Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling sound upon initial startup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM
godxilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling sound upon initial startup...

I just purchased an 01 996tt. It checked out well by a p-car mech. However, when i first get rolling, 0 to 5 mph, i hear the sound of something rolling coming from the rear of the car. as if something was in loose and rolling around. Nothing is visually loose. I spoke the PO who said that a p car mech told him it might be something exhaust system rolling around.

Any one else experience something like this? Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by godxilla
I just purchased an 01 996tt. It checked out well by a p-car mech. However, when i first get rolling, 0 to 5 mph, i hear the sound of something rolling coming from the rear of the car. as if something was in loose and rolling around. Nothing is visually loose. I spoke the PO who said that a p car mech told him it might be something exhaust system rolling around.

Any one else experience something like this? Any ideas?
Get the car up on a lift and with the car cold -- so you don't burn yourself touching something hot -- with your fist bang on the exhaust system at various places to see if you can get the system to make a noise or rattle or cause something inside rattle.

You have nearly two identical sides and the idea is that one is quiet the other noisy and the differences will be detectable and once detected the reason for the difference known.

Probably not something rolling around -- unless someone put a nut or bolt perhaps in an exhaust pipe during manufacturer/assembly or someone put a marble in an exhaust pipe outlet later -- but a loose and rattly heat shield or a loose or broken exhaust system hanger/bracket.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Rolling sound upon initial startup...