Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default anyone know this car?

Does anyone have knowledge of this car?
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1612795583.html

8600 miles?? I am skeptical.

I was not in the market for a 996TT, but a quick check of prices tells me that I could be this close.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low miles indeed. Are you looking for a tiptronic? Great color combination.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Low miles indeed. Are you looking for a tiptronic? Great color combination.
Speed Yellow - not very stealthy, but one of the best colors ever

Tip? originally - No. But I might be convinced. Surely the engineers at Porsche knew what they were doing when they hooked up a tip to a TT. I have to respect them a bit.
The car will be a daily driver for me, with about 4 DE's per year at my current pace.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 PM
z99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great price for a low mileage car. I spent a good amount of time bidding low mile cars on e bay. I would think if car was clean (car fax and auto check), it would get higher bid then 41000. I finally bought a 2003 X50 in January with 6000 miles. Bids behind me were in the low 50s. I think market has improved since. I would think X50 not worth more the 5k in used market.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964

I was not in the market for a 996TT, but a quick check of prices tells me that I could be this close.
I picked up an 03 last June with 9500 mles. When it first came into dealer it had 9400 miles.

Is there a Porsche dealer in Colorado Springs? That's around 30 miles from Pueblo. I'd like to see regular service records. At least evidence the engine treated to oil/filter services every year, a couple of brake fluid changes.

If tires original the tires will have to be replaced due to age. Alignment a good idea. It is out. If it hasn't been done, a brake fluid flush/bleed.

The Tip transmission comes from Mercedes-Benz. Heavy duty sucker. I can speak from having put 21K miles on my 03 Turbo since I bought it last June the 6-speed is not as smooth shifting as my 02 Boxster's 5-speed and the Turbo's clutch action a bit tricky to master 100% of the time. The clutch is overboosted and doesn't have quite the feel the Boxster's clutch has. Sure the Turbo's clutch lighter but feel counts for something. I'd prefer to have a slightly heavier clutch action with more feel.

A Tip in one of these cars is not the end of the world. If you can arrange to drive a 6-speed then the Tip.

Personally I like speed yellow and think it is an awesome color for these cars. (I had an 08 Cayman S in speed yellow.) My Turbo is arctic silver, a nice color (I feel like a Swiss banker driving the thing) but I would have bought a speed yellow one if I hadn't found this pristine arctic silver one. (Considered a lapis blue one too, but that would have been a bit much blue, cause my 02 Boxster is lapis blue.)

Don't know about the price. I have not kept up on Turbo prices. Tip and the color probably work to drive the price down some. Bad for the seller but good for a buyer who is not put off by either. Then there's the location. Pueblo sort of off the beaten path though it is not that far from Colorado Springs and Denver. I'm sure the drop in energy and metal/mineral prices has hurt that part of the country and helped depress prices.

The usual cautions about having car PPI'd, overrev counts pulled, engine run time (to verify low miles really low but I suspect the low miles legitimate), etc., applies.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My 01 has 5600 miles on it.
Garage queens do exist
Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
My 01 has 5600 miles on it.
Garage queens do exist
I should have said "cautious" rather than "skeptical". By that, I mean I am concerned about a car being "under-driven". I think they need to be driven regularly to stay in shape. And then, even if not driven much, have the critical time, not mileage, variables been attended to - oil change, brake fluid change, tire age ... And then there are long term storage issues like rodent damage. (my car doesn't sit still long enough for mice to take up residence). As with anything, there is an ideal balance between extremes. Like healthcare
I do have an appreciation for garage queens - it is great to see beauty preserved.

I will check it out to see what history is available. Thanks for the feedback. The 996TT is a new animal for me.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

I should have said "cautious" rather than "skeptical". By that, I mean I am concerned about a car being "under-driven". I think they need to be driven regularly to stay in shape. And then, even if not driven much, have the critical time, not mileage, variables been attended to - oil change, brake fluid change, tire age ... And then there are long term storage issues like rodent damage. (my car doesn't sit still long enough for mice to take up residence). As with anything, there is an ideal balance between extremes. Like healthcare
I do have an appreciation for garage queens - it is great to see beauty preserved.

I will check it out to see what history is available. Thanks for the feedback. The 996TT is a new animal for me.
Forgot to add that a spark plug change is due on time (every 4 years) unless of course owner has paperwork showing one done recently and thus not due.

You are wise to be a bit cautious of an 2001 with so few miles. The concern to me with a low mileage car is that it was not driven enough to bring out an inherent problems that would have been covered under warranty.

Problems if any arise from miles driven, not time car spends sitting unused.

There's the worst case scenario: a bad engine; but these cars don't seem to go through engines like the lesser models do. The Turbo engine is based on a different engine platform and appears to be a much more robust platform.

However, there can be other things that go wrong early. In my car's case the rear spoiler acted up and there was a problem with the sun roof. The car made several trips to the dealer for each of thes problems. They were ultimately solved -- the rattly roof a real effort -- but they were done so with the car under new car warranty and of course with whatever leverage/goodwill a car buyer who had just dropped -- in my 03's case -- $119,000 (sticker price) on a new car, had.

Take in a 7 or 9 year old car with a rattly sunroof or a goofy acting up spoiler and prepare to spend lots of money while the tech sorts it out. (Although, chances are he's seen one or two car with same symptom now so maybe he would be quicker at it.)

There is the above. Then there is the point of view it makes no sense to pay a premium for a low miles car -- cause you almost can bet the seller will look upon the low miles as a bonus to him -- cause as soon as you buy the car and start to accumulate miles the car's low mileage cachet disappears. Thus you bear the brunt of more of the car's depreciation than you otherwise would if yo bought a car with more miles with less of a price premium.

A bonus for me regarding my 03 Turbo is it came with a 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty good until June 2011 and of course with just 9500 miles I have nearly as many miles coverage as I want. I have already covered 21K miles (odometer is up to nearly 30K miles, will be at 30K miles in another 795 miles) and might if I keep the car get up to 50K miles or so before the warranty expires on time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default turbo

i'm pretty sure this ad is a SCAM!
things a that r too good to b true, aren't.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
RSM!
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could take a look at it for you. Let me know if you need me to. Ill PM you my Phone #
Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it too legit, dont quite.

a 2002 996tt sold this week a few miles from me for low 40s. it had 43 k miles on it and it looked "tired" when i saw it.

it seems these cars are going for the high 30s at aucton.

so, investigate, get PPI at a good dealer or independant shop.

surfer161
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That car has been for sale for some time. Not sure why it hasnt sold, other than it is a Tip.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ploglet
That car has been for sale for some time. Not sure why it hasnt sold, other than it is a Tip.
Down turn in the economy of the area. The color being speed yellow, not everyone's cup of tea, and it is a Tip, also not everyone's cup of tea.

There's always the possibility of odometer tampering of course but there are ways to verify the odometer's unmolested.

And the car could be some Frankenstein of a car that upon closer examination is obvious which is why the car has not sold.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It has been for sale a while. Consider it is a TIP and the location it is for sale. I am not sure he is advertising it anywhere else. I also think he is selling a 993 C4S race car too. I can't seem to find the ad. Maybe he sold it.

Quick Reply: anyone know this car?