Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler Problem, any answers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
prche951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Problem, any answers?

I just got a set of intercoolers used. I decided to pressure test them and one IC is blowing air out of the core. The location is on the first plate about an inch from the edge where the tank meets the core. I took it to a radiator shop, who in turn refered me to a welder. I asked both if this was mechanically caused damage, as in dropped etc. They both said no, this IC came this way since the location of the leak is inside the core and not on the edges where the end tanks are welded to the core. The car that this IC came off of had two turbos go bad on the same side of the car. My guess is that this leak, caused the turbo to overspin to meet pressure, eventually causing the turbo to fail, but it is all conjecture. What is not conjecture is that this was a defect from the very beginning that was not caught by builder, or original seller. The IC's were purchased new put on that car and not removed until I got them the other day. I helped remove them so I know they have never been out of the car before and I know the full history of where they came from and when.

I decided to check the IC's for loss and the other one has a pin hole leak, which you can hear but is not major, still not good. But the left hand side IC has a MAJOR leak.

The other issue is that these IC's come from a reputable builder/seller/tuner. They are not junk IC's. Should the builder be responsible for a faulty core and leaks in these IC's that were never caught as part of the quality control?

just looking for opinions
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Doesn't sound like one was pressure tested.

If the leak is inside the core, the end tanks would have to be removed.

Post some pics.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM
prche951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first picture shows the inside of the tank and core. The leak is at the very end on the right side, at either the last plate or at the end tank. if you pour water into it, it flows out immediately. there is no delay in water coming out.

the next pictures show the area where the leak is coming from an outside view. if you go directly in about an inch or so it is coming from inside that area. The radiator shop guy squeezed the fins out of the way to look at where the leak was coming in from.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Problem, any answers?