Sponsored by:

Fabspeed vs. Europipe: My experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Fabspeed vs. Europipe: My experience

When I redid my ECU (mistake 1-GIAC) 3 years ago, I also went with H and R springs (mistake 2) and the Fabspeed Gen 2 Quiet. Well, I can now count that as mistake 3.
As the miles rolled on, I found myself increasingly annoyed by the drone at sub 3,000 rpm speeds. It got tho the point that I was driving the interstates in 5th gear instead of 6th. The car sounded nasty from outside, but that was the better place to hear it.
After finally admitting my earlier errors, I decided I wanted to drive my car another 80,000 miles (now have 71,000). and I probably couldn't do that if I left the exhaust alone. So, I swallowed my pride, and took Kevin's last piece of advice and ordered a Europipe.
It is worth the difference. The car is much more enjoyable. The Europipe, at least for me, is a better balance of performance and sound. It sounds great from inside and outside the car, and I can drive at sub 3,000 rpm speeds without making my wife scream "shift". My mechanic tells me the quality is better too.
Anyway, if anybody wants a Fabspeed Gen II quiet, I will give you the deal of a lifetime. But, i do realize the above is not a resounding sales endorsement for Fabspeed. PM me if you can use it. AS
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for the Europipe. I have been very happy with mine. I got the stage 2 quiet because I didn't want an overly loud exhaust either.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Never heard the quiet EP, only their loud, which is loud.
Love to hear a quiet 997tt EP if they make such a critter. The Ep doesn't drone bc it's basically one peice, unlike just about all the rest that have multiple joints/clamps to loosen and drone, that's the beauty of EP.
c
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, they make it. Louder and richer sound than stock but not overbearing at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:53 AM
pcastator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed Purchase

how much for the fabspeed-pcastato@amfam.com
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Concur with Mistake 1 and 3, GIAC was a waste of time and money as was the Fabspeed (sounded like my engine was dying). The Europipe 2 Loud has been ideal the last couple of years, not too quiet, not annoying when going to an event at 0600 in the morning...just right! (I also went Kevins advice on the 2c, great decision).

Take the exhaust to the range will be very enjoyable...or sell on eBay.

Originally Posted by 1AS
When I redid my ECU (mistake 1-GIAC) 3 years ago, I also went with H and R springs (mistake 2) and the Fabspeed Gen 2 Quiet. Well, I can now count that as mistake 3.
As the miles rolled on, I found myself increasingly annoyed by the drone at sub 3,000 rpm speeds. It got tho the point that I was driving the interstates in 5th gear instead of 6th. The car sounded nasty from outside, but that was the better place to hear it.
After finally admitting my earlier errors, I decided I wanted to drive my car another 80,000 miles (now have 71,000). and I probably couldn't do that if I left the exhaust alone. So, I swallowed my pride, and took Kevin's last piece of advice and ordered a Europipe.
It is worth the difference. The car is much more enjoyable. The Europipe, at least for me, is a better balance of performance and sound. It sounds great from inside and outside the car, and I can drive at sub 3,000 rpm speeds without making my wife scream "shift". My mechanic tells me the quality is better too.
Anyway, if anybody wants a Fabspeed Gen II quiet, I will give you the deal of a lifetime. But, i do realize the above is not a resounding sales endorsement for Fabspeed. PM me if you can use it. AS
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This is one of the biggest reasons I have not purchased an aftermarket exhaust for mine. Sounds like Europipe is the way to go but I just can't spend that kinda coin right now. Having the home theater room finally finished off which is going to set me back quite a bit. Besides, I'm not modding my car anyway
Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

if it was me, I'd leave the ecu stock, get the EP exhaust and mount the x73. The only exception to a stock ecu would be one from somebody like Kevin. Some have had great success with giac, but I was never impressed.
Dell, I believe there is a simple hack to the stock exhaust to yield a better sound.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Chris, I read some long thread over on 6speed about that. I have thought about it but just been to chicken to try it. Every time I say it out loud it sounds odd....."drill some holes in your exhaust"
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

You can pickup a OEM exhaust for $150, drill it, and if you hate that . . sell it.

Or core trade it for the PBK with the 100% refund policy.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tvurt
You can pickup a OEM exhaust for $150, drill it, and if you hate that . . sell it.

Or core trade it for the PBK with the 100% refund policy.
I'll probably end up trying it anyway. And then, replace with a stock exhaust if I don't like it.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
dacbap
Instructor

On my stage 2 quiet I like the sound of the gurgling and popping noise from the back pressure when letting off on the gas.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Chris, I read some long thread over on 6speed about that. I have thought about it but just been to chicken to try it. Every time I say it out loud it sounds odd....."drill some holes in your exhaust"
I agree it does sound kinda country, but the old PSE was basically the same thing. I think the key is the size hole you make, I would start with a 3/4" and go from there.
c
btw, emailed stef, they don't make a quiet 997tt system, just loud stage 1 and 2.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
+1 for the Europipe. I have been very happy with mine. I got the stage 2 quiet because I didn't want an overly loud exhaust either.
Larry when did you first hear a Europipe II quiet?

Quick Reply: Fabspeed vs. Europipe: My experience