Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking scenic Colorado roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just returned from Colorado Thursday PM and will say that the drive on Rte 9 from Royal Gorge to Frisco was the most amazing drive I have ever taken. Unfortunately, I did it in an RV and not a Porsche, but it was still awsome. It would be that much better in a 911.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a week of driving West TX, New Mexico and Colorado.
3000 miles,, very little traffic on most roads,, and very few patrol cars as well.
What more could I have asked for?
I drove the car hard every chance I could and it ran like a top the whole trip.
Coming from TX, I have to admit that some of the Colorado roads are a bit intimidating for driving hard. No room for error in those mountains,, none,, YouColorado guys are probably used to them, but I found myself gawking at the scenery so often I did not do a lot of fast driving in your great state. Now New Mexico is another story,, Oh Yeah ! Nothing like getting a good look at a couple of miles of nothing but smooth tarmac in front of you in the middle of nowhere !
All in all, I stayed on 2 lane roads, and just drove till my eyeballs bleed !
It was a bit depressing to get back to the TX heat after breathing that cool mountain air for a week
Now I better get to washing the bugs and road grime off the old steed, and give her an oil change.
Thanks for the tips for routes through Colorado. Next time, I am going to allow a few more days to relax in some of the cool little mining towns up there.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Shane D
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great drive

It really is a great place to drive isn't it? I have never seen that kind of variety before anywhere. I was there the 3rd to the 8th and rented a corvette. First longish drive was Denver to Breckenridge. Those mountain roads are really scary to a noobie. My concierge at the hotel lent me a radar detector. I passed it back sheepishly saying it had served no purpose since I drove like a ***** the whole way!
Did you check out Look-off Mountain? That was the toughest cork screw I have EVER seen!

And then another day we simply headed east on the I25 and there was flat straights going on forever. As soon as I started to get excited I was wishing I still had that radar detector. After reading horror stories about getting caught too high up in the range and going to jail/losing car your car I chickened out. However you can do 100mph all day long and VERY safely.

Colorado really has something for every taste!

Quick Reply: Seeking scenic Colorado roads