Oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil filter wrench

Does anybody know what size the oil filter wrench needs to be?I bought one that is 74mm and 76mm and it seems to be a size inbetween. I have spent 2 hours and 2 trips to the auto store trying to find something to take it off. I can get a fairly good grip on it but the thing must have been put on with a impact driver at the dealer last time. Is this a Porsche specific size and will I have to go get the unatainium Porsche$$ part in order to get it off?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 to $22 at your dealer) (from Loren at Renntech)

Last edited by wross996tt; 02-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 to $22 at your dealer) (from Loren at Renntech)
I found the correct size. its 76mm 14 flats. The one I bought had 15 flats. Pelican has it for $37 so I would think the dealer now sells it for more.

EDIT: I got the correct size cap wrench at Autozone for less then $6. I will take my stamp tool and mark it Porsche then put it up on Ebay for $35 for anybody that wants one.

Last edited by jimq; 11-29-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim: I got a complete set of four aluminum oil filter wrenches (65mm-93mm) including a 74mm/76mm in a kit from WalMart for $8 but the 74mm/76 wrench had 14 flats, and works. (This sounds a bit like the one you got) You just have to press it on and it has the 3/8 inch drive. I had no trouble taking off the oil filter so yours must have been put on with a torque wrench!!...Although the fit was a bit tight, I'm going to take a flat file the width of the flats and work on them a bit for a better fit. Are you sure you had 15 flats kuz it sounds like the same as the one I got....did yours come in a set of four?

Come to think of it, I don't really know how many flats there are on a Porsche oil filter.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

the first one I bought had 15 flats. The second and correct one has 14 flats
I couldnt believe how tight the dealer had put the filter on.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
aroonkl
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche dealer, here in St Pete, FL, said they do not sell Porsche Tool and chased me away. I found one at Auto Discount with 74mm (or 76 not sure) 14 flute for American car. Work perfect and cheap, around $5.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course they'd "chase you away"....they don't like to see people do service because that's where they make most of their money....service mark ups for what..... in some cases amounts to a rather simple task....then they throw in a bunch of "we checked this, and that, and that, and the air in your tires, and your steering wheel thickness etc etc". If you're not under warranty any longer, you can save a bunch of $$ by DIY projects.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by aroonkl
Porsche dealer, here in St Pete, FL, said they do not sell Porsche Tool and chased me away. I found one at Auto Discount with 74mm (or 76 not sure) 14 flute for American car. Work perfect and cheap, around $5.
The parts department is being stupid. A letter to the GM of the dealership might get a change of heart out of the parts department.

I judge a dealership by how I'm treated at all times. While I do my own oil/filter and air filter and brake work, I buy filters and brake hardware at the dealership.

I have other work done at the dealership. If a parts counter ever turned me away -- and so far none have -- when I try to buy stuff for my DIY projects, I'd complain to the GM and let him know that not only will the dealership lose my parts and service/maintenance and repair business, but I also would never buy another car from his dealership.

As a car buyer the relationship with the selling side of the dealership is very brief. A couple of hours and I've bought a car, the bulk of that time is filling out the paper work.

Afterwards, the relationship turns into a service relationship -- and it is a long term relationship -- and I must receive good and dependable service.

In the past when I've been unable to receive quality service -- for instance when every time I took my GTO in for anything the service employees would take the car out for a joyride on their lunch break (had trip logging device in the car and caught employees at two different dealers doing this) -- I've been known to get rid of the car and replace it with another, which is what I did with the GTO. Traded it in on an 08 Cayman S. And added GM to my list as a brand I would never ever do business with again.

If the service relationship is bad then the dealership has lost my business, all of my business forever. If I find that too many dealerships are unable to give me good service -- as was the case with the GTO and the several local/nearby GM/Pontiac dealerships (including the dealership I bought the car from) -- I'll dump the Porsches and buy another brand of car for which I can get good service.

Try a letter. I bet it will have a surprising positive effect on your next and subsequent visits to the dealership.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Why go to Porsche anyways to buy a $5 tool they charge $50 for.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 AM
aroonkl
AutoX

Originally Posted by Macster
but I also would never buy another car from his dealership.
You are right. I right away made up my mind never buy any single car from this dealer again.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 AM
aroonkl
AutoX

Originally Posted by jimq
Why go to Porsche anyways to buy a $5 tool they charge $50 for.
I did not know what to buy. Car was at home and parted out for new turbos. Went to 2-3 parts store before dealer. They got no idea and no parts in any books.
Some forum friends saids they got from dealer for around $30. So I tried but got chased away as mentioned.

Quick Reply: Oil filter wrench