Trouble starting: old gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trouble starting: old gas?

Hi
I just picked up my TT from the garage, its been there 18months!

It starts, doesnt rev past 3k and then dies in 20seconds. My first thought is that the gas... would 18mth old gas be the problem? If so i have half a tank, can i drain it out?

Cheers
Miles
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

first get the codes read...your issue may be related to fuel...pump, hoses or bad fuel, but the codes will help rule out other possibilities.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles965uk
Hi
I just picked up my TT from the garage, its been there 18months!

It starts, doesnt rev past 3k and then dies in 20seconds. My first thought is that the gas... would 18mth old gas be the problem? If so i have half a tank, can i drain it out?

Cheers
Miles
18 months? "bad" (more like just plain old) gas would be my first guess.

At 18 months old with no stability additive beforehand I believe draining the tank of the old gas would be a good step. Trouble is the old gas is throughout the fuel system from the tank, to the lines, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rails and even in the injectors, where it has probably just turned to some nasty gasoline/varnish/gum stuff.

You might have good luck draining out the old gas -- carefully it is still flammable -- and adding a few gallons of fresh gas with a dose of fuel system cleaner. Techron comes to mind.

The idea is the fresh gas will force the old gas out of the lines and injectors and flush the system of old gas.

Not sure I like the above though cause it subjects the fuel pressure regulator and injectors to who knows what the gas has turned into in the 18 months. The new gas might not even flow throughout the system if the lines are blocked with the remains of the old gasoline.

Another solution and I think better solution though with more work is to remove the injectors and have them cleaned or even just replace them with new ones. With the injectors disconnected then run the fuel pump to flush out the fuel lines and pressure regulator.

Be very careful working with gas lines disconnected.

Connect the new injectors and be sure fuel system pressure and fluid tight.

Might want to drain the oil and change the filter while you're there. I'd just replace the battery too rather than try to nurse a battery that has sat around for 18 months back to any kind of likely temporary health.

I know the replacement of the injectors and battery seems extreme but without proper preparation before putting the car away for 18 months of non-use this can be the price you pay.

Once you get car on the road again I'd treat the car to a brake fluid flush/bleed and have the A/C charge checked. A/C seals can dry out and leak refrigerant. The seals won't swell again with A/C use so you'll likely have to have the seals replaced and the system recharged with fresh refrigerant and pump oil. The dryer might need replacing too.

I don't know under what circumstances the car stored but it might have a colony of rodents present. This can be a real pain to deal with. I hope rodents haven't set up housekeeping in the car in its 18 months of idleness.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, my car sat for 2 years and started/ran with no problems. It was stored with a full tank of gas (prior to ethanol being introduced) in order to minimize area for condensation to build up.
Ran it down to near Empty, added Techron, filled up with fresh gas and drove.
I didn't add Stabil that time either IIRC.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, my car sat for 2 years and started/ran with no problems. It was stored with a full tank of gas (prior to ethanol being introduced) in order to minimize area for condensation to build up.
Ran it down to near Empty, added Techron, filled up with fresh gas and drove.
I didn't add Stabil that time either IIRC.
Unbelieveable. I mean, I believe you but it is still well I'm amazed.

Then maybe all I suggested not needed.

But with engine not running he's in for a bit of investigation to determine what's wrong.

OP can try topping off gas tank with some fresh gas and see if that fixes the symptom. If it does, ok. If not...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for your good advice. Ill try what you said Macster with taking the injectors off and then putting some fresh gas in and do the oil change etc, its a bit bare and doesnt have a/c tho!
I will post back once i get it sorted....

Cheers
Miles
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how to solve your problem, but I do use Stabil in my car during winter because it mostly just sits.

What I really wanted to say is, NICE CAR ! Please tell me a little about it.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Miles965uk
Thanks guys for your good advice. Ill try what you said Macster with taking the injectors off and then putting some fresh gas in and do the oil change etc, its a bit bare and doesnt have a/c tho!
I will post back once i get it sorted....

Cheers
Miles
Just noticed the car's a race car. This is was probably parked with race gas in its gas tank? Racing gas may not be as tolerant to sitting around as non-racing gas.

If you know what you're doing you can remove the injectors and have them professionally cleaned. I read UK published car mags -- both general car mags and mags specifically targeted to Porsches -- and I know from them there are shops in the UK that offer injector cleaning.

These cleaning systems also allow the tech to view the amount of fluid each injector allows through and to view the spray patterns and ensure all injectors have the same spray pattern and flow the same amount of fluid and this amount is at the rated flow rate of the injectors. For a race engine this is critical, of course.

With the injectors off being cleaned you can rig up some kind of catch system then run the fuel pump and pump the old gas out of the tank along with some fresh (non-racing) gas until the fuel looks clear and fresh.

Or you can open up the gas tank, remove what you can of the old gas, then seal tank and add fresh gas then run the fuel pump so the only old gas in the system is the small amount in the fuel lines.

Be sure you check fuel flow and pressure, to make sure the old gas has not interfered with the ability of the fuel system and pressure regulator to deliver the necessary amount of fuel and at the correct pressure. Again, with a race car engine this is critical. You don't want fuel starvation at high engine speeds. This can of course reduce power output or cause engine to go lean and burn a piston or a valve.

At some point you'll want to replace the fuel filter I'm sure.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting: old gas?