Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was wrong, Kevin got it right (1: ECU)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I was wrong, Kevin got it right (1: ECU)

About 3 years ago, I decided to modify my 2002X50. After some anguish, I elected to go with the GIAC tune from Imagine Auto. At that time, and against Kevin's advice, I also went with a Fabspeed exhaust and H and R springs.
To be polite, I was underwhelmed with the reflash results, and recently decided to go thru the process again, but this time with the UMW re-flash.
It wasn't quite as simple as I had hoped, but let me say the results were worth it, and clearly demonstrate the error of my original decision.
The UMW program was installed after Kevins's additional recommendation to change the diverters, and utilize his wastegate kit. I reflashed to stock X50, and did those two things. Instantly, my car was much improved over the previous GIAC tune, even with the stock program. If somebody had told me that was the re-flash, I would have been satisfied.
The next step was the UMW re-flash. The results are very impressive. Where I had a very difficult time seeing .9 bar before (and .8 stock), that boost is easily seen and 1.0 pops up all the time. I now see boost in the parking lot, and I never saw that before.
More impressive is the immediate, low-rev power. The car can be driven at lower speeds in second and has a dramatic and usable power increase that is very obvious from 3000 rpm and up. The top of the rev range is even more impressive.
The car is just as tractable as stock, but much more responsive. My "other" daily driver is a CLK63 Black Series. Before the change, that car was quicker to 90 than my X50. Now, it isn't close, the X50 is stronger all the way up the speed range.
I wanted to publicly express my gratitude to Kevin, and my regret that I made an error before I got it right. Kevin was extremely gracious and helpful thru the process, as it seems my GIAC re-flashed ECU had a security code different from what Porsche has referenced.
To all who have not gone this re-flash route, you will dramatically enhance your car's performance and daily drivability. The work I described is just a few percent of the value of our cars, but adds enormously to the value of enjoyment. My only regret is not having done it 70,000 miles ago. AS
Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this isn't just a reflash bashing. This is changing diverters and wastegate kit's as well to get the enjoyment?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
So this isn't just a reflash bashing. This is changing diverters and wastegate kit's as well to get the enjoyment?
Na... more like some get it right... and some not so much.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pewter82
Not quite sure what you mean. I didn't try the reflash, then the diverters and wastegate, so cannot comment on the reflash route alone.
Kevin had given me correct advice three years ago, but I elected not to take it. Turns out, he was right. The diverters and wastegate kit add more immediacy to the throttle response. The reflash is more than additive, meaning 1+1=3 in this case.
If there is any hint of bash, it relates to the peculiar change in the security code after the GIAC. For that I had to send away my ECU. I did not mark it or in any way identfy that ECU as mine. I don't know if my logic is wrong, but I wonder if I actually got back a different ECU, as the security code in mine and the one Porsche lists now differ. Also, this ECU showed lots of type 1 overrevs in the first 400 mile of ownership, which I know I never did. I'd be interested if my fear is even possible.
Nonetheless, I am delighted with curent performance. Seems that Porsche must know this stuff, but elects to release it only a bit at a time to allow "improvements" yearly. All comments appreciated. AS
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Now just imagine what larger turbos, intercoolers, pipes and injectors would feel like . ..

Tom
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not following either. Are you saying that aftermarket diverter valves + aftermarket wastegates + UMW Flash > GIAC Flash ?

/m
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I'm saying that:
1. The GIAC flash was underwhelming. I think the major gain came from raising the rev limit, not from substantial program improvements.
2. The diverters plus the wastegates and stock program were better than the GIAC flash with no diverter or wastegate changes. Given the choice of GIAC or the diverter/wastegate changes, the GIAC is the worse choice. Do the diverters/wastegate.
3. The UMW flash plus the diverters/wastegate is a huge difference. It is easily worth the cost, and my regret is that I didn't do it earlier (primarily didn't want to compromise warranty, then made a wrong choice)
4. It is possible that my ECU was substituted when I sent it away 3 years ago, rather than my unit reprogrammed, as there is an unexplained variance in the securty codes, and this ECU shows thousands (64,000, I am informed) of type 1 overrevs in the early miles of use. Since I got my car brand new, I cannot explain that. Don't know if anyone else had that experience or contends it cannot happen.
5. Kevin was enormously helpful in correcting a sequence of problems based upon my initial wrong choices. AS
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll chime in here with my perspective on the whole UMW tune...

I had a K16/24 car with "Upsolute" software... The car never had issues with clutch slip. We installed the UMW tune, along with a 5 bar FPR and 1 bar wastegate springs. Clutch immediately slipped...

I took the car to my indy, who is a "GIAC" gold standard reseller. He recommended their GIAC "clutch kit"... It immediately slipped... So he came up with his version of a stronger kit, and the kit immendiately slipped again... After a bit of back and forth I told him to call Kevin and find out what Kevin recommended and then do it...

Long story short, Kevin didn't make a dime off the clutch kit that he sells, told the indy where to get the parts, and what needed to be done to harness the power... The indy did, and the car has not suffered clutch slip again... Those who have seen my car run or been in my car know how fast it is, how hard it pulls from 2K RPMS on up, and how docile it is in traffic.

And I'm knocking down about 26mpg when I'm not getting stupid with the skinny pedal on the right.
Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
pewter82
Drifting

I understand now what you are saying. Its good advice it sounds like.

jason
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

26 MPG ??????????? How is that possible..best I've gotten on my stock x50 is 18
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Tuning, my friend... TUNING!

Kevin is THE MAN!

And how many 996TTs do this?

UMW Turbos in action BABY!

Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
26 MPG ??????????? How is that possible..best I've gotten on my stock x50 is 18
This is something I wondered about. One explanation could be that the more immediate power delivery keeps your foot lighter on the gas.
Another is that the combustion is actually more efficient.
An alternate is that there is confusion in the calculation. I personally do not manually divide the miles on the trip odo by the gallons at the pump to confirm the avearge mileage on a tank. I have wondered if the computer is measuring something like fuel droplets programmed per second and using that in place of actuel fuel consumption measurement which can lead to an abberrant calculation.
It doesn't matter to me. The car is now so much more enjoyable to drive. You really need to see what happens with a nudge on the gas at 80 mph in 6th gear. The car acts like a big displacement V8, in that it just rushes forward. No more downshift or floor the gas and wait for the revs to build. You see boost go from 0 to .7 in a heartbeat, and then climb from there. AS
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Uh It's simple math gang... Fill the tank up, run the trip meter, fill the tank back up... do the math.

I'm not getting 26mpg around town, but am on the interstate.

Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Alexander it has been "my" pleasure to see you enjoying the car.

Over the years I have received many emails and phone call that request information and data for Ultimate Motorwerks products and services. And there have been some interesting conversations. Three years ago, I did have a lengthy call with Alex. I flat out got "out sold" with many folks my tone and matter of fact approach might be to much>> I will spend the time or make arrangements to explain the differences in hardware and software. And last but not least > I won't be the cheapest. For my services you will be getting product that I have built, designed or tested. From building turbochargers to engineering my wastegate kit and then having it all come together with programming.

I have to Thank Alex for taking the step of Faith. This includes people like Mike, Jon and others who believed in what I said AND what they could expect.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 AM
pewter82
Drifting

I get 26 mpg on the interstate. The computer in the car keeps track, do you not have that function?

Quick Reply: I was wrong, Kevin got it right (1: ECU)