Sponsored by:

Firm steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firm steering wheel

I have PSS10’s fitted and car lowered to GT2 spec. I have also replaced supporting mount and ball bearing for the shocks as my old supporting mount had tear in the rubber and my previous stock shocks/H&R springs had developed a play in the supporting mount. My steering was quite light but has definitely got firmer now. Is this normal as you carry out suspension changes like mine? Bdw I prefer the beefier feel but was wondering if this is normal?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ball bearings for your shocks should always be replaced with muffler bearings.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oak
Ball bearings for your shocks should always be replaced with muffler bearings.
Very funny. You happy with yours then? Why don't you send me a set.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry simon dont know but if you do end up having a problem with your steering rack, I just replaced mine with the Cup car one. lighter faster but not for street use.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tom. It turns out my steering is actually the way it is supposed to be – nice and firm. I have checked this with mint 15K miles 911 turbo and steering feel is the same. I’ve motioned that there was play in the supporting mounts (rubber was shot) and that the bearings didn’t look too healthy either when coilovers were fitted. Well that was it. If your steering ever starts to feel very light that’s the culprit. I didn’t even know as I’ve had no reference point when I bought my car. But I always felt that the steering is very light but I’ve put this to engine at the back – light front - 911 trait. Which is still true but not to this extent. However I've attacked the problem the wrong way round because I was so used to the light steering that I thought something went wrong when steering got firmer. I am convinced mounts failed due to previous owner fitting just the H&R lowering springs. I therefore do not recommend anyone to lower their car just with springs. The stock shocks are too soft and eventually this will result in failure of supporting mounts and bearings at 60K miles = overly light steering wheel. Case closed.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

TKerr, does the Cup Car rack have a different steering ratio? Why isn't it for street use?

Quick Reply: Firm steering wheel