Sponsored by:

Pulling Rear Wing Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Pulling Rear Wing Fuse

Been through most threads regarding the rear spoiler hydraulics for some info and answers, but have not been able to find any info regarding the fuse that controls the up and down. Given a ton of guys have experienced the spoiler failing, can one be preemptive and simply pull out the fuse and forget about the spoiler in the raised position? (I've done it and receive no warning lights)

What harm might this do?

If the system begins leaking will the spoiler remain raised or will it begin to lower? My car has an aftermarket GT2 element on the stock rams and is driven (lucky me) with the wing raised on most rides. I am wondering if pulling the fuse and leaving it raised is trouble?

TIA for any insight.

H_D
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
gunther1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly it is D4.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Quinlan
Racer

I think that fuse also controls the fan for the rear hatch - if it does, you could create some problems by pulling it.
Also, leaving the spoiler up leaves the hydraulics in tension (there are very powerful return springs inside the tubes that the rams push against when they are pushed out). This could actually accelerate the seal failure on the ram that is the cause of most of the complaints.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Strange because I got the wiring diagram of the 2002 TT and there is only two relays located in the relay support number 2 which is located behind the aft passengers seats or beside the ecu. The relays are in location 3 and 9. Sorry I don't have any info for my01
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys ... but here is what I learned...

The fuse for the wing also controls the electronic deck release. Ha, Ha... first time I tried to open the deck lid I realized my hair-brained idea was terminal.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 AM
pancakeman
8th Gear

Exclamation pancakeman

You won't be able to open the hood or the trunk if you just pull the fuse. I had the wireing harness changed out. Installed a GT2 harness and eliminated the issue altogather. No more fault light no more spoiler up. Its a bad design going up and down all the time just wears the thing out. I just hope downdraft doesn't become an issue. I have had it up to 185 a couple times with no issue thank God and Germany.... Many times over 140 in the straights as well with nothing noticable though its hard to know as your so busy hanging on to the wheel and your a*# !
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Pauly90266
Instructor

Originally Posted by pancakeman
You won't be able to open the hood or the trunk if you just pull the fuse. I had the wireing harness changed out. Installed a GT2 harness and eliminated the issue altogather. No more fault light no more spoiler up. Its a bad design going up and down all the time just wears the thing out. I just hope downdraft doesn't become an issue. I have had it up to 185 a couple times with no issue thank God and Germany.... Many times over 140 in the straights as well with nothing noticable though its hard to know as your so busy hanging on to the wheel and your a*# !
If you change to the GT2 harness do you have the option of having the rear wing remain in the UP position? If so, that would take care of the down force issue.

In the US, its probably less of an issue as I can't think of a place that you can safely go at your speed, and I travel between Los Angeles and Las Vegas all the time.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
pancakeman
8th Gear

I 'm pretty selective on the speed thing. Travel lots of back roads in MO and AR where other travelers are scarce... My car had a ram leak on one side so the spoiler would not stay up too long without a fix of that. I don't really care much . It looks great in the down position. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Pulling Rear Wing Fuse