Sponsored by:

Help ID a rear wheel/brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ID a rear wheel/brake squeal

At low speed I can hear a squeal coming from the rear wheel area. It is a low volume squeal and sounds like what's typical from brake pads. If while moving I put my foot on the brake lightly, the squeal stops.

Also, I do have a slight squeal of brake pads when coming to a stop which is not unusual but this is while the car is moving and no brakes applied.

Any ideas of what to check? Could the pads/caliper be dragging?

Keith
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Smithk993,

It might be the E-brake hanging up.

T2
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk993
At low speed I can hear a squeal coming from the rear wheel area. It is a low volume squeal and sounds like what's typical from brake pads. If while moving I put my foot on the brake lightly, the squeal stops.

Also, I do have a slight squeal of brake pads when coming to a stop which is not unusual but this is while the car is moving and no brakes applied.

Any ideas of what to check? Could the pads/caliper be dragging?

Keith
I hear this once in a while. Once in a while is approx. once or twice per year, mainly in the summer months.

Pads are dragging a bit. What I found cures the noise -- until next time -- is to take the car to a DIY car wash and use the wand on soap setting to wash the brake hardware thoroughly. Avoid jamming the nozzle right down next to the pistons but do aim the water in between the caliiper gap where the pistons are against the rotors.

At the same time -- nice if someone behind the wheel and can move the car foward or backward a bit -- hit the rotors hard with the spray to flush all dust build up -- if there is any -- from the brake rotor holes. When I got my 03 Turbo (used) the holes were all plugged up but doing this cleaned them right out and they have not plugged up since.

Switch over to rinse and rinse the soapy water away. You can use regular rinse setting or you can use the no spot rinse which at the car washes I use is a lower pressure spray.

This will remove the build up of brake dust (mainly brake dust) and allow the piston seals to pull the pistons back from the rotor face slightly. It is the pads being left against the rotor that results in the squeal.

Be sure you drive the car afterwards to thoroughly dry the brakes or they'll rust.

At slow speed you can gently apply the e-brake and let it drag a bit. This dries the e-brake shoes/drums and removes any surface rust that builds up in there.

If you want to try this last step first to see if the noise changes afterwards to eliminate the possibility the e-brakes are dragging a bit -- I don't think they are -- there is no harm. Just don't let the e-brakes drag too much.

The e-brake system is not meant to deal with alot of heat only meant to hold the car from rolling once stationary. (The shoes can be aluminum and if so they can get hot enough to "smear" molten aluminum on the cast iron drum surfaces or worse seize and break something internal.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Help ID a rear wheel/brake squeal