell either.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:37 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Dean - are you happy with your new car? Did you fly to Dallas and drive home or have it shipped? Everything you hoped for?

Originally Posted by Dean/O
Looks like you got a nice one. $55k is definitely a fair price. I just ended my 4 month search for a low mileage 996T. Seal grey 2003 with 7k miles for $56k.

Hear are a few of my observations:

CPO does not mean quality. I flew down to Melbourne, Florida to buy a 2003 silver 996 T with 11k miles and CPO. The cars was shockingly poor condition with front end paint work.

Your list of 10 possible cars probably includes a few that have been on Autotrader for months...These cars all have their own "stories." Great cars with a fair price sell quickly. Garbage lingers for months. PM me, I probably have looked at these cars.

Be prepared to travel. Be prepared to act quickly. I missed out on 2 turbos by just a day or two. I had a 2003 X50 with 7k miles slip away as a pondered the Ebay "buy it now price."

Your PPI must include electronic paint meter measurements. Amazing how many of these cars have been damaged and repainted.

If you are in the market for a turbo with more than 25k miles, you will enjoy a wide selection. If you are picky (like me) and want an ultra-low mileage queen with less than 15k miles, then be prepared to wait. There is no shortage of buyers out there for this select category of used Porsche.

Dean

North Carolina
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
litoria
AutoX

Dean, you have a PM.

I definitely do not want to settle, but I realize that these are used cars, they are not perfect, but they can be close to it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Originally Posted by leftlane
Dean - are you happy with your new car? Did you fly to Dallas and drive home or have it shipped? Everything you hoped for?
Car in transit from Dallas...Should arrive in 6 days!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Pics
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean/O
Car in transit from Dallas...Should arrive in 6 days!
Shoot - you could have paid me to drive it to you and I would have had it there faster.

Enjoy the anticipation - it has to be killing you.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Default 01 Turbo

Will Silver work for you? 13,009 miles and warranty.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Originally Posted by leftlane
Shoot - you could have paid me to drive it to you and I would have had it there faster.

Enjoy the anticipation - it has to be killing you.
OK, better late than never. The 2003 996 Turbo arrived last month. I was stunned with how well preserved it is. Even the original N-spec Continental tires had >70% tread remaining. As close to new as you can get for a 7 year old car.

Yes, that's part of my 12 car garage. And, yes, that's a 1993 Nissan NX2000 in the collection.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM
litoria
AutoX

Pretty sweet Dean. Where did you get the car lifts? My garage would fit one easily....

I have found my ride as well. 2001 with 13K miles. Perfect condition. I am in love!
Here she is:
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Dean/O
Advanced

Originally Posted by litoria
Pretty sweet Dean. Where did you get the car lifts? My garage would fit one easily....

I have found my ride as well. 2001 with 13K miles. Perfect condition. I am in love!
Here she is:
Congrats, Daniel. That silver 2001 looks sweet. You won't regret going for the lower mileage AND the black interior.

My lifts are made by Rotary, and are also named "Revolution lifts." I've had them for 5 years. One is "super-sized" and can rise to about 6ft and the other 2 are standard size.

Enjoy the turbo.

Quick Reply: Newbie- hunting for first 996TT