Sponsored by:

TSB's, who pays?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB's, who pays?

I am the proud new owner of a 2001 996 T. Today, I looked at a bunch of TSB. I seems as if the car matches one of the TSB's. The one on re-lubing a couple of plastic bushings in the seat frame to eliminate some noise when the seat is adjusted back and forth. Is a dealership bound to do the work on PCNA's dime or since the car is out of warranty is it at the the owner's expenses? I also have a very squeaky sun roof alcantara pad. It seems to make noise when rubbing against the flat plastic strip it rests on when closed. Is there a specific lubricant that can be used to stop the noise, or should I just drive faster and pay attention to my driving instead?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSB are service bulletins that give the techs instructions on addressing known/common issues. If the service is being done on a car that is out of warrantee, the work is done at the owner’s expense. They are different from recalls which are usually carried out at the expense of the manufacture and often to correct safety issues.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 302 Posts

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they might "goodwill" the repair, but most likely you pay for any TSBs, especially when you are not the original owner. You could grease your own seat rails if you'd like.

TSBs basically give guidance to the techs on reported issues that don't rise to the level of a recall, not as an extension of warranty coverage.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

I kind of expect to do my own work. I am thrilled about being able to read the TSBs which point me in the right direction as far as Porsche's official fix. I won't be dropping my engine any time soon though.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get the TSB's ?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I know that there is a principle here, but for some noise, just buy a can of spray lithium white grease for $4 from home depot. Less trouble IMHO.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default Tsb's

the TSBs are posted on RennTech.org. In order to view them, you have to become a member. Which means making a $ donation to defray upkeep costs. The site is down right now for upgrades.

Quick Reply: TSB's, who pays?