Sponsored by:

Road Trip - Watkins Glen DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Road Trip - Watkins Glen DE

Just got back from a 950 mile road trip in the turbo. New Jersey to Watkins Glen to Albany NY and back. Ride from NJ across Pa to Watkins/Horseheads was in pouring rain. Ride across NY on 90 to Albany was also in the rain. Car was great on both days - street tires did fine in the wet.

Car now has 46,000 miles - had the oil changed at about 44,500 - and its still showing full capacity. Nice.

I attended the NNJR PCA event at Watkins - first time doing a DE in the turbo. The other 3 times was in a 09 Shelby GT500 (Lime Rock, Monticello, NJMP). So, I'm a novice. My 02 is totally stock, except for brake fluid.

My instructor at Watkins was great - he also has an 02 Turbo. His car was stock except for suspension (pss9), rotors, pads, tires, and seats/5-point harness. I went for a ride along and its amazing how much faster one can go with: experience, the right line, and modest modifications. Reinforced the idea that new turbos or flashes aren't needed to go fast, just more seat time (for now).

As many of you know, the turns at Watkins - except for the off camber - are all banked, and when hit that banking right you can really accelerate much earlier on exiting the turn. Its like being in a chute. In sum, the car performed wonderfully, I drove it home, and I learned a lot. Can't wait for the next event!

Here are a few photos (my car is no. 11).-

Last edited by JG 996T; 10-21-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I was there too! I have a silver 2001tt and ran in the green group in the morning and was signed off to the Yellow group in the afternoon on Saturday. My number is 199, honestly we have virtually the same car and somehow I didn't see you. I was parked in the paddock and hung around in the shade in there for most of the time so that may be why.

I also ran on Sunday in the rain, quite different from the dry. We ran a wet line for a while and then it dried off a bit and ran the dry line. Gotta say the tt is like cheating driving in the wet. There was nary a wiggle on the wet course and at times you felt the front wheels pull you around the corners if the tail tepped out a wee bit. Never felt too scary after you established the limits.

I'll be at Monticello and NJMSP in October, I'll see you then.

Tytus
Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Tytus
Hey, I was there too!

I also ran on Sunday in the rain, quite different from the dry.

I'll be at Monticello and NJMSP in October, I'll see you then.

Tytus
Hey - that's bizarre, didn't see you either. Not sure if I;m going to make any more events this year - but I was looking at the Metro group's Sep 10 Lime Rock date. Kind of like WG, just much smaller.

I didn't run on Sunday, would have been cool to experience racing in the rain at that track.

Did you get caught in the GT3 RS congo line (before it go towed off on the hook)? Apparently it was brand new and it conked out friday and saturday.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was that the second run in the AM in the Green Group? I saw something weird happen as I came upon a whole bunch of cars almost stopped on the back straight. What was it doing running in that group? I was glad to get out of that group in the afternoon as I had all sorts of missques hapen in front of me in those first 2 sessions.

The tt seems to always run flawlessly; everyone I spoke with has not had any trouble running there cars for the most part. There were 2 other GT3s that were having trouble mechanically that day, not one tt. Knock wood.

I had to cancel my Lime Rock date after I got accepted after being on a wait list due to a dear friends wedding. I am pissed but nothing I can do about it, maybe next year.

Tytus
Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Did you get caught in the GT3 RS congo line (before it go towed off on the hook)? Apparently it was brand new and it conked out friday and saturday.
The car ran out of gas, both times... reinforcing an old adage about money and brains... Too bad -- cost you guys a lot of run time..

Quick Reply: Road Trip - Watkins Glen DE