Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Lewis, I was agreeing with you and Kevin... That said, I think it benefits the membership when accurate information is posted... People come to these forums looking for answers. Fact based information and informative discussions from a point of experience is helpful... Arguing just for the sake of digging in after someone has been proven incorrect is the "nonsense" that doesn't help to promote the usefulness of Rennlist.

That was my point about the "madness"...

Mike

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, the Porsche mechanic who told me to pull the fuel pump relay fuse after storage is someone who is held in very high regard by Porsche Germany. He has been invited to Germany many times by Porsche. He has decades of Porsche experience. I would never second guess any advice he gives me regarding my cars...ever.

As for the madness, differing opinions are within the RL guidelines.
It is unto the individual member to use the information and opinions posted in an adult manner and come to their own conclusion,

Besides, there is nothing like discussions regarding oil viscosity, tow vehicles or H&N restraints on Rennlist.

Carry on.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Nonsense about oilchange intervals and the "search" for something besides the manual to guide you on when you should change your oil.

In that thread somone argued that the manual was all they needed... Then it was proven that Porsche actually updated and SHORTENED the intervals, falling more in line with what most were recommending.

Then it was argued that oil analysis wasn't factual info to help one decide when they should or shouldn't change their oil. Comments like that make me wonder if the individual commenting had ever seen the test results from an oil analysis. If that was the case, then how in the hell could someone make that claim?

Bottom line is all of us "amatures" can have opinions. But when you have resources from the professional ranks (Like Kevin at UMW) who tear down these motors and inspect them with great frequency, who take their time to share valuable technical information, it really behooves us to listen and take notes.

Here's the biggest problem I have with discussions like this... The information from Porsche was updated because they weren't comfortable with the intervals. Just like the changes M1 made to oil formulas making M10W40 not so ideal for "some" conditions... The thing is, things change... As these cars were produced and used, data was evaluated and changes were required. To ignore that useful information is fine, so long as you do it on that side of the keyboard.. But arguing your point, when even the manufacturer says not to follow the information in the manual, well that's when it gets really dumb.

Mike

Originally Posted by Dock
What nonsense in the discussion about oil change intervals? Please be specific.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan to pull the fuse if she sits more than two weeks....

Should I start her twice a week, let temp get to 180, and then play with my revs for a bit, then wait two minutes to cool off....want to avoid stabil....

TIA
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is wrong with stabil? AFAIK, it is ethanol gas safe.
If you dont like ethanol during storage, buy a drum of VP MS93 unleaded race gas ... Zero ethanol, unleaded, perfect octane.

IMHO, starting a car during storage does introduce moisture buildup...usually if you start it, drive it.

Water temp us not the same as oil temp.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Lewis, I was agreeing with you and Kevin... That said, I think it benefits the membership when accurate information is posted... People come to these forums looking for answers. Fact based information and informative discussions from a point of experience is helpful... Arguing just for the sake of digging in after someone has been proven incorrect is the "nonsense" that doesn't help to promote the usefulness of Rennlist.

That was my point about the "madness"...

Mike
Agreed.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Then it was proven that Porsche actually updated and SHORTENED the intervals...To ignore that useful information is fine, so long as you do it on that side of the keyboard.. But arguing your point, when even the manufacturer says not to follow the information in the manual, well that's when it gets really dumb.
Porsche didn't shorten all the intervals.

And I don't ignore Porsche's oil change interval information.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Arguing just for the sake of digging in after someone has been proven incorrect is the "nonsense" that doesn't help to promote the usefulness of Rennlist.
Who was proven incorrect, and what specifically were they proven incorrect about?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Jaydoggster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add Title
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaydoggster
Add Title
Add title?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

FYI, I found Mobil 1 5w50 locally (Atlanta) at Napa.... $5.79/qt.

wsh
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WSH
FYI, I found Mobil 1 5w50 locally (Atlanta) at Napa.... $5.79/qt.

wsh
At which specific NAPA store in ATL did you find it?

Dock
Atlanta
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Napa in Sandy Springs.
called a few stores but nothing
found out 5w50 is apparently the fill for hot Mustangs (Shelbys ?)...called a few Ford dealers and the (Very nice) lady service mgr at Sandy Springs Ford said to try the Napa in SS...sure enough they had 18 qts of 5w40 and 12 qts of 5w50 (now gone, since they are in my car )

wsh
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WSH
Napa in Sandy Springs.
called a few stores but nothing
found out 5w50 is apparently the fill for hot Mustangs (Shelbys ?)...called a few Ford dealers and the (Very nice) lady service mgr at Sandy Springs Ford said to try the Napa in SS...sure enough they had 18 qts of 5w40 and 12 qts of 5w50 (now gone, since they are in my car )

wsh
I've been checking the NAPAs in Cobb for some time and they don't/won't carry 5W50.

I've still got three cases I ordered but when that gets low I'll try the SS NAPA. Thanks for the point out.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Nikkolaki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a big difference between M1 5w50 and castrol syntec 5w50?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikkolaki
is there a big difference between M1 5w50 and castrol syntec 5w50?
While the viscosities are the same, I'm sure the oils are "different". How different? I don't know.

I plan on running M1 5W50 in my Boxster for about 2 years (used 5W40 Red Line for about 4 years). I'm in year # 1 right now. May try Castrol after that. I do Used Oil Analysis, so I should be able to make the right decision/choice.

Quick Reply: Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today