Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Hack/Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I installed my garage door opener switches (I have 2 of them) in the overhead console (which you can only do if you have a coupe). The transmitter itself is Velcro-ed to a metal part above the overhead console (plus it's a tight squeeze there, so you could even do without the Velcro). I used two 1/2" diameter momentary switches (in shiny black matching the other factory switches) that I got from Radio Shack, back when there was a Radio Shack. Overall, it looks very factory-like and the switches are up high where you get the best range and where the manufacturer usually installs the Homelink switches.
Any pictures of your install?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go.
Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Solution: sport seats
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive me, but I’m handicapped with electrical mods. I bought a keychain garage door opener and have programmed the big button for my porsche door. Works normal. I’ve ordered the Targa switch and the ashtray delete (I want to put the switch down there). I also have a community gate remote I was going to try to put on the other side of the switch.

Questions:

1. Can I tap power for switch lighting off the outer connectors of one of the window switches?
2. Can anyone tell me where to solder wires on the back of this fob? It’s different than the one in this thread (see pics). similar to the one in the Heidi/Franny vid...but not exact.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:32 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flyn2001

no need for any power source. use the battery from the door opener. push the buttons at the top pof the opener. the one the opens the door gets soldered to the targa switch. any post on the switch works. then tape it all up and slip it into the console under the ashtray delete.
The following users liked this post:
Boss_Angeles (04-14-2024)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:04 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
no need for any power source. use the battery from the door opener. push the buttons at the top pof the opener. the one the opens the door gets soldered to the targa switch. any post on the switch works. then tape it all up and slip it into the console under the ashtray delete.

Thanks man. Yeah, was definitely planning to use the battery for remote power, but was wondering about powering the Targa switch’s light (at night time). Also, just not sure what is what on the back of the circuit board (3rd pic posted). I think I have to solder a ground wire somewhere and then the other lead somewhere else.

I guess what I’m asking is where the heck do I solder the wires? thanks again!
Old 06-17-2018, 03:26 AM
flyn2001
Instructor

Ok, I think I got it figured out. I’ll let you know how it goes! Cheers!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks man. Yeah, was definitely planning to use the battery for remote power, but was wondering about powering the Targa switch’s light (at night time). Also, just not sure what is what on the back of the circuit board (3rd pic posted). I think I have to solder a ground wire somewhere and then the other lead somewhere else.

I guess what I’m asking is where the heck do I solder the wires? thanks again!
no real need to powwer the targa switch. its the only switch that works behind the delte kit. your hand just naturally goes to it.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:51 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Finished! Waiting on Targa switch and non-smokers shelf to arrive!!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:20 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

My write-up and some pics. This is for a Chamberlain or Liftmaster keychain remote.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post15089823
Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My write-up and some pics. This is for a Chamberlain or Liftmaster keychain remote.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post15089823
Here's my Liftmaster remote. The only modification I made was removing the clip on the back side.

I idle cool my turbos while sitting in my driveway, so while waiting I just open the center console lid, stick my finger in, and select the appropriate button on the remote.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 PM
StefanCA
Track Day

Thanks for this great writeup, did the modification as well, looks great and works perfectly!
Old 04-14-2024, 07:31 PM
Boss_Angeles
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did the garage door mod so my car has an OEM look garage door opener. Still don't understand why this doesn't come on the car but oh well.

What you need:
1 Targa Shade Switch #996 613 119 10 A05
1 Garage Door Opener
1 Soldering Kit
Crimps/Etc

Here's what I did.

1. Took apart my garage door opener to get the circuit board out

2. Located the button that activated the door (red button)

3. Flip board over and figure out which to two connection points activate the switch. You can figure this out easily by getting a paperclip, opening it up and then using both ends of the clip touch the contacts under the button (there are probably four). The two that activate the garage door (make sure you are near the door so you can see it activate) are your two connection points. Mark them with a sharpie or the such so you know which ones they are.

4. Solder a short pice of wire to one connection and another piece of wire to the other connection. I used 18 gauge wire.

5. At the end of one of the wires place a crimp on it and then insert two more wires into the other end of that crimp.

**Now you should have 3 exposed wires (one from one connection and two that were created out of the other connection)**

6. Place a female spade connection on all 3. I'd make sure and take your Targa switch with you to Radio Shack, etc, when you buy the spade connection so you get the right side that slides onto the posts on the back of the switch.

**If you want to make it light up then do step 7**

7. If you have heated seats (I'm sure you can use another switch for lights but I used heated seats) then you can tap into the + and - light terminals on one of your heated seat switched to make your new switch illuminate when you lights are on. To do this you need to tap the + (blue with red hash line) and - (brown) and run them to the two remaining posts on your targa shade switch. I have included the schematic so you know which post is + and which is -

8. After you have attached your 3 or 5 spade connectors test the unit for operation as well as lighting (if you did all 5).

9. If all works well, slide the circuit board in the cavity of the dash behind where the switch will go, attach the new switch to the center console trim (in a blank spot) and snap back on the console trim.

Voila! You have a garage door opening that looks OEM!

MAKE SURE YOU PUT A FRESH BATTERY IN THE OPENER SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE IT FOR SOME TIME!!!
Love that you did that. Too bad you don't want to make them for sale! A GREAT product. Is there a glossy Targa shade switch for a 99 996? Too bad you can't modify one of the pop out CD trays to have the battery in it.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:06 AM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I used my rear wiper switch since I removed the motor.

Last edited by QwikKotaTX; 04-15-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Hack/Mod