Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to handle Oregon gas stations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Best way to handle Oregon gas stations...

Got phone call from manager yesterday. As soon as I return to Hayward CA office this Monday (I'm currently on vacation and in Yukon OK) I have to head out to Seattle. Since boss knows I hate to fly I will drive.

But I have to cross Oregon. In the past I was able to make it with a fill up just before the state line and then one as soon as I crossed over into Washington, but the Turbo may not have the range.

The last time I was through Oregon was in my Boxster several years ago and the gas station attendants were sloppy and rough with gas nozzle and just grinned at me when I asked they not bang the nozzle against the paint and not overfill the gas tank.

Is doing your own filling at a station totally forbidden? I don't want to go to jail but I don't want my Turbo's gas filler area beat up nor do I want the vapor recovery system compromised by overfilling. I never overfill or top off the gas tank.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
kennyPride
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, spoke to a buddy in Oregon. You're right typically the gas attendents are required to pump your gas (law?), but if you have a nice motorcycle or of coursce a Porsche, simply walk over to your gas door and the attendent will hand you the gas filler nozzle to fill your own car.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least get out of the car and plant yourself next to the fill cap. You could also get a bottle of Techron or Star-Brite and tell them you want to put this in-which will give you a reason to hang at the filler. Tell them the cap is busted and you have to remove it. Just go for the Oscar.

In MA, some cities wouldn't allow self-serve in the past. Many of those stations had pumps that were less than intuitive to use to discourage self-pumpers, and I can understand since it's their license/insurance on the hook.

It's a toss up if the attendant comes out waving their hands at you, or shrugs and says go for it.

BD
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

how about a Jerry can to make it over the border?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously? Legalize pot, but no pumping your own gas? Guess it is bad for you! :-)

How about, go around OR!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd

How about, go around OR!
+1

(or bite the bullet and fly)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Is doing your own filling at a station totally forbidden?
Sincerely,

Macster.
Yep, that's the law in Oregon. I believe it is there to help keep people employed in the most depressed state in the union.

That said, I lived there for a few years and whenever we pulled into a station on our motorcycles, the attendant would ALWAYS hand over the pump handle to us. Every station, every time, every where. I also had my 356 there with me. I think the attendants always filled that one. Never had any problems.

Most people in Oregon are super friendly. Just get out of the car and make small talk with the attendant. Maybe tell him you're an uptight Californicator and super **** about your "new" Porsche. Make him chuckle and he'll most likely take great care of you and your car. Don't jump out of your car and try to grab the nozzle. You'll most likely **** someone off!

Phil
Old 07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Yep, that's the law in Oregon. I believe it is there to help keep people employed in the most depressed state in the union.

That said, I lived there for a few years and whenever we pulled into a station on our motorcycles, the attendant would ALWAYS hand over the pump handle to us. Every station, every time, every where. I also had my 356 there with me. I think the attendants always filled that one. Never had any problems.

Most people in Oregon are super friendly. Just get out of the car and make small talk with the attendant. Maybe tell him you're an uptight Californicator and super **** about your "new" Porsche. Make him chuckle and he'll most likely take great care of you and your car. Don't jump out of your car and try to grab the nozzle. You'll most likely **** someone off!

Phil
Oh, I was cool the time I went through there before. I was so used to pumping my own gas and the 1st fillup or two was out in the eastern part and I had the station pump nozzle all to myself. Then I got into Bend and that's when the attendant told me about the law. I handed the nozzle over to him no fight or argument.

We'll see how it goes. I'll arrange to where if I have to stop for gas I'll only have to stop once.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 PM
enzowho
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Skip any station with vehicles waiting to be filled. Get out of the car and make small talk with the attendant. Most are extremely respectful of the Porsche and probably 20-30% will offer you the filler nozzle.

Also, Oregon law forbids topping the tank off. Passed a few years ago and most adhere to it.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the ROUGH insertion. It's brutal -

Quick Reply: Best way to handle Oregon gas stations...