Europipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Europipe

I know that the tonal quality of an exhaust can change over time. My EP2 Loud has just over 20k miles on it, and it's sound has changed some over the years (for the better). But lately I've noticed a new sound and I'm wondering if it is the EP, or something else. Starting at 4400 RPM, in any gear, there is a new lower sound now...kind of a roar. There is a slight increase in vibration when the sound starts, but this is probably just the result of the LWFW magnifying the sound through the car.

Anyone notice changes in the sound of their Europipe that matches what I'm hearing?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

hard to say if it matches your, but mine has definitely changed over time...deeper and better.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The EP2 Loud without question has quite a range of sounds/tones as the RPMs rise. The LWFW just magnifies the sounds even more, and even causes some interesting harmonics sometimes.

The "new" sound isn't a bad sound at all, as long as it is a result of the exhaust "aging". My concern though is that it may be something else, like an alternator bearing, or pulley bearing.

There is a mechanic at the dealer that has extensive Porsche racing experience (as a mechanic), and I've got an appointment tomorrow for him to do a ride-along and listen to the engine. He said they have electronics available (if required) that allows them to place pickups on the engine/transmission/suspension and electronically listen for sounds to pin point possible problem areas.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dock, have him check the pulley bearing right below the power steering pump. Mine just went bad and my tech thought it was the PSpump. Needless to say that cost me, but it was the pulley instead. When it started acting up, there was an rpm related whine to it. Could only be heard at lower rpm's{in my car} until the exhaust note overtook it. BTW, I have a Europipe too, but the stage 2 quiet version. Good luck sorting this out.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
TURBOTURBO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dock, if you ever want to get rid of that old woreout europipe let me know..
Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, my EP2 Loud is deeper and better after about 5000 miles
Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 12K on my EP now and it has gotten a bit deeper, but seems to be so much more mellow and .....I guess the best word is sophisticated. I had a fellow drive up and park next to me the other day and he got out as I was getting ready to leave and asked.....Do you mind if I just stand here and listen to you start and rev up the engine....he loved the sound of the EP and had me tap the accelerator a few times. The only thing I did that was different, was that I put in a set of the EVO race headers (waste of money really....stock headers ported and polished will do just fine)....and the addition of the headers did deepen the sound a tad bit. I get a bit of a really nice mellow burble upon deceleration.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had a very qualified Porsche mechanic ride with me and we spent quite a bit of time exploring all RPM ranges. He heard what I was talking about, but told me that it did not point to anything mechanically worn or damaged. He did a detailed inspection of the engine, wheels, and drivetrain and concluded that the noise was a combination of the current EP tonal quality mixing with engine, transmission, and tire sounds...amplified by the LWFW.

Quick Reply: Europipe