Sponsored by:

Clutch plate thickness

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 01:25 PM
cccscotland
Advanced

Default Clutch plate thickness

Hi all,

While my 996TT is having major engine surgery - snapped timing chain, bent valves etc. but seems repairable.... I figure I may as well replace the clutch. It was replaced last year but has done 20k miles since, and as each previous clutch lasted 30k miles, it would be worth doing now.

As the fly, pressure plate and friction disc were all new last year and seem in perfect condition, rather than pay the £500 that Porsche wanted, I figure I could get the disc relined for around £50. To do this I would need the overall thickness of a new friction disc. Does any one know this number?

Also has anyone done anything like this?
M
Old 05-20-2010 | 01:32 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

What caused so much engine damage?
Old 05-21-2010 | 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by cccscotland
Hi all,

While my 996TT is having major engine surgery - snapped timing chain, bent valves etc. but seems repairable.... I figure I may as well replace the clutch. It was replaced last year but has done 20k miles since, and as each previous clutch lasted 30k miles, it would be worth doing now.

As the fly, pressure plate and friction disc were all new last year and seem in perfect condition, rather than pay the £500 that Porsche wanted, I figure I could get the disc relined for around £50. To do this I would need the overall thickness of a new friction disc. Does any one know this number?

Also has anyone done anything like this?
M
Was not able to find any disc thickness callout. I did find a dimension for determining if the disc needed replacing, the thickness of the friction material above the rivets.

If the flywheel, pressure plate, and friction disc were all new last year and seem in perfect condition then I see no reason to even go the expense of having the disc relined.

Generally disc wear is accelerated early in the clutch's life and then slows way down and essentially becomes zero for a long long time.

If you relined the clutch chances are the gain in clutch disc thickness would be lost again during the initial use of the clutch and the clutch disc's thickness would be very close to what it is now in a short span of time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-21-2010 | 10:30 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Default Repair manual page 685

There it is....
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2010 | 02:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
There it is....
I don't see how one can derive the thickness of the disc friction material from that drawing.

Unless the rivets alternate directions from which they were installed and knowing how much distance there is between the disc material and the rivet on one side and then the other one can with the existing thickness work it out.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Clutch plate thickness