Sponsored by:

Help! Engine oil overfill

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Engine oil overfill

Please help, went to change the oil on my 01 996T and forgot to drain the dry sump, so I overfilled the engine. First noticed heavy smoke and stopped, realized I had forgotten to drain the dry sump. Went back, drained everything, put in proper levels, took it for a test drive and got heavy smoke then CEL then could not start the car. Only got about 1 mile down the road, towed it back to the garage and noticed heavy oil in the air filter box.

Need direction on what to do next. Please help me salvage my holiday weekend! Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

WOW!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Didn't drain any oil, just added 8 more quarts?
That was SERIOUSLY overfilled!
I would think at a minimum you could cleanout the intake tract, replace the air filter and clean the MAF sensor. Turn the key and hope for the best!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, I would not start the car again but have it towed to your local shop.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by badger15
Please help, went to change the oil on my 01 996T and forgot to drain the dry sump, so I overfilled the engine. First noticed heavy smoke and stopped, realized I had forgotten to drain the dry sump. Went back, drained everything, put in proper levels, took it for a test drive and got heavy smoke then CEL then could not start the car. Only got about 1 mile down the road, towed it back to the garage and noticed heavy oil in the air filter box.

Need direction on what to do next. Please help me salvage my holiday weekend! Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
While correcting this problem doable I'd suggest you have car flat bedded to shop for attention.

If you want to tackle it yourself, drain both engine sump and oil tank of all oil. Add 8 quarts of oil to engine.

Remove air filter box and as best you can wipe out any oil in intake system...

No. No. No. No.

It just occurred to me if oil got into intake system it has likely ended up in the lowest places of the intake and that would be in the intercoolers. They're probably filled with oil and this is preventing any air flow into the engine.

The hoses to/from these would have to be uncoupled and the oil drained. Perhaps even the intercoolers would have to be removed and flushed with some oil remover and made clean and dry and free of oil.

I suggest you have car flat bedded to dealership and tell the service manager what happened.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Help! Engine oil overfill