Sponsored by:

$35,000

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $35,000

That's the offer a Pcar dealer made for my car today. Car is a 2003 996 Turbo with 24k miles. It is Black on Black, with Tiptronic and likely would be sold by them as a CPO car.

Car is perfect except 2 small blemishes smaller than a quarter.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course. If you want a fair price sell it privately.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer will always low ball you. They are in the business to make money.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Dealer will always low ball you. They are in the business to make money.
And here I thought they were in business to screw customers....
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default June 14 bought an 03 Turbo with approx. 9500 miles car in pristine...

Originally Posted by SnP
That's the offer a Pcar dealer made for my car today. Car is a 2003 996 Turbo with 24k miles. It is Black on Black, with Tiptronic and likely would be sold by them as a CPO car.

condition and included a 2 year/100K CPO warranty. Paid $57.7. Dealer asking at one time $62K.

To CPO car dealer replaced original tires (7 years old) with new Contis. Car came with car cover original owner had in car when he disposed of it.

Car stickered new at $119K.

My research at time I bought found 2003 Turbo auction prices ranging from $33250 with 71K miles and below average condition to $48200 with 10.8K miles in above average condition.

An average condition car with 34.2K miles sold for $41K.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_
And here I thought they were in business to screw customers....
You say tomatoe, I say tomato.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP

Dealer will lowball you.
I will pay you $36K and take the car off your hands.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:56 PM
SnP
Racer

I never had any trouble in Dallas being treated with a reasonable amount of respect at dealerships.

I'm thinking it's a Chicago thing.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SnP
I never had any trouble in Dallas being treated with a reasonable amount of respect at dealerships.

I'm thinking it's a Chicago thing.
I am sorry, but "respect" and "dealership" just doesn't belong in the same sentence.
OK, how about $36.5K.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:29 PM
SnP
Racer

The last half dozen cars I have traded have always been somewhere between the trade-in value and the private party retail price from edmunds. Those number are 42 and 48 right now for my car.

Perhaps it's the economy, perhaps it's Edmunds, but 35 and 48 are a long, long way apart.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Price not fact only an opinion and dealer in offering you $35K for ...

Originally Posted by SnP

The last half dozen cars I have traded have always been somewhere between the trade-in value and the private party retail price from edmunds. Those number are 42 and 48 right now for my car.

Perhaps it's the economy, perhaps it's Edmunds, but 35 and 48 are a long, long way apart.
your car just giving you his opinion.

You're trying to sell him a car. You should have had your own opinion as to what car is worth and used his offer to present your own offer, IOWS make a car sale attempt.

If you're trading in car to buy another there's plenty of room to offer you more trade in. You have to know market and conditions though to know just how much higher dealer can and will go.

Also, if dealer makes you out to be a trade in buyer -- a buyer who is focused more on what he's going to get or wants to get for his trade in vs what the total out the door price is -- he's going to use that to charge you more, get you to pay more for the car you're trying to buy with your trade in.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 PM
SnP
Racer

I said I was looking for 45 and the dealer started in on a spiel about how you shouldn't buy Porsches if you aren't ready to lose money on them.

Guy was a real tool.

Ultimately, the guy made a commissionless sale - sold me on keeping my current car.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Should have countered he bought the car before you tried to buy it....

Originally Posted by SnP
I said I was looking for 45 and the dealer started in on a spiel about how you shouldn't buy Porsches if you aren't ready to lose money on them.

Guy was a real tool.

Ultimately, the guy made a commissionless sale - sold me on keeping my current car.
and what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Rule #1 is everything car salesman says is intended to get you buy now and pays as much for car as possible. Some saleman are better at coming with things to say that are better at getting this idea across than others.

I had one salesman show me pictures of his child in a wheel chair when I was balking at paying the price on a car I was trying to buy from him.

I've only done two deals that involved a trade in and a trade in complicates things. Essentially you are walking onto a car dealer's lot and telling him you're there to sell him a car. With all the unsold inventory that's the last thing he needs, another car, unless he can get car at price that makes it worth his while. And in this market that means he's going to pay as little as he can and if he loses sale at least he didn't buy a car to sell a car.

Car dealer buys used cars with his operating money. A new car his bank buys and he just pays bank a flooring fee every month. Dealer can have a lot of new cars on lot and still not be out too much money. Too many used cars though eats up his operating money.

If he buys your car he may not have funds to buy a car from another buyer tomorrow that is less concerned about price. You are competing against a certain percentage of buyers of these cars to which price is of secondary importance and may be even lower down than that.

Car salesman are optimists. They have to be. Sales manangers are more pragmatic. If sales manager can sell a car at some profit he's going to think about it, even if it means he has to buy a used car to make the sale.

Did salesman ever take your offer to manager? If not then you're just talking to the lowest rankikng person at the dealership, in most cases.

However, when I bought my Cayman salesman pretty savvy and worked with me researching/confirming my trade-in's value before taking my offer to his manager. The difficulty was I wanted more money than "blue book" indicated car worth on trade in. And this higher than probably actual wholesale value. But I bought the car and got $1500 more for my trade in than the book indicated it was worth.

(A few weeks later found my trade in on another car dealership lot owned by same person who owns the Porsche dealer. Car listed at $18999 (advertised as marked down from $20999!) when my trade in allowance was $14,500.!)

When I bought my Turbo I insisted we move close to manager who was in next building, not even the Porsche dealership building. I had been at dealer night before and watched another person try to buy this Turbo and watched his salesman walk next door with offer and counter offer over and over again. Maybe. Salesman might have just been walking out of sight to smoke and kill some time. I don't think so, I think this dealer more honorable than that but I've seen it done at other dealerships.

My salesman and I got office next door to manager and I watched salesman take my offer into his manager and I heard some of the discussion enough to know he was presenting my offer and not talking baseball.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Pauly90266
Instructor

Originally Posted by Land Jet
You say tomatoe, I say tomato.
Landjet, I found your twin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That car has been on Ebay for the last year or more. Do you think they will ever sell it? I would take it for 30k but no more.

Quick Reply: $35,000