Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Hit mule deer with "new" Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Don't know for sure, but deer probably in world of hurt...

Originally Posted by Oak
bummer, how about a slant nose? hate to ask, how's the deer doing?
As you can see its head/shoulders really bent car's sheet metal so I'm sure deer hurt.

No blood on car, ground.

Went back to scene of accident next day and tracked deer's progress up slope from wash to shoulder of road.

Saw where it was standing as it moved out into path of car. Saw one large and very irreqular hoof print as deer tried to pull back from path of car.

Didn't knock deer over and I was able to then follow its tracks down slope -- on slightly different course than it used coming up slope.

No blood sign. No sign of dragging leg/foot but very easy to see one hoof print quite a bit deeper than other 2 (rear). May have been 4th print but faint. Ground kind of rocky but I managed to track deer's path down into wash bed but trail getting harder to follow as wash surface more rocky the slope down from road way.

Looked around and didn't see deer carcass. Not much ground cover. Just small bushes of sage and clumps of desert grass.

No signs of vultures overhead but even if deer down and dead not long enough to draw vultures yet.

So, don't know but leg or shoulder probably broken.

Since sun warming ground I had no desire to run into snakes coming out for a bit of sun so turned around and head back up to car.

Not happy about that but nothing I could have done other than not be there at all. Goes for deer too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Car not driveable -- radiator busted and coolant leaked out.

Happened July 3rd 20 miles west of Ely NV on 50 highway.

Having heck of time with Allstate. Apparently car too far away from qualified Porsche repair shop so it balked at paying for any tow. Suggested I have car "temporarily fixed" there in town and drive car back to Livermore to have it fully repaired. Body shop where car towed not interested in fixing car and I would not have car fixed there even if body shop wanted to get involved. Not qualified to repair Porsches.

I could fill pages of the last few days' phone conversations with Allstate "adjusters", Allstate supervisors and tow companyies, dealerships, repair shops. Allstate apparently has not interest in helping me get car anywhere to be properly repaired.

If you own a Porsche Turbo or any Porsche car and have Allstate insurance you need to rethink your insurance company choice. I know I am after this over with.

Car on way back to Livermore with tow being paid out of my pocket. Will turn tow bill into insurance company.

Just got through dealing with Farmers with my 08 Cayman S which was hit and totaled May 1st by dumb *** driver in '89 Volvo and now this.

Sincerely,

Macster
I have wrecked my car like that several times on the track, both sides. really there is not much there to fix, I have had it apart and done it twice, you may want to take it somewhere you can trust and just get it fixed. I got my fender same color off ebay for $300. only thing that costs alot is the head light. but still get them off ebay for $500.
good luck with the repair and it really is not much damage.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I carry that extra rider thru AAA that extends a tow up to 100 miles....good for four "events" a year. No hassle if and when you have to use it. Used it several times when I first got the slant....the usual bugs that infect a car that's been sitting around undriven for a couple years. I get great gas mileage on the back of a flatbed tow truck!!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Car a CPO car still. For this to remain in effect damages must be repaired by a shop that is recognized by Porsche as qualified to repair Porsches, has proper equipment, paint experience, etc.

Checked with PCNA and all parts must be bought thru PCNA. No second hand, salvage, reconditioned parts. All parts bought thru authorized Porsche dealer and all mechanical parts (radiator, A/C condensor, etc.) must be installed by qualified Porsche tech.

If car not under CPO warranty I might consider fixing it myself but I want to keep CPO warranty in effect.

Oh, I am member of AAA Premier auto club, and get at least 200 mile tow but this still nearly 400 miles short of where car needs to go. In fact 200 miles would not even get car from Ely NV to LV NV or Reno CA.

It might get car from Reno to Livermore (210 miles). I'll be submitting tow claims for the next 6 months I think but I'll get reimbursed for most of the cost of the tow.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Looks like you're covered about as well as you can get for towing purposes then....if it's CPO...there's authorized Porsche dealerships in Reno...or do you want to get it home to have it worked on? If you need a ride...I'll come get you in Reno...I live in Sacramento....but if you're like me, I want to be where i can go oversee the repairs and have a hands-on approach.

Let me know if I can help....us retired guys need something meaningful to do once in a while and helping a fellow P-car owner is meaningful..
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck, if your ever in the Memphis area, I have some patio deck work I could use some help with!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mitch: I DO have geographical limitations to the offer....and unless I can work sitting in the driver's seat, I seem to lose interest in the project.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Macster, really sorry to hear the news. Hope you're able to get back on the road real soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear that man... I never cancelled my AAA plus with 100 mile towing because of that towing issue.. sucks..
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Thanks for offer. I'm home now and so's Turbo. Had it towed ...

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Looks like you're covered about as well as you can get for towing purposes then....if it's CPO...there's authorized Porsche dealerships in Reno...or do you want to get it home to have it worked on? If you need a ride...I'll come get you in Reno...I live in Sacramento....but if you're like me, I want to be where i can go oversee the repairs and have a hands-on approach.

Let me know if I can help....us retired guys need something meaningful to do once in a while and helping a fellow P-car owner is meaningful..
flat bedded from Ely NV to Livermore CA.

Insurance company will get this bill.

I went on by Beechcraft turboprop to Moab UT then Denver CO and by rental car to KC Mo and beyond.

Dropped off rental car yesterday pm and caught USAir flight into Oakland CA airport. Home by 10pm after $100 shuttle ride (includes tip).

Insurance company will get bill for rental car(s) at least.

Up this AM and at body shop to view car.

Talked to body shop owner. Ins. company dragging its feet now on even authorizing teardown to more accurately estimate damage.

Oh, again thanks for kind offer of help. Very nice of you to offer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:46 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you are allright.
The towing issue is a bummer. Good reson to be insured with State Farm. State Farms Emergency Road Service coverage provides towing to nearest authorized dealer. Once spun my alternator out of Santa Paula. Got flat bedded to closeset Porsche store in Monteray. Tow bill was $465. Reinbursed by State Farm no questions asked.

Good Luck
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default My sources....

Originally Posted by fstede1
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you are allright.
The towing issue is a bummer. Good reson to be insured with State Farm. State Farms Emergency Road Service coverage provides towing to nearest authorized dealer. Once spun my alternator out of Santa Paula. Got flat bedded to closeset Porsche store in Monteray. Tow bill was $465. Reinbursed by State Farm no questions asked.

Good Luck
tell me all insurance companies have sunk to new lows regarding customer service and claims settlements. Companies are setting up aduster pools staffed by know nothings that simply read/quote from cards taped to monitors at phone station. One doesn't get the same adjuster twice and the one adjuster one last spoke with never seems to be available. This goes for supervisors/managers too.

These adjuster pools are often located in out of the way areas where unemployment is high and not much work choices so the pressure is on the adjusters to agree to pay out as little as possible regardless of the claim's validity and to not offer any claim help unless one can quote chapter/verse of his state's insurance regulations/rules.

But State Farm is not quite at the bottom yet. Farmers also comes in for some positive comments. In some cases adjusters have been in repair industry and know cars and know the repair business and deal with claims in a rather fair manner. However these knowledgable adjusters not being replaced when they retire/leave the company with similarly knowledgable adjusters and just recently I believe it is Farmers that has gone to using aduster pools.

But other companies... Mine advised me to have car partially repaired then drive it nearly 700 miles home to have it completely repaired. A knowledgable repair shop I spoke with in LV NV told me car not considered roadworthy and safe unless 100% repaired to Porsche standards. The one shop in LV qualified to repair the car was not on insurance company's Pro Shop list and thus no tow to this shop authorized. I could have had car towed to GM dealer in LV though...

Car insurance companies... Make the Khmer Rouge look like the Boy Scouts.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Blue Monster
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, just read this thread, very sorry to hear, that just sucks, wish you all the best

Quick Reply: Damn! Hit mule deer with "new" Turbo...