Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a nice 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 AM
earlymidlifecri
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The market is relatively thin, say, compared to a Honda accord. And options, mileage and condition matter a lot. It's not easy to figure out exactly what the going rate for any particular TT should be. Someone put together a spreadsheet for 996TTs about 6 months ago. Perhaps it was Macster. It's a good start.

Victor
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
May be a good buy if you are a rat and looking for a home, oh wait, it already may be occupied.

Almost 9 years old. 255 miles per year.

I'm looking for a car to drive not drain the fluids and put in a museum.

NO THANKS
Garage queens never get any respect.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
2003 TT - Lightly optioned.
Guards Red
Sport seats
Europipe-2 Quiet
GIAC Stage 2 Flash - 500/500 switchable to stock and back - but why would you want to
PSS9 coil overs
GT3 adjustable sways
TRG adjustable drop links
Adjustable short shift kit
GT3 Cup car front brake ducts/deflectors
Recent clutch accumulator and slave replacement
Full OEM workshop manuals (Try finding these anywhere today).
Michelin PS2 tires at over 75% read remaining
34,000 miles
Always garaged - maintained by **** retentive mechanical engineer.
All original parts (exhaust, suspension, etc. included)
$52,000

Second set of wheels with Michelin Sport Cups (2 DE events) available separately.
Recaro SPG XL race seat with Shroth harnesses and harness bar available separately.

I'm not in a hurry to sell, but every journey starts with the first step. I am the original owner have have personally driven every mile on the clock.

Cheers,
I am interested in your TT for sale. Can you send me any images of the car or post some?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by earlymidlifecri
The market is relatively thin, say, compared to a Honda accord. And options, mileage and condition matter a lot. It's not easy to figure out exactly what the going rate for any particular TT should be. Someone put together a spreadsheet for 996TTs about 6 months ago. Perhaps it was Macster. It's a good start.

Victor
Wasn't me. Someone else came up -- IIRC -- a formula that helped one determine if the price for the car was in the ballpark, well, that's not the right term. I honestly don't remember the exact wording, a concise description of the formula but I know I used it, once, and plugged in the numbers for my car and was happy that formula showed I did better than average on my car's purchase.

Not sure what search terms to use to find this either. The threads are close to a year old and reside here. And I think the same formula appeared in the 996 Turbo/GT3 section of 6speedonline.

Here, I found the post:
--------------------------

As promised, except about 6 months late, here are some toplines of the data from this thread.

There are a million ways to slice the data, so whoever would like the data sheet sent to them, I would be glad to send it as I don't know how to attach it to the post.

Topline conclusion is that while a few people got a great deal on their cars lately, the well known "you get what you pay for" is true here. The overall drop in pricing is a combination of car age and increase in mileage - low mile cars still bring premium, and will likely continue to do so, while some cars that rack up mileage become steals.

My only comment to some of the folks that bought their cars pre-major depreciation is that I don't feel at all like you paid "too much" for your cars and you should not regret spending the extra $$ - you bought your cars with low miles and prectically new, and got to enjoy them for several years until they became affordable to the rest of us, and that should be well worth the premium to any car enthusiast. :-)

So, the sample for the attached grid is 77 cars sold in last 2 years. Most of the cars sold prior to 2008 that were shared here were sold at premium pre-major depreciation and close to the manufacture year (2004/2005s), so they are more of outliers for analysis purposes.

In the sheet attached, "TT" coded cars are 996TT cars, and "TT+" are X50, Cab, S or a combination of those. Many ways to slice the data, but I thought it would be valid to compare base TTs vs. higher trims to see price variations. The sheet includes avg. prices and mileage by mfg. year, TT vs. TT+, and overall pricing/mileage averages.

The average price for a base trim car sold in last 2yrs (accross mfg years) is $52K, and average mileage is 27k. Higer trim cars average $62K, and average mileage of 23k.

2001's overall average $45K, and mileage of 33K, while 2002-2005 cars average $60k, and average mileage of 23K.

The detail sheet I have also has info on what extra options/mods each of the cars came with at the time of purchase - glad to send it, just need your e-mail.

Let me know if you have any questions, and sorry for the delay in sharing this!

Hope some of you shopping for a TT find this useful, and those of you already owning this awesome piece of Porsche engineering don't regret your purchase over a couple of grand. :-)

Thanks, TK
------------------------------------------------------

The post from which I obtained that text has an attached spreadsheet which I can't seem to find a way to include here.

But find the post here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-996tt-14.html

Post #205.

Post #209 offers a formula that you might find interesting, though I'm not sure how to date it is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Ploglet,

PM sent.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Ploglet,

PM sent.
Responded. Car sounds great.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've found the car, completed a PPI, dealt with the few issues mentioned in the PPI like new front rotors and pads and am going to see the car in 2 weeks, hopefully finalize the deal and take it for a one week drive throughout the US northeast before importing the car into Canada.

Life is good.

Quick Reply: Looking for a nice 996 turbo