Sponsored by:

Which car for daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So how easy/hard is it to locate a car with heated sports seats (how many seats were available, just "regular" and sport like my 944 turbo, or other kinds?), xenon headlights, 3 spoke wheel, etc?

I know these cars were ala carte when ordering, did most of them come over with a basic menu of options and most of the other options were things like Nav and different trim packages?
I just bought one with the heated seats option. It wasn't very hard to find. A lot of advertisements don't mention if the car has heated seats but if you look at the pictures of the interior take a look at the center of the dash, down at the bottom, below the stereo. If the car has heated seats there will be two buttons there - one on the left side and one on the right. Those are the heated seats buttons. If the car does not have them then it does not have the heated seats. I would guess that roughly 1/2 of the cars I looked at had them.

The yellow one for sale here is a beauty that I would have strongly considered but it did not have heated seats and I had my heart set on a black car.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I just bought one with the heated seats option. It wasn't very hard to find. A lot of advertisements don't mention if the car has heated seats but if you look at the pictures of the interior take a look at the center of the dash, down at the bottom, below the stereo. If the car has heated seats there will be two buttons there - one on the left side and one on the right. Those are the heated seats buttons. If the car does not have them then it does not have the heated seats. I would guess that roughly 1/2 of the cars I looked at had them.

The yellow one for sale here is a beauty that I would have strongly considered but it did not have heated seats and I had my heart set on a black car.
Was it sport seats though? My car has heated seats, but they're not sports seats.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd
Get a Toyota then.
Ok, I apologize for a useless post, but I chuckled when I saw your post.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipecac
Ok, I apologize for a useless post, but I chuckled when I saw your post.
Hah! A Toyota these days will end up killing you because they don't want to tarnish their reputation and perception by issuing safety recalls.

///Michael
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 347 Posts

Gotta watch out for those killer floor mats!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends upon whether you really like a little "zip" when you mash the accelerator. If the Porsche style is what you like...then I had a 99 C2 that I really liked....but the 3.4 litre engine is known for a few idiocyncracies like intermix, intermediate shaft, and the "D" fracture from the cylinder wall....but since you can get them for the low 20's now....that would be a great DD. If you want more zip and a bit more established reliability, then the 3.6 litre engine is showing a little more longevity and ability to enjoy a bit of performance enhancement with a few relatively cost effective modifications that give you a lot for the return on lthe investment..

You haven't said what your fiscal threshold is, so your question is a little open ended and hard to answer without a little more detail. I really liked my 99 C2 and if it hadn't had a dash fire, I'd probably still be pumping money into it trying to make it into a 996 turbo. Take that to mean if you want performance, dont' try to make a 3.4 litre engine into a turbo....just go out and buy a turbo to start with.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Threshold is probably low $40k's. I've always wanted a turbo and since I live at altitude, the NA cars really suffer performance wise. Having awd is also an added bonus....
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to find a stock, unmolested 996TT in the 40s.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Gasman....they're out there...usually in the 35-55K mile range; may even find some with a bit less mileage...some of them well cared for and have some nice mods. That's what I'd be looking for.

Altitude works against you for the NA....and one you've driven a turbo, you'd never be happy with an NA. The TT platform just lends itself so well to low cost modifications that enhance performance noticeably.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yep, that seems to be the mileage, which I'm perfectly fine with. There are several cars listed in the high $30k's range even.

I'd love to find a car that's been flashed/exhaust, etc that'd save me some time and money.

Up here turbo cars just kill the NA cars performance wise, then with additional power so readily available on the turbo's it's icing on the cake...
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Was it sport seats though? My car has heated seats, but they're not sports seats.
They aren't GT3/GT2 seats if that is what you mean.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
They aren't GT3/GT2 seats if that is what you mean.
Nope, I meant sports seats. Maybe it's different in the US - but over here, the 996 turbos can have two types of seats - sports seats were a pay option. Mine has the stock non-sports seats.

Quick Reply: Which car for daily driving?