Sponsored by:

Car transport review: a sad story

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
asgor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car transport review: a sad story

From time to time the question is posed in these forums about a trustworthy carrier for transporting a vehicle form a location to another. I know I relied on the information I found on this forum as well.

Time to “give back to the community”.

Car tranport carrier used: 1st class Auto Transport ("the undisputed name that boasts experience and knowledge in the proper management of your vehicle and car transport" - their Web site recites).

Beware: this is simply a Broker. They will subcontract transport to any other carrier: this means that your car will be transported by someone you haven’t selected and you know nothing about. Please see below my review of “Lamb Transport”, the carrier that 1st class Auto Transport so wisely selected for this shipment.

This is how it works: 1st Auto Transport will provide you with a quote. At pickup time your credit card will be charged with the amount that is equivalent to their profit from their brokerage transaction. The remainder is the actual cost of transportation that needs to be paid to the driver at delivery. As you can imagine the promptness with which phone calls are returned and issues resolved decreases drastically after the deposit has been paid - that is, when you need them the most once the vehicle is on the truck. In my case no effort was spared on their part to “pass the Buck” in my repeated attempts to get the carrier to actually deliver the car.

About Lamb Transport… how can I say this… ah, here: run! Don’t just walk away from these people… run. Here’s my horror story.

Car was picked up in California on Nov. 17 for delivery to Virginia. The pick-up goes more or less as expected - no complaints there. Upon contacting dispatch I am told that the car will be delivered on Monday 23, although it quite likely will take less than that “but we’ll say Monday to be sure”. OK, great, that sounds promising.

Two days later the truck driver is back at home-base in Colorado. Upon calling the driver he tells me that he can’t say for sure when he will deliver the car because he doesn’t know exactly what other pickups/dropoffs he has to do along the way. OK, again it sounds fair enough - I ask him to keep in touch to let me know as he is getting closer to Virginia.

Not having heard a word from the driver I call him on Sunday 22 and leave a message. Not having heard from him again on Monday I call Dispatch (not easy to get a hold of, but eventually after several tries I get lucky). I am told that the driver is in Chicago needing to do a drop off that can only be done on business hours. OK, what can I say: sounds like the car transport business is more complicated than I thought. “Can I get a new delivery time estimate at this point?” I ask. “Sure” I am told: “he will deliver your car on Wednesday 25: he’ll call you on Tuesday to give you a two-hour window”.

On Tuesday 24, after having heard nothing at all from anyone I call the driver: he tells me that he has a busy schedule ahead: he is headed to Wisconsin for a drop off, then to Chicago again, then to New York for a drop off and perhaps a pickup as well, and then “he’ll be making his way down to Virginia: I‘ll try to shoot for the week-end”. “Whaaat?“ I say. His response: “Hey, if I don’t pick up no cars I don’t make no money”. Yeah, how about delivering the cars (such as mine) for which the money has already been agreed on? I decide to call Dispatch: again after several tries someone eventually decides to answer the phone. I explain to the Dispatcher what the driver told me and after a period on hold she proceeds to say that “that driver is crazy: let me contact him and I’ll call you right back with an update”, she says.

Can you guess: “call you right back” means - as it’s often the case - “you’ll never hear from me again”. Later I repeatedly try to call Dispatch but no one picks up the phone.

Stay tuned: I’ll update this narrative as this sad story unfolds.

Last edited by asgor; 11-25-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

It would be nice to read the sad part of the story.
Looks like you did a bad edit today at 05:46 AM
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a couple occasions to use auto transporters. A lot of the companies that advertise on the web are merely brokers who "hope" they can get a transporter to take your car for the price they bid. If they aren't able to come through then you don't get charged. Of course that's little consolation if you need to have the car moved on a schedule.

Earlier this year I moved 3 cars from NJ to TX using Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS). Although they are a large transporter that uses terminals in major cities I was able to get my cars on a covered transporter that went straight through with no off-loading and same drivers. I was actually quite impressed with the service and care they took with the vehicles.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis: What do you mean he did a "bad edit at 5:46 AM"??
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Dennis: What do you mean he did a "bad edit at 5:46 AM"??
Earlier in the day, the story was incomplete and ended mid-sentence before he named Lamb Transport in the 4th paragraph and the last edit time was 5:46 AM.

I was waiting to hear the rest of the story too.

Asgor, hope the car gets there safely. Keeps us updated.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM
asgor
Intermediate

Default Update

Update:

Today on Wednesday before Thanksgiving obviously no one is answering the phones. I suspect the same will happen on Thanksgiving (rightly so, everyone needs some time off to spend with their family), the day after Thanksgiving (because it’s… the day after Thanksgiving) and I was just informed by the recording on the Lamb Transport dispatch phone line that they will reopen on Monday 30 November. So until then no updates, no nothing. Just great.

Sooo… you are thinking: call up your broker. I did: left a message but no response. Were you expecting anything different?

Listen to me: stay away from 1st (First) Class Auto Transport as well as Lamb Transport.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Update to the update

Ah, the power of the Internet. Apparently I was lucky enough to run into a Web site that – as it turns out – is the bread-and-butter of most car transport companies. That is, where customers looking for transport go look up carriers based on reviews left by other customers.

Within hours from posting my scathing review of both 1st Class Auto Transport and Lamb Transport I have received a phone call from the broker who specifically went to the his office today to deal with my “emergency”. I will leave everyone’s dignity intact, but let me just say that I was implored to remove or rectify my review if a favorable resolution could be cooked up.

Suddenly my phone started ringing again! First the broker (as I described) and then 30 minutes later even the truck driver called me! Imagine that! To make a long story short now I have a firm delivery day on Friday (day after Thanksgiving) – well… when I say firm I mean that I was told it could be Saturday (I guess one can’t teach a donkey to dance, but at this point who’s counting…?).

More later as this saga unfolds...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Know you don't want to hear this but why would you not use Intercity, FedEx or any other major carrier.
Good luck on solveing your problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fstede1
Know you don't want to hear this but why would you not use Intercity, FedEx or any other major carrier.
Good luck on solveing your problem.
Faced with the need to move a disabled car some distance and found a web site that allowed me to fill in particulars and received maybe 6 replies, offers to transport car. Some prices attractive compared to what I was facing regarding having car flat bedded by tow company.

If one hasn't used a car transport service before the responses can be a lot to sift through.

To make matters worse I was under time pressure and probably would have made the wrong decision. As it was I went back to tow truck operator and managed to get a discount and assurances car would be on the road in hours. It was and arrived safe and sound.

So I can understand how one might make the wrong choice though it seemed the right choice at the time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
asgor
Intermediate

After much arm wrestling the broker through which this ordeal was originally booked (First Class Auto Transport) steps in and returns one of my calls at the end of Wednesday 25. “They are going to deliver the car on Friday 27 - haven’t they called you to let you know?” No” I say “I haven’t heard a word from them but thank you for the information: I hope you are right”.

On Thursday 26 I attempt to make contact with the driver to confirm the date: he is unavailable and I leave a message. My call isn’t returned. On Friday 27 I attempt to make yet another contact with the driver to confirm the date: he is unavailable and I leave a message. My call isn’t returned.

At this point it is clear to all parties involved that both First Class Auto Transport (directly) and Lamb Transport (indirectly) have a pretty pissed off customer (me), and one would think that if yet another promise of delivery is made it wouldn’t be broken, right? Wrong: on Friday 27 after having heard absolutely nothing from the driver I contact the broker to ask for further clarification (this is his personal cell phone number where he specifically asked me to call him if needing further assistance). He is unavailable and I leave a message. Eventually he returns my call, but he, too, is unable to reach anyone at Lamb Transport (or the driver) to get an update. They don’t even answer the broker’s calls!

You guessed it: obviously the car won’t be delivered on Friday 27: what’s worse is that no one called me or returned my calls to let me know - after promising yet another time a bogus delivery date. And at this point I don’t even know where the car is, if it still intact, when it is likely to be delivered (if I even cared to believe their promises anymore), as no one is keeping in touch. This is truly amazing: without fear of generating a hyperbole I can honestly say that this is by far the worst customer experience I’ve ever had.

Sooo… the driver eventually calls me in the morning of Saturday 28: “I’ll deliver the car on Tuesday 1 - I hope”. “Whaaat?” I say. “That’s the third promised delivery date that has come and gone: what gives?”. As it turns out more pick ups and drop offs along the way have determined this last change of events. Unbelievable, but at least I heard back from the driver (after three days trying to make contact with him). Considering how sad this whole story is, this almost sounds like a bright spot!

For the record, he is only 300 miles away from my house right now, but he can’t detour (remember? At this point I am what most companies would deem a severely pissed off customer - but no matter!) because of fuel cost constraints. Hmmm… I see… a wise decision, indeed!

Will the fourth promised delivery slip into oblivion like the first three? Stay tuned to find out…
Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck. I thought Friday seemed to good to be true.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

You have done well to tell the tale here! Thank you for alerting us all to what "car transport" can entail.

This one makes my earlier rant on one of the BIG guys that are usually spoken so well of on this forum seem insignificant.

You would be well advised, I think, to spend a couple of hours CAREFULLY examining your vehicle after it's unloaded. You're not the only one who is pissed off at this point.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for warning us about these companies. This sucks, and I know what you are going through. I'd try to get a refund or at least a discount. Please tell us when you get your car, so we can breathe a collective sigh of relief.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
You would be well advised, I think, to spend a couple of hours CAREFULLY examining your vehicle after it's unloaded. You're not the only one who is pissed off at this point.
I second this. And not that you want to hear this, but my thought also runs to whether it's a stall tactic to begin with.

Thank you for posting this. Let's hope the story spreads.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS), car was 993 was fropped off in Denver and picked up today in Linden, NJ. Fair price no problems, and no brokers. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Has your car been on an open air carrier this whole time?

Quick Reply: Car transport review: a sad story