Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Hit mule deer with "new" Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Damn! Hit mule deer with "new" Turbo...

Car not driveable -- radiator busted and coolant leaked out.

Happened July 3rd 20 miles west of Ely NV on 50 highway.

Having heck of time with Allstate. Apparently car too far away from qualified Porsche repair shop so it balked at paying for any tow. Suggested I have car "temporarily fixed" there in town and drive car back to Livermore to have it fully repaired. Body shop where car towed not interested in fixing car and I would not have car fixed there even if body shop wanted to get involved. Not qualified to repair Porsches.

I could fill pages of the last few days' phone conversations with Allstate "adjusters", Allstate supervisors and tow companyies, dealerships, repair shops. Allstate apparently has not interest in helping me get car anywhere to be properly repaired.

If you own a Porsche Turbo or any Porsche car and have Allstate insurance you need to rethink your insurance company choice. I know I am after this over with.

Car on way back to Livermore with tow being paid out of my pocket. Will turn tow bill into insurance company.

Just got through dealing with Farmers with my 08 Cayman S which was hit and totaled May 1st by dumb *** driver in '89 Volvo and now this.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Good luck with the insurance company and repairs.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh that sucks

Thankfully you are OK. Sheet metal can be fixed even if it is a painful process with the insurance clowns.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Macster,

Sorry for the misadventure.

As you've now learned the hard way, it's not a good idea to travel across Nevada at night. The deer and worse yet, the horses, seem to be drawn to the roads at night. A Nevada state trooper explained this to us on a moto trip we were on once upon a time. Don't ask why he was talking to us.

He told one story of a trucker being killed at night when his rig struck a wild horse.

Thank goodness you and and any pass. survived the ordeal unscathed!
Things could be much, much worse.

Phil
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mac, good luck with this.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac-

Sorry to hear. I nailed one a year ago in my (then new to me) 996TT.

Do keep in mind that a well repaired fender bender can be just as good as original- IMHO- there is nothing 'mystical' about factory paint.

This is not a 'collision' claim- animals are considered 'comprehensive', so it is not 'chargeable' against your policy history- (I also run really low deducts on comp since it is usually windshields I replace, seems one a year at least.

Oh, with mine accident I almost avoided it- I was doing 75 or so, and didn't hit the front, but got a bit sideways and he nailed me/I hit him right on the right turbo cooling inlet duct. Recovery from the slide was ...exciting.

Repairs uneventful- find the best shop, make your expectations known- and have them beat on the insurance.

GL:

A

PS First post from internet access on a commercial flight! AA from DFW to EWR. I was surprised- but very cool
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! Hate to see a car beat up like that. Not sure exactly what a mule deer is, but it must have been huge!

I would think that since the local shop would not even consider repairing the car, the insurance company would flip the bill for the tow. They are supposed to make whole your loss and that is what it takes. I would just get a statement from the local shop saying they would not touch it!

Good luck and glad you are ok!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and good time for new front bumper upgrade and clear side markers!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at it this way...things happen for a reason. maybe great opportunity to do some cosmetic upgrades. glad to know you were alright.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

bummer, how about a slant nose? hate to ask, how's the deer doing?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Texas, we can file a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance if the insurance company is dragging their feet. The insurance companies can't stand open complaints (at least in Texas in the past) and they will speed up repairing the car. File multiple complaints if the service is not done as promised or on time.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Was aware of risk. Wasn't going fast and sort of thought risk passed...

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Macster,

Sorry for the misadventure.

As you've now learned the hard way, it's not a good idea to travel across Nevada at night. The deer and worse yet, the horses, seem to be drawn to the roads at night. A Nevada state trooper explained this to us on a moto trip we were on once upon a time. Don't ask why he was talking to us.

He told one story of a trucker being killed at night when his rig struck a wild horse.

Thank goodness you and and any pass. survived the ordeal unscathed!
Things could be much, much worse.

Phil
cause hadn't seen deer sign at all whole way across NV. Accident happened at 9pm and this kind of late for deer to be moving. They are most active around dusk and dawn.

Guess this one overslept.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear (and see) this

Glad you are ok, sorry to hear your Allstate woes. I guess the Allstate TV commercials are indeed bogus -- what good hands?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Surprisingly worst thing you can do is swerve to attempt to miss....

Originally Posted by adam_
Mac-

Sorry to hear. I nailed one a year ago in my (then new to me) 996TT.

Do keep in mind that a well repaired fender bender can be just as good as original- IMHO- there is nothing 'mystical' about factory paint.

This is not a 'collision' claim- animals are considered 'comprehensive', so it is not 'chargeable' against your policy history- (I also run really low deducts on comp since it is usually windshields I replace, seems one a year at least.

Oh, with mine accident I almost avoided it- I was doing 75 or so, and didn't hit the front, but got a bit sideways and he nailed me/I hit him right on the right turbo cooling inlet duct. Recovery from the slide was ...exciting.

Repairs uneventful- find the best shop, make your expectations known- and have them beat on the insurance.

GL:

A

PS First post from internet access on a commercial flight! AA from DFW to EWR. I was surprised- but very cool

animal. I knew this and didn't, but not because of any superior car handling skill mainly I think cause didn't have enough time. Instinct is to try to dodge animal.

(NHP officer told me not uncommon for a tourist to end up off road trying to miss hitting rabbit or other small animal.)

No sign of deer on side of road before impact. Came right out from end of guard rail just as car moving past end of guardrail. All I saw was big head then felt solid impact as car and deer met.

My focus on keeping car under control cause I didn't know how bad impact was. Ready for tire blow out, wheel loss, you name it.

Car remained on course but heard noise that was damaged hardware rubbing against front tire. Then saw low coolant level light come on and knew my trip had come to an end.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Mule deer damn big deer. Don't have details but they're a larger animal...

Originally Posted by raineycd
Ouch! Hate to see a car beat up like that. Not sure exactly what a mule deer is, but it must have been huge!

I would think that since the local shop would not even consider repairing the car, the insurance company would flip the bill for the tow. They are supposed to make whole your loss and that is what it takes. I would just get a statement from the local shop saying they would not touch it!

Good luck and glad you are ok!
than the usual forest deer one sees around. Google mule deer or visit Wikipedia for details.

I saw one on Mines Rd behind Livermore one night and at first thought it was a horse. Then the deer shape became clearer in the dim light.

Also, what one doesn't realize is these are wild animals. They survive on their instincts and reaction times and strength/endurance.

In short if a deer's walking around it is damn healthy and powerful and solid. Not all soft and cuddly like.

Hitting one's like hitting sack of bricks.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Damn! Hit mule deer with "new" Turbo...