Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With VW taking control of Porsche, how long will the 911 last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they will leave the 911 alone, it's a money maker. Everything else is probably fair game.
As to the future of Porsche racing, I think it is very bright. Piech was the father of the whole 917 project, he likes to compete at the highest levels on a world stage, think R8/R10/R15. I predict you will see the old "Porsche-Audi" livery at LeMans in the near future. Moreso, I could envision a return to F1 in the next few years after the world economy stabilizes. So how bout that, a Porsche in F1 financed by VW . Could happen, just my .02
Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizashozay
there are no vw models competing w/ those. not even a mid engine vw. r32 is their sportiest model, and it would get ruined on the track by a cayman s.
You are correct, but that is not to say that there were not VAG proposals for cars which were cancelled due to PAG's concern that they were 'too close' to the Boxster/Cayman. A couple of them were beautifully designed cars.

That is no longer the case and I would imagine those designs (time corrected to reflect the new operating realities) will re-emerge.

VAG has been successful being very careful to 'decontent' cars to maintain pricing points between model variants and position it's VW and Audi brands in a complimentary fashion. PAG will be forced into this operating model, perhaps 911 aside.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, "STICK WITH SPORTS CARS" !!!

jason
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cayenne is already built with mostly VW parts, and the Cayman is not far behind. There are many cars in the VAG group that compete in the same market segment as the 91 - Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo - to name a few. Still, with more VW parts going into the 911, it will become cheaper to produce (as we have seen with the new A91 engine), so the 911 will become even more profitable for VAG, although maybe at the cost of build quailty.

Quick Reply: With VW taking control of Porsche, how long will the 911 last?