Sponsored by:

Gemballa vs UMW Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Seattle996
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Gemballa vs UMW Tune

What up guys.. new to the forum. I’ll start with the customary intro…

I’ve owned a few Porsches so far. Started obsessing w/ an ’01 996TT that was mildly modded w/ a Gemballa tune, exhaust, DV’s. I then decided that she needed a partner, so I picked up an ’04 Cayenne TT which was also mildly modded w/ a GIAC tune and custom exhaust. All was good until the Cayenne blew its tranny and the 996TT started feeling left out so it developed the dreaded 2nd gear pop out. One thing led to another and both pcars were gone.

Fast forward 1 year later.. the bug bit and I purchased an ’03 996TT.

As you all know, when the mod bug bites, your F’d. And mine fortunately (unfortunately if you ask my fiancé) has come in contact w/ Kevin at UMW. The guy literally lives in my backyard.. couldn’t have had a better opportunity.

Long story short.. I purchased Kevins Stage 2A kit.. right now I’m in the ‘internship’ phase as Kevin is building my turbos.

Coming from a tuned Gemballa ECU on my previous 996TT.. the UMW tune is unreal. Both cars are similar in power from my recollection.. but the delivery on the UMW tune is simply awesome. Tons of torque w/ a total increase in drivability over stock. It’s actually quite strange.. I figured it would ride rougher and a bit twitchy, but ultimately faster like the Gemballa. But it’s a noticeable improvement over even the stock ECU settings of refinement. Car pulls like a freight train.. and its just a tune for god sakes.

For all those on the fence.. spend your first money on the tune. It just puts a smile on your face. I’m biased now.. but the UMW tune simply kicks ***. I’ll update once the turbos arrive.. that should be a total mind bomb. Cant wait.. the fiance is already giving me the looks.. shes wondering what her future entails w/ this kind of madness!

Bojan
Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"but the UMW tune simply kicks ***"

Great first post.... You are lucky to have K in your backyard (or unlucky depending if it is your pocket books view point)... Looking forward to the rest.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kevin makes things work better than stock and stay reliable. Plus, he is nice enough to share data.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Seattle996
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fdorn
Great first post.... You are lucky to have K in your backyard (or unlucky depending if it is your pocket books view point)... Looking forward to the rest.
Pretty strange having that type of tuner in the backyard, especially out here. I need to get the Stage2A put on... I think we are a week or so away from that

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Kevin makes things work better than stock and stay reliable. Plus, he is nice enough to share data.
Yep.. very smooth. He is aggressive but runs on the side of caution. I'll take that any day..
Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Another UMW fan here!

I've had the unique experience of having 3 tunes on my car. When I first purchased the car it had Upsolute, which was terrible. I then had an EVOM's tune, and currently UMW. Of the three, hands down Kevin nailed it. The car drives like a dream around town, and pulls like a freight train when I step on it. As soon as I can save some cash, I'll be replacing the K16's with other UMW goodies.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freier
Another UMW fan here!

I've had the unique experience of having 3 tunes on my car. When I first purchased the car it had Upsolute, which was terrible. I then had an EVOM's tune, and currently UMW. Of the three, hands down Kevin nailed it. The car drives like a dream around town, and pulls like a freight train when I step on it. As soon as I can save some cash, I'll be replacing the K16's with other UMW goodies.
What was the difference between the EVOMS tune and the UMW? Did you do the EVOMS Stg1kit with the new MAF? Just curious as my local shop is an EVOMS dealer and I'm just starting to read about UMW.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

hobbstc, feel free to call me or PM Freier..

I'll be able to tell you the "code" difference.

FYI you do NOT need a shop to install the Tuning. It is loaded thru your OBD2 port. 15 seconds and it done.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey Hobbstc, the UMW tune has turned out to be a much more enjoyable driving experience. Smooth in every gear, at every rpm. The added benefit is when you step on the throttle, it delivers gobs of power. I didn't feel that with EVOM and def not with Upsolute. A good friend has ridden in the car as a passenger, and even noticed the acceleration difference between the EVOM and UMW tune when accelerating. My current set up is Miltek exhaust, new MAF, DV's, UMW tune. 2k trouble free, ear to ear smiling miles. Cheers..
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Kevin can be off-putting in talking to people on the phone because of his direct, no nonsense approach. Make no bones about it, he means serious business and he has lots of experience. I do NOT shill for vendors, but i can say that he is the ONLY vendor I've dealt with that I've grown to trust 110%.

I trust nobody else with my tune, my turbos, or the powerplant in my 996TT. I've had some increadible deals thrown my way to try to win me over, and have turned them down...

Mike

Quick Reply: Gemballa vs UMW Tune